2000 MA 18.6

Rustycoke

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2021 at 1:17 PM, Rustycoke said:

Going to look at a 18.6 MA with a 2013 Yamaha 150 under 200 hrs, thoughts on this year and what to look for. 

Rusty, was away for a week, so didnt see this.   If you are still looking qt this boat, let me know.  Mine is a 2000 and I love it.  There are a couple things to check, but sounds like a good boat!

2 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

Rusty, was away for a week, so didnt see this.   If you are still looking qt this boat, let me know.  Mine is a 2000 and I love it.  There are a couple things to check, but sounds like a good boat!

Thanks I was third in line but the second looker bought it. It was the first one I've seen around here to go look at. What's your actual bow and stern draft with gear, gas and two people fishing? I like poling the flats but thought about a 22 Pathy to do more but it seems like the 18 MA may be a good fit between the two. 

Hey Rusty - 

I haven't gotten out to do a proper measurement, but my guess is 10 inches is pretty close.   From what I hear, it's similar to a Pathy draft wise.  I pole my MA around in the marsh for redfish frequently, but wouldn't recommend the boat if you are planning on being on the pole for all day long.  It's a lot of fiberglass, and current and wind make it even bigger.   I find it very pole-able, but as a secondary function, not primary.    I don't think you are going to pole a Pathy at all.   

If I was considering the two boats, I'd be thinking "do I want to be "on" or "in" the boat as the first consideration - the MA is a boat you stand on, wide gunnels, flush decks, lower deadrise.   A Pathy is a boat you fish in - gunnels are narrow and designed to keep you - and the kids - from going overboard.    The MA ride is - by most accounts - better than the Pathy in a chop, but if you fish offshore, I'd rather be in a Pathy.   

The MA is the perfect "all around" flats boat - you can do just about anything in it - in decent conditions and for a little while.   It comes down to asking yourself what you do 80% of the time.   If the answer to that question is "a lot of different stuff" the MA may be a good choice.   My MA has ruined me, I doubt I'll ever find a boat that will compare to it.