Inshore spinning rod reccomadations

THE OUTLAW

Once again , another topic that gets alot of traffic .

I just bought four Quantum Smoke 3 reels , 2 1500’s and 2 2500’s

I bought four Star Rod Stellar Lite poles, ( because they matched !)

Mistake !!!!

I am hard on my equipment and not bragging but do tend to put meat , on the deck , and these Star Rods are not holding up at all .

Not even a little bit .

The price point got me as well .

Now , I realize that I am going to have to step up and get a better quality rod , that can withstand constant rod bending action .

Reaching out to my forum peeps .

Have looked at

St Croix Premium

MoJo

Gloomis E6x

so far 

HELP !!!!!

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️

I personally fish with St. Croix Tidemasters, which are great; however, they tend to be on the heaver side of medium.  The medium feels like a medium heavy in other rods.  They are built like a tank and have held up great from trout to bull reds in Venice.  That being said I own one E6x medium and it is my favorite by far.  Lightweight and easy on trout but will put 40 inch reds in the boat no problem.  I can also comfortably throw it all day long.  When its time to replace my tidemasters more E6xs are going in the boat.   

I have broke four rods .

Never have had a broken rod , in my life , until now .

I went ultra light weight , more for the challenge , but , may have went to light .

I have the extended warrantee for these poles , and will be getting new ones , then pitting four brand new rods up for adoption ASAP

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️

1 minute ago, GaFullCircle said:

I personally fish with St. Croix Tidemasters, which are great; however, they tend to be on the heaver side of medium.  The medium feels like a medium heavy in other rods.  They are built like a tank and have held up great from trout to bull reds in Venice.  That being said I own one E6x medium and it is my favorite by far.  Lightweight and easy on trout but will put 40 inch reds in the boat no problem.  I can also comfortably throw it all day long.  When its time to replace my tidemasters more E6xs are going in the boat.   

Thanks

my buddy had the E6X and they seem stout , for their size

Outlaw, I’m surprised to hear your Star Rods aren’t holding up. I use to fish exclusively offshore and used nothing but a matched set of 6 Star Rods . Never had issues until I left them hanging off my ceiling horizontally in a rack with lead still hanging. Unfortunately after taking them down they were left with a noticeable curve due to the sinkers and they became brittle as hell. 
   After buying the Hewes, went out and bought another set of Stars and their holding up well. Did you get a bad batch? I personally would contact Star and see if they can give you a answer plus replacements......David

Fenwick & Falcon.  Have to get them online though.  These have always held up well for me. 

I also picked up a couple of rods from Lamiglas directly during last years Black Friday sales. Pricing was great but shipping took 3 weeks from Washington...🙄

I know the east coast has a lot more tackle shops than this side for sure.

Ace might have what your looking for.

Good Luck

• Like 1

6 hours ago, THE OUTLAW said:

Once again , another topic that gets alot of traffic .

I just bought four Quantum Smoke 3 reels , 2 1500’s and 2 2500’s

I bought four Star Rod Stellar Lite poles, ( because they matched !)

Mistake !!!!

I am hard on my equipment and not bragging but do tend to put meat , on the deck , and these Star Rods are not holding up at all .

Not even a little bit .

The price point got me as well .

Now , I realize that I am going to have to step up and get a better quality rod , that can withstand constant rod bending action .

Reaching out to my forum peeps .

Have looked at

St Croix Premium

MoJo

Gloomis E6x

so far 

HELP !!!!!

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️

They may not meet your expectations for some things but I use Falcons Xg Coastal. I pretty much fish ENP almost exclusively and they have been very good. I have 7' , 7'6"  and 8'  foot. Been my go to rods for more than five years.

There not the lightest, most sensitive, prettiest or coolest but they are durable and have caught plenty of Snook, Reds and Permit. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GaFullCircle said:

I personally fish with St. Croix Tidemasters, which are great; however, they tend to be on the heaver side of medium

I used the tidemasters for many years.....good rods and a good price point.

I went with the St. Croix Avid's  - $$$$ but, I got a nice bonus and said go for it.  I have had them about 5 years (I bought them the year they came out) and not a break.

They are very very light in the hand but have good backbone.....

You can get 4 tidemasters for the price of two Avids.....overall, the Avid's are good value and will hold up.

As mentioned above, nothing like an ugly stick (I do have one i give to my "guests" when on the boat).  I dont let anyone without experiece use my Avid's.

dc

I have had lots of problems with Star rods over the years and so have a lot of my fishing buddies. I am done with them. I took a broken Star rod in to my local tackle shop in November and still waiting a replacement. They said they are behind 150+ broken Star rods and no longer trading out until Star makes them whole. 

The GLoomis E6X rods are nice--you should be able to get them for around $180.  If you are focused on value, I suggest looking at the Shimano Terramar SE Spinning Rod.  You can pick that up for about $120.  Another good value choice is the Falcon Coastal Clearwater, also around $120-$130.  If price is not a consideration, as jaco2 suggested, the GLoomis ProGreen is my favorite rod.  This is a great choice for inshore/flats--throwing small jigs, soft plastics, other artificial and top water plugs.  I think the rod has a good balance of power and light weight, sensitivity.  With the fast action rods, you get better line and lure control and are able to make quick and accurate "snap" casts.  They are not cheap though--around $280.  If you just hit it big at the 'Rock, look at the Loomis IMX Pro spinning rods--around $350--or the St. Croix Legend Xtreme spinning rods--about $670!!