T top on a Flats boat

DavidG

They say there’s no such thing as a stupid question but they’ve never met me! I’m considering having a T Top put on my 2018 Hewes 18 ft Redfisher. The sun is brutal during the summer! Has anyone put one on theirs and did it interfere with stability/ handling? This isn’t for dual control,just your basic T top. Any advice is appreciated!.....David

Your boat...Your money...But, I would not ever do it.  Typically, flats boats, obviously, sit lower in the water, so your t-top will be lower...Unless you have one made super tall, then it will look funny.  Most folks get flats boats to fish shallow, cast a lot, fly fish...Seems a top would really get in the way....Get you a bimini.  Can raise it when hot, and lower it later...seems to be a better balance.  Just a thought...

The closest boat to a flats boat I have seen with a nice t top is a 186 pioneer Cape Island. I grabbed a pic of the inter web. I would say a small t top or one of the umbrellas that you can run at speed would be better than a Bimini top.  I think a little shade all the time is better than a Bimini that has to go up and down. The poles and straps would be more trouble than a smallish t top. 

6F0366FA-431D-4FB4-B46E-3A8A42566C8B.jpeg

• Like 1

I live and fish in NE Florida but plan on some Keys fishing where I know the sandbars are numerous. North Fla has few but not like the Gulf or down in the keys. I usually fish the inlets and during the summer will troll along the beach 3-4 miles out on the calmer days. Looking for the shade whenever I can find it. I know my limitations and my boats limitations but this being my first flats boat want to make sure a simple T Top will not disrupt the stability. I’ve had my share of deep Vs and my wife hates the roll of them. Some might say get a bay boat or a offshore boat but I’ll be buried in this boat since I’ll be paying on it that long lol

1 hour ago, DavidG said:

I live and fish in NE Florida but plan on some Keys fishing where I know the sandbars are numerous. North Fla has few but not like the Gulf or down in the keys. I usually fish the inlets and during the summer will troll along the beach 3-4 miles out on the calmer days. Looking for the shade whenever I can find it. I know my limitations and my boats limitations but this being my first flats boat want to make sure a simple T Top will not disrupt the stability. I’ve had my share of deep Vs and my wife hates the roll of them. Some might say get a bay boat or a offshore boat but I’ll be buried in this boat since I’ll be paying on it that long lol

I put on a Bimini top on mine...Ralph (Outlaw) built some stainless holders for it so it sits off the deck on the stern and out of the way.  The stainless holders go into my poliing platform. 

The Bimini is oversized and covers the entire stern to the console and then I can move it forward and it will cover then entire stern and the front deck to the seat.

I'll find some pics and post....but, NO WAY A T-TOP !!! You'll never sell the boat, it will cost you $$$.

My bimini cost me $1200 (all stainless) it's 8feet by 10 feet and 6 feet off the deck.....worth every penny in the summer...you have the entire front deck open and it covers the rear 2/3 for shade.

You can have them sewn for rods to come through if needed.

picture of bimini

DC

14 hours ago, SouthernWake said:

Why an 18ft flats boat for inlet and nearshore fishing?

Why not? There sure are a lot of them sold. Not everyone has or wants a little technical skiff. Some people may have larger inlets to cross. Some people may just want the room to take there family. And friends to the sandbar. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, HoneyB said:

Why not? There sure are a lot of them sold. Not everyone has or wants a little technical skiff. Some people may have larger inlets to cross. Some people may just want the room to take there family. And friends to the sandbar. 

I don't mean to step on any toes. I was just thinking if those were the primary fishing areas and more comfort/shade was desired a larger boat may be an even better fit.

5 minutes ago, SouthernWake said:

I don't mean to step on any toes. I was just thinking if those were the primary fishing areas and more comfort/shade was desired a larger boat may be an even better fit.

SouthernWake, not stepping on toes lol, No a larger boat was not a option. HOAs are a pain here! Storage fees run 200 a month for minimal or no security at all and 3rd,I needed a boat I could load and unload myself. I enjoy all kinds of fishing but I also know limitations. Being disabled now, my days of fighting a large Wahoo or Large grouper are long gone and no I won’t consider electric reels. I just wanted other members thoughts on T Tops. I think I’ve heard most of them lol...David

4 minutes ago, DavidG said:

SouthernWake, not stepping on toes lol, No a larger boat was not a option. HOAs are a pain here! Storage fees run 200 a month for minimal or no security at all and 3rd,I needed a boat I could load and unload myself. I enjoy all kinds of fishing but I also know limitations. Being disabled now, my days of fighting a large Wahoo or Large grouper are long gone and no I won’t consider electric reels. I just wanted other members thoughts on T Tops. I think I’ve heard most of them lol...David

Makes sense! Darn HOAs!