Time to repower - Yamaha vs Suzuki F115 - thoughts/opinions

scseadog

3 hours ago, scseadog said:

Any thoughts/opinions??

If you're sure you want 115 hp, I would go with the Yamaha 115 SHO.  I had one on my Hewes Redfisher and it was awesome - powerful, smooth, quiet, and never burned a drop of oil!  If you want a little more power, go with the Suzuki DF140A - same weight as the Suzuki DF115A.  Suzuki is making some great motors too!  Every owner I ask, about their Suzuki, swears it's the best motor they ever owned.

• Like 2

In December I signed a contract for a Suzuki to replace my Yamaha.  The price difference I saw was about the same with keeping the same controls for the Yamaha but new gauges.  The new gauges are better and will start at zero where the old will not reset.  The Suzuki dealer I used would take my motor on trade, none of the Yamaha dealer would take a 2 stroke on trade.  There were other minor things that the Suzuki dealer would do that also helped, but I think that is dealer specific.  

With the current supplier issues both told me it would be 2 - 4 months to get the motor as boat builders are a priority over re-power.  I am still waiting for Suzuki to give them a date when the motor will show up.  The good news is you cannot make a bad decision between the two.

Also where are you looking? I too, would do the 140 as they weigh the same. Dont overthink the weight difference in the 2vs4 stroke. The offcentered block really changes the weight displacement of the engine. I gained draft switching. I found Suzuki to be less money(in the thousands) drigged, rigged, stainless prop, upgraded binnacle and gauges than the Yamaha before rigging or anything. They also redid my hydraulic lines, new helm, put a custom acrylic dash on and was still less than just a Yamaha engine. Also the Zuke comes with a 6year warranty. The Yamaha comes with a 3 and you can purchase additional. Suzuki has many reps around now as they are growing in leaps and bounds. My dealer also derigged mine, let me take the boat home to do some work on the splashwell cap and other things before coming to rig the new engine. Top notch service from them. Thoroughly impressed with my Zuke 140. I have a review/numbers in the Hewes section. We have similar hulls so I would expect similar numbers, my boat had a 150 2 stroke previously. Feel free to PM or call for any questions on it. Would go the same route if I had it to do over again. I am a fan of Yamaha as well, but they are priced on the higher end.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Shallowminded6 said:

Also where are you looking? I too, would do the 140 as they weigh the same. Dont overthink the weight difference in the 2vs4 stroke. The offcentered block really changes the weight displacement of the engine. I gained draft switching. I found Suzuki to be less money(in the thousands) drigged, rigged, stainless prop, upgraded binnacle and gauges than the Yamaha before rigging or anything. They also redid my hydraulic lines, new helm, put a custom acrylic dash on and was still less than just a Yamaha engine. Also the Zuke comes with a 6year warranty. The Yamaha comes with a 3 and you can purchase additional. Suzuki has many reps around now as they are growing in leaps and bounds. My dealer also derigged mine, let me take the boat home to do some work on the splashwell cap and other things before coming to rig the new engine. Top notch service from them. Thoroughly impressed with my Zuke 140. I have a review/numbers in the Hewes section. We have similar hulls so I would expect similar numbers, my boat had a 150 2 stroke previously. Feel free to PM or call for any questions on it. Would go the same route if I had it to do over again. I am a fan of Yamaha as well, but they are priced on the higher end.

Way to go imho. 😀👍🙏fin

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scseadog said:

One more question for those that have the 140, which prop are you running?

I got the best prop advice from Geeviam. The dude is a prop wizzard.  I currently have the 14x20P at his reccomendation. I havent used the trim tabs in so long they might be corroded over. Up on plane quick with heavy load, and good top end. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shallowminded6 said:

I got the best prop advice from Geeviam. The dude is a prop wizzard.  I currently have the 14x20P at his reccomendation. I havent used the trim tabs in so long they might be corroded over. Up on plane quick with heavy load, and good top end. 

The stock Suzuki prop is a good general use prop. It does not have much bow lifting power or cup though.

6 minutes ago, geeviam said:

Cleve, which prop have you found that works best with the Zuke 140 on your boat?

Thanks

The boat seems to run best with a bow lifting prop. I also run a jack plate and need a fairly heavily cupped prop. On the old engine I ran with a quicksilver Torrent (mercury Tempest) which did very well.

I have not really dove down the propping rabbit hole with the new setup just yet. I am having no issue hitting the rev limiter with a stock stainless 21P right now with throttle left. I also get a lot of cavitation when running creeks on plane which is very frustrating.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SouthernWake said:

The boat seems to run best with a bow lifting prop. I also run a jack plate and need a fairly heavily cupped prop. On the old engine I ran with a quicksilver Torrent (mercury Tempest) which did very well.

I have not really dove down the propping rabbit hole with the new setup just yet. I am having no issue hitting the rev limiter with a stock stainless 21P right now with throttle left. I also get a lot of cavitation when running creeks on plane which is very frustrating.

Was wondering about that. Mine runs pretty flat, ive never did a prop search for any of my boats. Be interested to find out what other people find best for theirs. Does it help top end or just the lift?