Condensation developing during non use hours

RacerxV6

So I wasn't sure if other boaters have the same issue that I am experiencing while having the boat covered during non-use hours.  After a days outing I will come home and depending on the amount of slime or dirt, I will rinse off the boat and sometimes perform a full soap bath.  Currently my boat is a freshwater boat only so no need for a full soap down after every use.  Anyhow, I have noticed that when I get ready to leave the house and pull the cover off as I open and close lockers and hatches there seems to be condensation and moisture in areas of the boat. If I leave my rain suite in the boat it will start to mildew, under the console my batteries have condensation on them.  Question to all of you out there.  Do you experience the same issues?  Is this something that is more prevalent in the colder states? "SC Upstate "Lastly, can this be prevented?  Any Thoughts !!! Please feel free to chime in. 

Thanks Guys !!! 

Cut fun noodles to hold the hatches slightly open.

I also had to (before I put in a boat barn) leave a small fan running underneath the cover.

I plugged the fan in when I plugged the battery charger in.

A little air circulation goes a long way.

My friend has a nice Sunbrella cover, his doesn’t sweat at all - I guess the Sunbrella is breathable.

The cover needs vents as discussed many times, they work. Make sure the boat is dry before covering her. Anything along the damp rid line, make sure you set the container in a larger container. If the product overflows it will STAIN. Solar fan vents work great. Note, if you have a Garmin gps, the cover in some cases start to warp on covered boats. 😀👍🙏fin

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DblPly said:

That’s pretty common, I put PVC spacers(1” x2”) in my hatches to allow free air flow when I have mine covered ...  I put them in the gutters and they keep the hatches open about an inch...

I don't like using anything hard under the hatches....you will forget and step on a hatch or roll on it by mistake and "SNAP' goes the corner of the lid...ASK ME HOW I KNOW THIS ???

Tennis balls, foam fun, or my favorite, empty water bottles from the day on the water will work, crunch em up and set them in or a full bottle as well, if you step on the hatch it's just going to go gush !

dc

17 hours ago, jh141 said:

All of the above.....Here in South Florida I run a fan in the boat when I have the cover on. I set it on a kitchen mat on the floor of the boat on low speed.

CENTRAL MACHINERY 3 Speed from Harbor Freight. about $60.00 dollars.

THis is what I do with a box fan when I get to put the boat in the garage. I can get airflow through the entire hull.

I just leave all the hatches open when sitting outside, no cover.

Good thread - thanks to all, for the input here.  Good to know that Sunbrella breathes well!  My boat goes back in the garage after washing, but I still have to get the boat dry inside and out to control mildew.  I tilt the boat on the trailer at a steep angle and let it sit like that for a while to drain all water to the bilge and out of the hull.  Boat gets dried with a chamois, and any water left in the bilge gets sopped up with paper towels or rag.  All hatches and console door are propped open (with dock fenders).  I run a fan in the garage a medium/high speed to circulate the air.  It still takes up to two full days with the fan running, for the bilge to completely dry out after all that!

• Thanks 1

I highly recommend K-100.  This stuff will eat water in fuel. The landscape guys have caught on to K-100. Keeps the corn juice problems away from their equipment. 

I have been using it in my regular fuel since 2012 and 800 hours. I have never had a fuel problem.

Another trick to help your bilge dry, A strip of old tee shirt in the drain plug hole acting as a wick. Bone dry in no time. 

I use tee shirt wicks in a couple places to move trapped water out of me boat. Used to use this method to empty all water from my coolers. No longer a need with Engels. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RacerxV6 said:

JH141, I see I can get it online.  Do they also carry it in stores?

I use to order it online until I found it local at Burkhard Tractor. Thats our local STIHL dealer.  A 32 oz bottle treats 64 gallons. I consider that a maintenance dose to fix a problem. I normally use just half that on a regular basis. Among many others the owner of Burkhard Tractor swears by it also.

• Like 2

Racer, when your talking about condensation in your fuel tank, are you speaking about the outside of the tank or in the fuel tank itself? I usually keep my fuel tank completely full ( *** though when it vents during our 100 degree weather lol) but it definitely makes a difference.....David

Last but not least, yes the color of the cover makes a huge difference! Where darker colors absorb the sun, the lighter colors help to repel . My boat cover was the very first thing I bought after buying my boat as the UV is rough on everything. I used Carver Covers ( their out of SC ) and they added 2 vents with poles at a very affordable price. Most importantly as stated in most responses above, you have to keep the air circulating....David

Definitely not trying to correct fin- addicts reply, Carver as well custom fits to all colors, make of vessel, vents or no vents. After I ordered mine, they contacted me several times asking for details on what I wanted. Living in NE Fla where temps go from one extreme to the other, they were extremely helpful and I ordered the thickest one available. Perfect fit!.....David

DavidG, I actually did not bring up the condensation in the fuel tank, Smooth Move did.  But, I keep my tank approximately 3/4 to full when not in use.  I do not know what is happening currently under the deck.  I have not taken up the deck as I have not had a need to.  She is not quite a year old yet.  If I needed to there is a 4X5 section that is screwed down just behind the console.  I keep the nose up to allow drainage when it rains.  My cover was purchased by Avid the manufacture of my hull.  I started to leave the hatches open as suggested by everyone.  My next purchase will be a small fan that I can have sit in the hull to assist with movement of air......I wonder if I can take my cover somewhere to have vents installed?  Again, thanks everyone for all the comments and suggestions.  This is a forum that I enjoy being. a part of.

29 minutes ago, RacerxV6 said:

DavidG, I actually did not bring up the condensation in the fuel tank, Smooth Move did.  But, I keep my tank approximately 3/4 to full when not in use.  I do not know what is happening currently under the deck.  I have not taken up the deck as I have not had a need to.  She is not quite a year old yet.  If I needed to there is a 4X5 section that is screwed down just behind the console.  I keep the nose up to allow drainage when it rains.  My cover was purchased by Avid the manufacture of my hull.  I started to leave the hatches open as suggested by everyone.  My next purchase will be a small fan that I can have sit in the hull to assist with movement of air......I wonder if I can take my cover somewhere to have vents installed?  Again, thanks everyone for all the comments and suggestions.  This is a forum that I enjoy being. a part of.

Any canvas shops can install vents, hard or soft. You can also buy dyi vents and do it yourself. Cut hole, put vent part on top and the retainer  ring screws onto vent pipe underneath the canvas. Less than a hr job and works great. Used them on a 37’ when layed up fr winter up north. Little $$.

I used the white vents that don’t need a pole

google, boat cover vents, see several. 😀👍

• Like 1