Trolling Motor Purchase Decision

Mike45q

I know both MotorGuide and MinnKota are both good trolling motors but having a local repair shop would be a part of my decision. I have not checked in a few years but are there shops for each in Fort Myers?

I also think I would like to go to iPilot or a Xi5 but it goes against my basic KISS principal. My 13 year old Riptide 70 has finally bite the dust.

my opinion MG>MK, none are perfect but so far the xi5 has been rock solid for me and many others

as to GPS or manual decide first if you really need it for your type of fishing ie if all you do is flat fish a manual may be the better option especially if you have a power pole. Another area the manual is a little easier to use is fishing docks or other structure where you are constantly manuvering

I'm very, very pleased so far with my new MG Xi5. What I really love is the anchor feature. Mine seems to hold me almost motionless even in some pretty good wind and chop. It's an electronic Power Pole. In the manual vs. auto debate, the anchor feature is the clear decider for me.

I stick with minn kota and like it. I really like the screen on the remote, it helps when im on the platform and cant see if the motor is running.

A friend had the xi5 and had some issues, bought another one and has only used it once since then that i know of.

I wouldnt have an issue owning either, but i prefer the minn kota. I really like the minn kota foot pedal attachment for b*** fishing as well

I hear you on the KISS concept, but without a question, the Ipilot/XI-5 is an upgrade you can't afford to fish without. I can't tell you how many fish I lost because they (knowingly) bite at the exact moment you take your hand off the reel to turn the trolling motor. Since I got the I-Pilot, that issue has become a non-issue. If I were faced with having to downgrade my boat or downgrade my trolling motor to a non- I-Pilot, I'd keep the trolling motor. And I LOVE my boat.

As for MK vs. MG, I have to say that the Ipilot does tend to wander a lot. Sometimes the anchor feature is rock solid, sometimes it is absolutely USELESS and I do better using the autopilot and a very low power level (especially in a current). I've heard that the XI5 is significantly better, but I'm a MK guy and just couldn't swap horses. Sometimes I wish I had.

As others have said both are good products I think. Really depends on how you fish. I have fished both and the Rhodan. The Rhodan has the best anchor lock and MG does seem to have a superior anchor hold to the MK. Rhodan supplies the tech to MG is why they get the nod there I would suppose. I don't use the spot lock much if at all as I run twin PPs so that is not my convincing feature but I could not function as well without the remote feature and the screen is crazy handy for cruise control and auto pilot feature checks.

I would never run a tiller again. All over the boat and up on platform so the remote steer is a must.

Currently running the Ulterra for even more convenience. Not so much the deploy/stow but the remote trim is yet another time, knee and back saver and allows me to troll the flood from either platform effortlessly. It is awesome thus far but I did keep my ipilot as a spare just in case lol.

I got the MK I Pilot. I had no other experience with TM so cant comment on the MG. The spot lock is awesome and would highly suggest it. I have found it works best in deep water as the motor can be deployed further in the water. Spot lock struggles in shallow water, but does work, it just wonders a bit. The remote vs the handle battle goes to the remote. You don't have to be by the motor to control it which is awesome. You can be on the poling platform and steer. Once you learn the remote you can use it without looking at it and be just as quick as a hand control unit.

Just got thru installing the 36v 105 60" Motorguide Xi5 and just found out rebate up to $100 back. Best price online was by Universal Mania with no tax and free shipping. Also guy on Craigslist Sarasota with some new Xi5 at a great price.

Spoke with the local Minn Kota service repair center who said earlier Ipilot spot locks were not as good (no reverse with these remote TM so to keep fixed position the TM had to wander off, turn around or motor forward back to original fixed spot, slow to do so). Apparently hopefully better on newer models.

Seems better anchor spot lock reviews by xi5 guys. So far working well here too although when anchor function pressed initially it seems to take up to 20s to establish fixed location (TM to account for boat movement in current, wind moving boat, current etc) and spot locked seems about 2ft off from exact place pressed on remote. Gets interesting in tight close quarters like docks and bridge supports. Also anchor spot lock seems to work better in current, harder in windy but slack tide conditions.

Asked thread about auto deploy function like Ulterra, and very tempting, but seems like more functions to go wrong, malfunction. So went with the xi5.

I tried to repair the old Minn Kota many times but finally bit the dust. The new remote function anywhere on boat is very handy and spot lock/anchor function is such a luxury. Also nice are "heading" feature trolling in a specific direction, the ease of "jogging" moving over or to one side a bit when fixed position, record and replay a course taken, later connecting to my chart/gps to follow contours or go directly to a chart way point or coordinates. Going to be tough to go back to old tiller.

Archived