Fishing north Georgia

flatsdoctor

20 hours ago, flatsdoctor said:

We built a Cabin in Blue Ridge Ga, never fished the lake or the area

any recommendations for local guides in search for strippers or walleyes?

I know lake blue ridge may not be the best lake choice 

832383E1-F3CB-4137-8F33-925730DE4833.jpeg

6D111674-193C-409C-BC00-F3EE56F06F18.jpeg

21E8516D-463A-48A1-B3ED-78C777733CBA.jpeg

I see the camper always near by :)

If I remember, from when I lived in ATL,  there are some really good trout streams up near Murphy NC which is close or over in Helen.

Many of the streams are within a short walk from the roads.....I fished the Hiwawasee many years ago and it was good fun.....

I'm sure you'll find some local guides who can show you about......and they won't cost FLA $$$$....I was up in Franklin with at my daughters house and we stopped at a fly shop in the Highlands...full day guide trip was $300......granted, no boat, etc....but, next time I go, I'll try and hook up a guide.

dc

There is good fishing in the lake and the Toccoa River below the dam for several miles is some fantastic trout fishing.  Blue Ridge is within some of the best trout waters in the SE- up around Murphy and west North Carolina is a great mix of trophy and delayed release streams, and the Holsten River in Tennessee is a very reasonable drive.  I live in Sandy Springs (just above Atlanta) and I'm mainly a salt guy, but a lot of the fishing in N GA is good "methadone" til you can get back to marine environs.

Georgia Outdoor News is a good forum up here and the Fly Fishing and Fresh Water Fishing sections will give you recommendations on the lake and guides.

https://forum.gon.com/forums/fly-fishing.99/

• Like 2

Family has a lake house on Blue Ridge. I fished last summer with Reese from Appalachian Anglers, https://appalachiananglers.com/. Did a float trip on the Toccoa. Reese is young, but a fantastic fly fisherman, my fiancée had never touched a fly rod before and he put her on a trophy brown trout, plus we had great action on rainbows and smaller browns all day long. Give them a call, you won't be disappointed.

• Like 2

We have a cabin in Cherry Log. Been fishing with Captain Eric Crowley with Lake and Stream Guide Service. We have mainly fished Carter’s Lake in Ellijay. But, I know he also fishes Blue Ridge for Stripers, Walleye, etc. 

We take our Pathy up there almost every summer to use on Lake Blue Ridge. We mainly cruise, swim, tube and hit the rope swings. But have had some luck fishing. 

I replied with ideas on Trout fishing, but I don't know if you fly fish or not.  If you don't, NGA is a great place to get started in a really pacific, relaxing version of the sport.  If you start in the rivers up here and get "hooked" you will love fly fishing the salt for everything from Trout to Tarpon.  If you already do fly fish, you will love it up here.

17 hours ago, flatsdoctor said:

DINO , 

I know only people > 60 will remember who Lee Majors is, but I relate more to him (Six Million Dollar Man)

I'm 50 and know lots about old Lee.  Lee was a very talented Football player in high school in Middlesboro, KY.  My Dad played in a h.s. all star football game with Lee.  Dad ended up at UK and Lee at EKU.  Lee was known to frequent the local watering holes in Lexington with some well know Hollywood stars.    

As for fishing the NGA area, might take a short trip over to the Highlands/Cashiers area.  There is a fantastic Fly Shop in Cashiers (Brookings Anglers?)  The owner is a guide and there are some other guides around the area.  Lots of Fly Fishermen seem to visit Highlands area.  Cool small town.