Taking on Some Water?!

Ron in Atlanta

Normally the boat never takes in any water.  If we have a heavy rain, she does get water in the bilge while sitting in my backyard even though she is covered.  Yesterday, I drove to the lake with the plug out because we had had some rain.  Driving with the plug out allows water to drain whilst going up hills and just accelerating.  I put the plug in, backed down the ramp and on with the day.  Couple of hours latter, the bilge pump came on and pumped a few gallons out. shortly thereafter, I got her going just before on plane, you know, where the bow goes up in the air.  Turned on the pump and she pumped out an additional 2 or 3 gallons.  Got back to the ramp 1/2 hour later and pulled the plug while she was still on the ramp, bunch of water drained out.

So, my question is this WHERE THE HECK CAN WATER COME FROM?  The only holes in the hull that I can think of are the transom plug (it was tight, rubber gasket intact), the water intake for the bait wells.  I looked at them while in the water, they looked and felt dry.  The only other hole in the hull I can think of is the factory installed through-the-hull transducer.  Are those known to leak after a time?  Where is the transducer?  Once the boat was on the trailer, I looked for it underneath and did not see it.  It doesn't sit on one of the Ameritrail trailer bunks does it??!!  If it does, that means it has been rubbing on the bunk for years every launch and load, not to mention just going down the road!

Does anyone know where I can access the transducer from inside the boat?  Has leaking there been an issue with these boats?  I'm used to a totally dry boat, yesterday freaked me out just a little.  

Could just be some junk was around the plug and it did not seal well. Would think you should see an imprint on your bunk of where the transducer was if it is located there, just like the sea chest grate. Sure you have a thru hull and not a shoot thru the hull transducer? A shoot thru the hull transducer should be potted near the rear of the bilge.

15 hours ago, smooth move said:

a speedo line or a water pressure line

Thank you, Smooth, I clearly had not thought of those lines as a source for unwanted water.  Easy to check, I assume that the speed will read slower on the gauge if the line is leaking than the GPS speed reads.  I usually read speed off of the chart plotter.  I'll check it out today.

• Like 1

Ron, 

I experienced the same thing. My problem was a tear in the O-ring on the drain plug.. It didn’t look bad but was enough to kick on the bilge pump every  hour or so. I cleaned out the housing and replaced the O-ring with some silicone spray.. 

Problem solved..

Maybe take a closer look at the  O-ring and housing like NC suggested.. 
Also, try putting the plug in and running some water into the bilge.. See if it is the cheese grater or plug or nothing.  Then it may be a livewell hose or other fitting.. 

Marc

usually the cheese grater is under a bunk flat....you might need to put a large amount of water in the bilge to create enough pressure to see if it's coming out of the cheese grater or lift the stern up a bit to allow it to drain.

Also, around the live well pumps you could be having an issue....turn off all your intakes to anything running...run around the lake a bit and then look into the bilge to see if there is any water...then you'll know whether it's your cheese grater or an intake seal.

dc

one overlooked possibility is the drain hoses for the livewell. They have water in them while at rest.  to check  them you will need to plug the outside fittings in the pocket and fill from the livewell.  Put a good bit in the livewell and look for leaks at all connections and the hose itself. See if the level drops in the livewell. 

10 hours ago, Ron in Atlanta said:

Thank you, Smooth, I clearly had not thought of those lines as a source for unwanted water.  Easy to check, I assume that the speed will read slower on the gauge if the line is leaking than the GPS speed reads.  I usually read speed off of the chart plotter.  I'll check it out today.

I would put the drain plug in the boat, while the boat is on trailer.....pull the fuse on bilge pump and fill the hull with water ( not fill literally ) but put 20 gallons or so in it. Get a chair and sit behind it and watch for any water dripping out of the drain plug or cheese grater. Most likely the cheese grater is definitely sitting directly on the rear starboard bunk just behind the rear tire on your trailer. But, if it’s leaking...you’ll see it. Try to keep your driveway dry under the boat while filling up the hull, so you can see if any drips of water comes out of boat. If you are getting 2 or 3 gallons of water in the hull while running , you should certainly see some leakage after you fill the hull.

* one other place while running could be around your livewell hoses if you have open petcock valves , if they are open and you have some leaks around the hoses that feed water into your livewells, you’ll get some water.   But not 2 gallons or so. 

However, most PF’s have double clamps on these hoses.

good luck...JJ

13 hours ago, fin-addict said:

Transducer if oem is a shoot thru for a Lowrance unit I’ve been told. Unlikely to be a thru hull. Baitwell overflow at the top of well. Seal around it has been known to leak and water gets into bilge. Good luck. 👍😀 fin

Pathfinder hasn’t used shoot thru transducers in over ten years.  They will install a thru hull transducer at the factory.

And you are right, water can leak into the bilge if there is a poor seal between the livewell walls and the stern deck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bamaskeet said:

Pathfinder hasn’t used shoot thru transducers in over ten years.  They will install a thru hull transducer at the factory.

And you are right, water can leak into the bilge if there is a poor seal between the livewell walls and the stern deck.

Correct about the transducer. If not mistaken Ron’s is an older Pathy that’s why I mentioned the shoot thru. 😀👍

On 1/26/2021 at 8:21 AM, Moderator said:

My problem was a tear in the O-ring on the drain plug.

Thanks Marc, that may have solved the problem.  I have an extra drain plug (I found it in the bilge along with the plate it screws into, the first week I had the boat.  Someone at the factory must have misplaced it during the build and simply grabbed another one to install in the transom.  Boat must have been built on a Friday).  I made sure she was fully drained (plug out on a steep ramp) then replaced the plug with my spare and she stayed dry all day.

Thanks again, Marc.

The cracked line carrying water to the speedo was something I had never though about.  I can't find the line but the speed on the gauge read the same as the GPD all day, so I think that the hose there is OK.  Seems that if it was leaking water, the gauge would read lower than the GPS, yes?

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Ron in Atlanta said:

Thanks Marc, that may have solved the problem.  I have an extra drain plug (I found it in the bilge along with the plate it screws into, the first week I had the boat.  Someone at the factory must have misplaced it during the build and simply grabbed another one to install in the transom.  Boat must have been built on a Friday).  I made sure she was fully drained (plug out on a steep ramp) then replaced the plug with my spare and she stayed dry all day.

Thanks again, Marc.

The cracked line carrying water to the speedo was something I had never though about.  I can't find the line but the speed on the gauge read the same as the GPD all day, so I think that the hose there is OK.  Seems that if it was leaking water, the gauge would read lower than the GPS, yes?

I was sure you would not take my advice and fill the hull with water....I know you don’t want the bilge area to get wet because you may need to Zaino it again..... just kidding....glad you got her fixed.  JJ

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, fishmanjj said:

you don’t want the bilge area to get wet because you may need to Zaino it again

Nah, the bilge area is Zainoed so the water just runs off and beads up.

1031329154_MissLaurie-1.thumb.jpg.6c025bb0a8fde72ab5c846aa8160bbba.jpg212790787_MissLaurie-2.thumb.jpg.177905bf512765493fb86bf038bc2bdd.jpg

Seriously, with the boat in the water, I could see clearly all the holes in the hull which could have been leaking and with the boat in the water, there was pressure on the seals in the through-hulls.  All dry.  

I could not find the tube that runs water from the engine to the speedo gauge but if that had been leaking, I assume the speedo gauge would read lower than the GPS speed due to the lower pressure.  So, I think we got the problem solved.

Now, if I could only get a good Zaino shine on that old Harley...

Softail-7.thumb.jpg.eb7f192031d8bace812ed0644db80078.jpg

• Like 1

Ron, that bilge area is ridiculous clean....how the heck does it stay that clean ?  I noticed a 2015 date on the fuel / water serperator, you probably should change that. I change mine every six months just for prevention from fuel contamination.

Now, let’s talk the Harley. Very beautiful bike....I sold my 2000 year model Fat Boy after almost 10 years of riding, several trips to Sturgiss, Tail-of the Dragon, Daytona Bike Week, etc.....over 100,000 miles on her...but my old back couldn’t take it anymore.

take care my friend, JJ

• Like 1

Good eye, captain.  Actually I do change the fuel/water separator every 100 hours.  That picture was of my old boat, the 20 footer, taken back in 2015.  It was a better illustration of what a clean bilge looks like.  Here is the current boat, the 2200TRS...

566993786_BilgeRepair-4.thumb.jpg.504b57189b6824b5b8f8aaa9ebbaab49.jpg

I was a little embarrassed about this shot because of the corrosion on the thru-hull.  The bilge stays that clean because I am trying to wreck my back by reaching down there every few months to keep it clean.

My Harley, a 2010 Screaming Eagle, Softail Convertible, is similar to your old Fat Boy.  The Tail of the Dragon!  I stay away from there on this bike, you could get a Ducati enema riding that road on a Harley!  I like to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway, 45 MPH speed limit, time to look around and enjoy the views.

1814850317_FallRide2012-27.thumb.jpg.8acc736e154f4a733e278cf8a85c4823.jpg

364671214_FallRide2012-25.thumb.jpg.40dc655d372ff27c9fcabb3c3a96661d.jpg

2093163769_FallRide2012-20.thumb.jpg.60b017068bc2e315957a1d7e9bf0b873.jpg

Here is me on a past bike, some time ago.  Wish I still had that BSA Lightning, it vibrated so much that women riding on the back would almost - - - - - just from the ride😊

BSA.thumb.jpg.523e3829566ff569c186741f54d33df7.jpg

Stay safe my friend.

Softail-1.jpg

Softail-3-3.jpg

• Like 2

I have had 2 leaks.   Do you have trim tabs?  I had water coming through the screw holes.   

Also my washdown hose had a pinhole size puncture that put out a fine mist.   Hard to see.   Both made my bilge come on when I would not expect it.   

I hate when I hear my bilge pump pumping water.   Never a good sound.   

Ron,

LOL, you one sick puppy. Oh horror tiny green spots on the valve fitting, shoot me now. Know the back feeling when cleaning the bilge. Have run the Blue Ridge a few times when visiting my brother, photo below and my lady friends trike which is up for sale. The only thing wrong with the trike, upholstery doesn’t match the vettes top/interior. Body paint very close as is yours.😎👍

31DF4342-B696-4A9E-97ED-77A04F8F7888.jpeg

DB741DD1-AB79-42D3-A977-EB4E6F43790F.jpeg

96C555F2-A0FC-4581-AB60-97E8C1366897.jpeg

86DD6DD4-74F7-4672-80EB-F7AB85A2E445.jpeg

• Like 1

On 1/30/2021 at 10:01 AM, Ron in Atlanta said:

Good eye, captain.  Actually I do change the fuel/water separator every 100 hours.  That picture was of my old boat, the 20 footer, taken back in 2015.  It was a better illustration of what a clean bilge looks like.  Here is the current boat, the 2200TRS...

566993786_BilgeRepair-4.thumb.jpg.504b57189b6824b5b8f8aaa9ebbaab49.jpg

I was a little embarrassed about this shot because of the corrosion on the thru-hull.  The bilge stays that clean because I am trying to wreck my back by reaching down there every few months to keep it clean.

My Harley, a 2010 Screaming Eagle, Softail Convertible, is similar to your old Fat Boy.  The Tail of the Dragon!  I stay away from there on this bike, you could get a Ducati enema riding that road on a Harley!  I like to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway, 45 MPH speed limit, time to look around and enjoy the views.

1814850317_FallRide2012-27.thumb.jpg.8acc736e154f4a733e278cf8a85c4823.jpg

364671214_FallRide2012-25.thumb.jpg.40dc655d372ff27c9fcabb3c3a96661d.jpg

2093163769_FallRide2012-20.thumb.jpg.60b017068bc2e315957a1d7e9bf0b873.jpg

Here is me on a past bike, some time ago.  Wish I still had that BSA Lightning, it vibrated so much that women riding on the back would almost - - - - - just from the ride😊

BSA.thumb.jpg.523e3829566ff569c186741f54d33df7.jpg

Stay safe my friend.

Softail-1.jpg

Softail-3-3.jpg

That’s some serious chrome on your Harley....beautiful bike indeed.  The old BSA is a classic for sure, my brother had a Norton 750 that was very similar. My daughter lives in Asheville NC, so we’ve spent a lot of time up that way....the Dragon is quite an experience. It’s always nice to ride Blue Ridge parkway when the leaves are turning colors.  You’ve been lucky to keep that head full of hair too....mine started turning gray...and then it started turning loose 🤣. JJ

how about this shot from around 1975....

34B36349-CB27-4529-9D94-37EFDFDFD70C.jpeg

14 hours ago, fin-addict said:

LOL, you one sick puppy. Oh horror tiny green spots on the valve fitting, shoot me now. Know the back feeling when cleaning the bilge. Have run the Blue Ridge a few times when visiting my brother, photo below and my lady friends trike which is up for sale. The only thing wrong with the trike, upholstery doesn’t match the vettes top/interior. Body paint very close as is yours.😎👍

31DF4342-B696-4A9E-97ED-77A04F8F7888.jpeg

David,

Looks like we have very similar taste in means of transportation.  I love the Vette, nice mods on the tail lights, back up lights, etc.  Is that a 2000?  The feature that I like the best is the "Endless Summer" License Plate.  I saw that movie 17 times back in 1966.  It was only playing at the Kips Bay Theater in Manhattan.  I drove there 17 times to see it over and over.  "You really missed it, you should have been here yesterday".  Here is what I was surfing on in 1966...

P1010001.thumb.jpg.728a1c4250eaf7d788b3d7c59151bfe3.jpg

and yes, that was our lifeguard uniform back then.

Here's the Vette

2054325141_CorvetteRearRight.thumb.jpg.8dd04a9b90f7b89d81b1fe8969442d3a.jpg

I should have gotten the convertible as you did but I was thinking that practically speaking, you don't have the top down that much, too hot, too cold.  Dumb thinking, it's a 350 horse power two-seater, nothing about that concept is PRACTICAL.

Stay safe out there, brother.

• Like 1

Ron,

this is too much for me to take in. More alike than you know.

First time seeing Endless Summmer was at Kips Bay in nyc when it first came out. Have lost count how many times I’ve seen it.  Most recently about a month ago on Netflix. IN’s and OUT’s, lol. Surfed Far Rock, Giligo, Hamptons once with Murph @ Shinacock. The ride was a 61 Olds Starfire Conv. with board sticking out. Also had a VW van woody after that. Belonged to the Storm Surf Club in Rockaway. All the same years as you, 65-68. SURFS UP, Dave😀🤙kawabunga.

where did you live, me, Sunnyside Queens.

vette, 03 c5 Anniversary Edition pkg. have had only three years. Got after Stef passed. It was a wish of hers that I had one but I put family first. 

stay safe and be well brother. Save The Wave

fin

On 1/25/2021 at 2:01 PM, Ron in Atlanta said:

Normally the boat never takes in any water.  If we have a heavy rain, she does get water in the bilge while sitting in my backyard even though she is covered.  Yesterday, I drove to the lake with the plug out because we had had some rain.  Driving with the plug out allows water to drain whilst going up hills and just accelerating.  I put the plug in, backed down the ramp and on with the day.  Couple of hours latter, the bilge pump came on and pumped a few gallons out. shortly thereafter, I got her going just before on plane, you know, where the bow goes up in the air.  Turned on the pump and she pumped out an additional 2 or 3 gallons.  Got back to the ramp 1/2 hour later and pulled the plug while she was still on the ramp, bunch of water drained out.

So, my question is this WHERE THE HECK CAN WATER COME FROM?  The only holes in the hull that I can think of are the transom plug (it was tight, rubber gasket intact), the water intake for the bait wells.  I looked at them while in the water, they looked and felt dry.  The only other hole in the hull I can think of is the factory installed through-the-hull transducer.  Are those known to leak after a time?  Where is the transducer?  Once the boat was on the trailer, I looked for it underneath and did not see it.  It doesn't sit on one of the Ameritrail trailer bunks does it??!!  If it does, that means it has been rubbing on the bunk for years every launch and load, not to mention just going down the road!

Does anyone know where I can access the transducer from inside the boat?  Has leaking there been an issue with these boats?  I'm used to a totally dry boat, yesterday freaked me out just a little.  

Dont know if this has been mentioned but both my 2016 23HPS and then my 2018 Redfisher were leaking water in the bilge.  I took the drain plug and assembly out of both and re-sealed them and it cured the problem.  Poor installation from the factory was the culprit... never had another problem after I fixed it .  Now my new 2020 21 Yellowfin is getting water in the bilge.  Think it may be livewell issue but I havent ruled out the drain plug yet.     Always something with a boat.