Transducer Location

fin-addict

Grandson In-law just installed a Lowrance 7ti unit that was gifted to him by one of our members. Many thanks to him to say the least.👍😀. He loves it.

The Transducer is a total scan. As many transducers, it looses depth reading once they hit a certain speed. He looses hitting 20-22 mph. Is this the norm for his sled. 1995 18’ Lappy Redfisher. Going to send a pic of location and will post. States it hangs straight out and 1” below the transom by his stb tab. If anyone has a sled like this or knows the correct location that info would be appreciated along with a photo. Going to do some research myself on this also if possible. Thanks much guys.

DF92404E-8E31-4933-98B2-E065C46EFF37.jpeg

14 minutes ago, fin-addict said:

States it hangs straight out and 1” below the transom by his stb tab

Just a suggestion, but sounds like it is too low in the water.  The transducer should be skimming the surface - not plowing water (creating turbulence and bubbles).  I would try moving it up so the lowest part of the transducer is 1/4" below the bottom of the hull.  It's a "change and see" process to get it just right.  Might take several adjustments.

16 minutes ago, geeviam said:

Just a suggestion, but sounds like it is too low in the water.  The transducer should be skimming the surface - not plowing water (creating turbulence and bubbles).  I would try moving it up so the lowest part of the transducer is 1/4" below the bottom of the hull.  It's a "change and see" process to get it just right.  Might take several adjustments.

Totally agree, too low, waiting for his pics. Stated he can slide it down more but not up. May have to remount. Thanks

I think there are several issues to resolve:

Looks like there is a pocket, or stepped transom and the transducer is mounted too close to it - lots of turbulence.

Mounting too close or on a lifting strake is also a "noisy" location for a transducer - lots of bubbles.

Tranducer is too low - probably plowing, and not skimming.

To be honest, he may want to simply raise the height of the transducer and move it 1/2" to starboard, and see how it goes.  Probably won't completely fix the issues reading bottom at speed though, because mounting options are limited.

One more thought:

I did not buy the product featured in these pictures, but used the idea and mounted two 3/4" thick blocks of King Starboard to the transom as a 1.5" spacer, to then mount the transducer to.  Then you can drill more holes and adjust transducer height on the plastic block without drilling more holes in your transom.  The 1.5" spacer block also moves the transducer back into cleaner (less turbulent) water coming off the hull bottom, and actually allows it to be mounted higher so it won't drag bottom if you run too shallow (yikes!).  Hope this helps.

Markup_Incorrect_X_ducer_Installation.jpg

New_Correct_markup_5212013.jpg

SS3D-Transducer_angle.jpg

• Like 2

The Bracket (the long part with six screws) is upside down. I know they probably did that on purpose to raise it but The curved part at the back of the bracket will cause turbulence.  Flip the bracket and then remount higher. I also increase my ping speed. I have the same transducer and can maintain depth readings to around 55 mph.  If drilling more holes is a road block mount a piece of starboard to attach the bracket to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jh141 said:

The Bracket (the long part with six screws) is upside down. I know they probably did that on purpose to raise it but The curved part at the back of the bracket will cause turbulence.  Flip the bracket and then remount higher. I also increase my ping speed. I have the same transducer and can maintain depth readings to around 55 mph.  If drilling more holes is a road block mount a piece of starboard to attach the bracket to.

Do you have a pic of yours. So the long curved sides should be facing up and not curved around the xducer.  You guys are the cats meow, 😱🤦‍♂️. Will tell the kid

22 hours ago, fin-addict said:

Do you have a pic of yours. So the long curved sides should be facing up and not curved around the xducer.  You guys are the cats meow, 😱🤦‍♂️. Will tell the kid

Here are a couple pics. My bracket started life just like his but has now been modified. When I would drop off plane, no mattrer how tight the bolts were, mine would move down, so we did a little tig welding.  I am not 100 percent happy with, a bit overkill, so we are doing another one and will install it when I install my new Active Imaging 3 in 1 that is said to have much better resolution.

In my experience with this long transducer on my 2200 TRS the mold line down the side should be even with a straight edge laid down the bottom of the boat. Mine has to much angle but still reads to the fifties mph.

Transducer.jpg

Transducer1.jpg

22 hours ago, fin-addict said:

Also reference Geeviam's post. It comes right form Lowrance or Simrad. 

• Like 1