Need Tools for Shade Tree Mechanics Shop

rubble

I’ve cleared out a bay at my warehouse so use for tinkering with our equipment (trailers, trucks, boat, etc). Going to stock it with tools that don’t leave the shop.  Wanted to see if any of you guys have had luck with Harbor Freight tools and chests?  They seem to have some of the best prices but not sure if they have quality products?  We have a Lowes and I have mostly Kobalt tools in the Pathy.  Also have a local auto parts place but their tools are all off brand and expensive.  Thoughts?

A few years ago a friend at work was telling the story of how he needed a 1/2 drill to drill a hole in some house remodel. He said “I went to Harbor  Freight”. At that point we all jumped in saying you did I what??? Waste of money bla bla bla. He stops us and said you guys do not understand, I didn’t need a drill, I just need a hole! 
 That was the best Harbor Freight story I have heard to date. Thought I would share !

• Like 3

Ditto what Smilemaker said previously.  I bought the PITTSBURGH 2 Ton Capacity Foldable Shop Crane, for lifting my Yamaha outboard off the transom a few times while adjusting motor height, adding wedges, adding a jack plate, etc.  Also use it to assist with lifting the skiff off the trailer with a bar and sling, when needed.  It more than paid for itself vs the cost to rent one.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-capacity-foldable-shop-crane-69514.html

• Like 1

On 2/9/2021 at 10:50 PM, smooth move said:

ditto

Yep, for non pro use and limited stuff.....

I buy Dewalt hand tools and drill bits, Milwaukee drill bits and tools I buy Roybi for lawn stuff (buy 3 yr warranty)

On 2/10/2021 at 9:09 AM, SCFD rtrd. said:

If you are going to buy battery powered tools, I would suggest you buy all the same brand. Then, you can interchange battery's and most chargers.  

100% agree....you pay more for Dewalt, but, it works....the Ryobi brand at HD is OK for average use.

On 2/10/2021 at 3:53 PM, HoneyB said:

A few years ago a friend at work was telling the story of how he needed a 1/2 drill to drill a hole in some house remodel. He said “I went to Harbor  Freight”. At that point we all jumped in saying you did I what??? Waste of money bla bla bla. He stops us and said you guys do not understand, I didn’t need a drill, I just need a hole! 
 That was the best Harbor Freight story I have heard to date. Thought I would share !

Definately a chuckle on that one :) 

Not looking for industrial tools for out in the field.  All of our power/cordless tools are Bosch or other upper tier brand.  We really put our power/cordless tools to the test.  

I’m just looking for tools to use around the shop and something to keep them in.  It looks like the US General chests are about the same price as the Craftsmen at Lowes.  The Kobalt tool sets also look to be right in line with the Pittsburg line from Harbor.  I always thought that Harbor would be less expensive.  I guess they may be on the loss leader items.