Yamaha Repower Option

Mike45q

Finally got a compression check on my 2003 Yamaha 200 HPDI with 1500 hours and bad news is low compression on one of the six cylinders. 45 vs 110-120 on the other five. So since I don't want to lose 3-4 weeks of prime season and don't want to put money into that old motor it is time to re-power.

Question now is what power with? My short list is a Yamaha F200LB Short Shaft or a VF200LA V6 SHO. SHO is approximately $1500 more and weight is almost a push. What are advantages and disadvantages of each? My mechanic like the 4 cylinder but is it a just tweeked 150 and VF200 a detuned 250HP

Also should I replace wiring harness and throttle and shift cables?

Thanks in advance for your help

Mike

I suggest you should look at the 4 cyl 200 and the 250 SHO.

You will be disappointed with the 200 SHO because it appears that the ECM chokes this engine down after 4800 rpm. That makes the engine very hard to prop.

The way I look at it, if you can routinely run over 30 mph in your fishing area go for the bigger engine. In either case, go for the new controls, yours are over 12 years old.

i went with the in line 4 from a 2oo hpdi. hole shot is sick compared to the 2 stroke, but after 3000 rpm they are neck and neck. the 4 stroke is much better on fuel. and no oil to add. my buddy has a 200 sho and he kicks my *** on hole shot, but can't run off and leave me even a little. and my fuel consumption is less than the sho. i'm happy with my decision. i've played with props to the point that i'm happy with a 20p 3 blade, getting 52 mph at 53-5400 rpm and a decent hole shot. my boat is a 02-2200v weighing in at 1275, dry hull, so there's not much weight to push and the in line 4 stroke weighs almost the same as my old hpdi.

Went through the same drill and went sho. No regrets. If you run loaded it's the only way to go. Yes, the consumption is a little higher but the hole shot makes the difference. I did have issues propping it and finally settled on a rev 4 which made all the difference. Don't forget you need a jack plate unless you go long shaft sho that is only available for the 250.

How do you guys with an SHO repower on an older 22'"cl***sic" hull find the weight balance? Do you find the stern squats more than with the original motor? Does the extra weight effect your draft or motoring slow in shallow water? Does the extra stern weight increase water intrusion? Just wondering if the extra 100#'s in the rear end makes a difference.

Thanks in advance

I havent noticed any extra squat or any other negatives for that matter after going from the f150 to the 225 SHO on my 2005. I really like the SHO on my boat and would highly recommend it. I'd let you drive mine if we were closer. The power is always right there and holeshot is fast. I do tend to smile a lot more when running the boat for some reason. If you have any specific questions feel free to pm me.

Archived