2400TRS with a Yamaha 300 or 250 SHO

swaddict

I you read the post "23 HPS prop details" above, apparently the speed is about the same if propped correctly. I would suppose you could negotiate shallow water better, using the jack plate with the 250 SHO because it's a shorter motor.

I wonder if there is a big difference running in the ocean with the longer shaft of the 300??

Don't know how accurate this is, but I was told they are about the same out of the hole. Maybe the 250 has a little better hole shot, but the 300 would have a little more top end speed.

I have the 250 SHO on my 2400. I took it out in the gulf several times last summer. Keeping it jacked all the way down, I didn't have any problems. I think they mount the 250 a little lower on the transom to make up for the shorter shaft.

Overall, I have been pretty satisfied with the 250 on my 2400. It's about 3-4 grand cheaper too. Doesn't have the command link gauges, but that wasn't a biggie for me

Don't know how accurate this is, but I was told they are about the same out of the hole. Maybe the 250 has a little better hole shot, but the 300 would have a little more top end speed.

I have the 250 SHO on my 2400. I took it out in the gulf several times last summer. Keeping it jacked all the way down, I didn't have any problems. I think they mount the 250 a little lower on the transom to make up for the shorter shaft.

Overall, I have been pretty satisfied with the 250 on my 2400. It's about 3-4 grand cheaper too. Doesn't have the command link gauges, but that wasn't a biggie for me

What kind of numbers are you getting?

I normally always keep my boat full of gas (80gallons). And I'm running the HS4 15x21. 5 batteries, no t top. I have seen 54-55 mph a few times trimmed out on a lighter load, but normally around 51- 52ish. I don't get much over 5500rpm. I could probably play with props, but I'm satisfied with the top end. The hole shot is pretty good now with the prop I have.

What would it take to gain more mph? up the pitch to 16x22? or even to 23? My goal is to get to 63mph+ with half tank fuel.

You would be able to reach 63+ with a 22 or 23 pitch prop IF,and that is a big if, you could spin it to the upper RPM range without a ton of slip. If you are now running a HS4 21 and only able to turn 5500RPM I am not sure you could spin a bigger prop and stay in your RPM range. From what I have seen guys with 300hp are just touching 60mph on a good day.

51-52ish seems to be about what most are getting with the 2400TRS and the 250SHO. Putting a bigger pitch prop on it won't help, in fact I get just as good speed by dropping down to an 18" prop, but the rpms are better at 5500-5800 at top speed. A bigger prop would just lug the motor.

I chose the 250SHO over the 300 for the potential for a little better shallow water performance which is fairly important in Texas. The 250SHO has the nose cone water pick-up, in addition to the shorter shaft length.

The speed is plenty for me, but for you guys wanting to run 60+, you probably should get the 23HPS anyway.

51-52ish seems to be about what most are getting with the 2400TRS and the 250SHO. Putting a bigger pitch prop on it won't help, in fact I get just as good speed by dropping down to an 18" prop, but the rpms are better at 5500-5800 at top speed. A bigger prop would just lug the motor.

I chose the 250SHO over the 300 for the potential for a little better shallow water performance which is fairly important in Texas. The 250SHO has the nose cone water pick-up, in addition to the shorter shaft length.

The speed is plenty for me, but for you guys wanting to run 60+, you probably should get the 23HPS anyway.

Is that with a T-Top?

I had the 2300 HPS with a 300 for a couple years and just got a new 2016 with a 250 SHO. I had experience on both and with the new boat I thought I would try the 250 SHO as it does have a little more punch out of the hole. For me, jumping up shallow is very common.

Soooo... all of that being said, I now have about 25 hours on the new boat/motor. I wish I had the 300 again. On my hull the 250 SHO is about 3-4 mph slower, but the big difference I have seen so far is on MPG's. I could cruise around 40 mph with the 300 and still manage mpg's around 3.5-4 which was awesome. With the 250 SHO I'm staying right around 3.

Also, as AFE says above... the 300 has "Electronic shifting" and a different binnacle. It's a very minor thing, but the shifter on the 300 just looks so much better. It's shorter and chrome, where the 250 SHO has a taller black plastic handle. It's a simple thing that they could change to make the 250 SHO more appealing. But the electronic shifting versus cable shifting is night & day. If you've never had the electronic shifting it's no big deal, but once you have it it's hard to go back to the old cable.

I ran the 300 for a couple years, so i'm sure this is all because I was used to that boat/motor. Now i'm adjusting for the 250 SHO and so far the benefits just aren't there. Of course the $4,000 difference would be another $70 per month on my payment. So maybe it was worth it? :P

Good luck,

Josh B.

I have run the 250 SHO on my b*** boat for two years and love it. So when I went looking for a bay boat I was originally looking for a 22 tournament or 23 HPS because I wanted the 250 SHO. I was also thinking the shallow water performance would be better with the SHO. Then I rode in a 24 with the 300 in the shallows and in the rough. That being said I just purchased a 24 TRS with the 300. The transom on the 24 is designed for a 25in shaft motor so when the SHO is used it is mounted lower on the transom. I think the shallow performance would be the same. I have only put 2hrs on this combo so far but I am very impressed.

Is that with a T-Top?

Yes. My boat has the factory hard T-Top.

You are the only one who can answer your question since it all depends on what is important to you.

If top end speed is important, get a 3 blade prop on a 300.

If hole shot and shallow fishiing is important, get a 4 blade with a 4 blade 250 SHO.

I have a 4 blade on my 250 SHO and it works great in Pine Island Sound. But I'm a 68 year old old fart who got rid of my 60+mph Lake & Bay Boca Grande for my 2400TRS... I LOVE my 2400TRS!!!

Archived