Safety

DavidG

I have my FL numbers on everything that floats as well.

I see it as a crumb trail for SAR.  Finding anything by the SAR team can help narrow the search if they can ID where it came from.

I don't go on a boat unless it has an epirb or PLB. I actually have 2 epirbs on my offshore boat and enough flares and smoke to burn all night.

Millions of dollars and many lives would be saved in SAR if registered epirbs were mandatory.

• Like 1

Just replaced my flares with an ACR ResQFlare and Distress Flag. According to ACR, it is "certified to meet USCG requirements as a reliable and highly efficient alternative to onboard pyrotechnic flares. The ResQFlare and Flag are individually classified as approved Visual Distress Signals for night and day, respectively, ensuring recreational boaters in US waters are fully equipped to attract the attention of rescue personnel in an emergency."  As DavidG and Capt. Tony suggest, don't leave home without your safety gear!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Capt. Troy said:

I have my FL numbers on everything that floats as well.

I see it as a crumb trail for SAR.  Finding anything by the SAR team can help narrow the search if they can ID where it came from.

I don't go on a boat unless it has an epirb or PLB. I actually have 2 epirbs on my offshore boat and enough flares and smoke to burn all night.

Millions of dollars and many lives would be saved in SAR if registered epirbs were mandatory.

9 minutes ago, Big Dave said:

Just replaced my flares with an ACR ResQFlare and Distress Flag. According to ACR, it is "certified to meet USCG requirements as a reliable and highly efficient alternative to onboard pyrotechnic flares. The ResQFlare and Flag are individually classified as approved Visual Distress Signals for night and day, respectively, ensuring recreational boaters in US waters are fully equipped to attract the attention of rescue personnel in an emergency."  As DavidG and Capt. Tony suggest, don't leave home without your safety gear!

I Thank both of you for your responses as both of you are well respected on this forum! Just as Outlaw is well respected for his metal work. We all check our clamps,pumps,wiring and everything else on the boat except our safety gear as we take it for granted. One of the firefighters belonged to us and the other one was his best friend from another state and department. The SAR was one of the longest in history covering from West Palm all the way up north as the tackle bag was found in the Gulf Stream 60 miles out. Weather showed a squall had hit right about the time the last ping was heard approximately 12 miles out. Both men were very experienced offshore fishermen. EPRB should be mandatory for offshore boats enforced by the Coast Guard. In my prior life I was a Lt/FF/Paramedic for my department and you might be surprised when I tell you the vast majority of Marine calls were mostly inshore. Boats hitting docks at night with 6-8 intoxicated passengers. A hysterical wife whose husband was in cardiac arrest and was so far back in Nassau sounds that she had no idea where they were or didn’t have a clue how to operate a boat. I could go on and on. But please all, check all your safety gear, mark anything that floats with your hull # as to create a debris field if the worst happens. As well, train the person or people you take fishing on how to operate your vessel if you become incapacitated. This might just save your life! Sorry to rant all, but I’ve seen to many families crying at the ramp...David

• Like 3