'13 Redfisher 18 fuel vent problem

Alopez0105

Hello everyone.  Has anyone had fuel vent problems with their redfishers ? Started having problems  a couple of months ago and I just can't get it figured out.  I removed the mesh from the vent and cleaned up real good . I also removed the hose from the gas tank and was able to blow air with a compressor into it with no problem . Today I did a little experiment and as I was filling up I removed the entire cap that holds the mesh and still had issues. After 3-4 gallons the fuel would would come up . 

Thank you in advance . 

Does the boat have a charcoal filter on the vent?

If you have access to the vent hose look for kinks and loops that may be holding up air flow. Many vent hoses will have a loop higher than the vent itself and this will restrict air flow. Have you tried blowing air  from the vent into the tank with the fill cap removed.(don't do this with cap on as it may overpressurise the tank.)

While the vent may be a good starting place there are other issues that can cause the same issue. In particular an obstruction in the fill line, did something maybe fall in it without your knowledge? My problem on a non-MBG product was the fill line itself, the factory has everything pre-made ready for install so one size fits all. What happened in my case was that the fuel line went down into the bilge and then back up towards the tank. This in turn caused the fuel to be pushed into the tank rather than gravity fed. Could only get a gallon or so in before the big burp at the deck fitting unless I went reaaaaaaaal slow, made filling the boat a major issue, especially on the water. Just maybe your fuel line shifted, a strap corroded and the fuel line is no longer following a direct path to the tank. 

I had the problem on my 18HPX. Had a few places look at it and all thought it was the vent but the "fixes" didn't work.  Finally a tech removed the fill line. At first he thought it was a faulty check valve but then found a plastic cap from a fuel stabilizer bottle in the line.  Now it takes me 5 minutes to fill the tank rather than 1 hour!

Hey thanks everyone . I dont think have a charcoal filter . There is nothing on vent line but the hose. I did blow through the vent line with a compressor and air flows through with no problem . Are you guys suggesting I look into the actual fill line itself ? What would be the process on this . Remove fill hose from the tank , then remove the screws that are holding down the fuel tank gas cap and pull ? My boat only has 1 large hatch up front . Replacing the vent line seems like a mission since i dont have access . I am attaching photos for review. 

20210131_182735.jpg

20210131_182719.jpg

On 2/1/2021 at 10:18 PM, smilemaker said:

Does the boat have a charcoal filter on the vent?

If you have access to the vent hose look for kinks and loops that may be holding up air flow. Many vent hoses will have a loop higher than the vent itself and this will restrict air flow. Have you tried blowing air  from the vent into the tank with the fill cap removed.(don't do this with cap on as it may overpressurise the tank.)

On 2/2/2021 at 5:59 AM, MuddyBottomBluz said:

While the vent may be a good starting place there are other issues that can cause the same issue. In particular an obstruction in the fill line, did something maybe fall in it without your knowledge? My problem on a non-MBG product was the fill line itself, the factory has everything pre-made ready for install so one size fits all. What happened in my case was that the fuel line went down into the bilge and then back up towards the tank. This in turn caused the fuel to be pushed into the tank rather than gravity fed. Could only get a gallon or so in before the big burp at the deck fitting unless I went reaaaaaaaal slow, made filling the boat a major issue, especially on the water. Just maybe your fuel line shifted, a strap corroded and the fuel line is no longer following a direct path to the tank. 

I dont see a charcoal filter, and the hose goes straight into the tank, see photo. thanks!

perpective on up or down can be misleading in a picture. it appears that the vent hose goes downhill  from the tank and then probably goes up to the vent. this might be acting as a p trap like in plumbing. if do I  would take the vent line off of the tank and reroute it so there is always an up hill path for the vapor to  escape. .looking at the picture I  assume that the left side of the picture is the  top.

Another thought would be to put another hose on the vent and fill the tank without anything on the other end. just keep it higher than the fill.

I'm not  fond of the vent so close to the fill and that might be your problem. As gas comes in the tank the vent is so close it gets overwhelmed. 

I don't think the vent hose unites with the main fuel line . It just goes straight into the vent . But to be honest I can't be 100% since since don't have access due to the pvc in the way . The problem just started happening 2 months ago though . I've had the same hoses and the same boat for the last 3 years . 

20210131_192913.jpg

Just now, Alopez0105 said:

I don't think the vent hose unites with the main fuel line . It just goes straight into the vent . But to be honest I can't be 100% since since don't have access due to the pvc in the way . The problem just started happening 2 months ago though . I've had the same hoses and the same boat for the last 3 years . 

20210131_192913.jpg

Left is the top of the boat 

1 hour ago, Alopez0105 said:

I

I just have one hatch up front . Where would this valve be located?>

Its where your vent line attaches to the tank. The metal fitting that is threaded in the tank has it in it. Not sure where your access is for the tank on that model. Some others seem to have more experience with the charcoal filter, hopefully that is your issue as its easier to get to. 

• 3 weeks later...