Aluminum Boat Revolution!

MuddyBottomBluz

On 9/23/2021 at 8:20 AM, ROCK SI said:

Just Purchased AVID 23 Fusion from Boaters Exchange with 175 SHO. only have 20 hours on it so still little new to it. Using it in Central FL Bays/Rivers and Inshore freshwater lakes and rivers. I love this boat! I have fared two afternoon storms with heavy winds and good size whitecaps.  Rides great, Dry even in  heavy chop/whitecaps. 

3 people fuel and gear 55+mph, Hole shot is great!  After break in during normal ops we were averaging 7 to 10 gallons per day 60+ miles of travel.

Hope this Helps!

Welcome to the Avid family Rock SI.  The 23 Fusion is an awesome looking boat....would love to see some pics of her.  you can try to post them here but they may remove them.  If so, send them to me via the mail box...

On 9/25/2021 at 9:07 AM, MuddyBottomBluz said:

Another deciding factor for me would be where the aluminum was sourced. Is it domestic made aluminum or Chinese aluminum? Also gauge thickness obviously. Also my Roughneck hull was all welded but all interior components like the deck, console, live well, etc. was all riveted in. The rivets were corroding and popping so I obviously had to replace them but I applied silicone around and on top of the rivet when I installed them.

I will say one thing, these aren't our daddies aluminum boats!

However I still have an aluminum v-hull bought from a Grand Union supermarket in Miami that received slight damage after Hurricane Donna in 1960 when it was blown over as part of a display in front of the store! American Aluminum Baby!

Muddy, these boats have a combination of welding and rivets.  While the entire exterior is all -welded some of the flooring is riveted along with welding at the gunnels and where the lockers meet the floor and such.  Unless they changed their building specs from 20' to 22'.  The gauge aluminum is .125.  

20 hours ago, RacerxV6 said:

… you can try to post them here but they may remove them. 

Really guys ??

Hey Muddy and Racer !  Don’t try to sell other boats here, please !

And remember, Pathfinders were aluminum boats when they started. When they switched to fiberglass, they sold a lot of Thousands of them. 
Mod Marc

36 minutes ago, Moderator said:

Really guys ??

Hey Muddy and Racer !  Don’t try to sell other boats here, please !

And remember, Pathfinders were aluminum boats when they started. When they switched to fiberglass, they sold a lot of Thousands of them. 
Mod Marc

Mr. Mod, We are not trying to sell other boats here.  We are simply having conversation about boating and what is transpiring across the industry.

Many of the boat manufacturers today have their origins in other materials such as wood or aluminum.

Even fiberglass has gone through major changes and modifications.

The way boats are designed  and put together today bares little resemblance to years past.

Talking about such things is good for the industry but overstresing any one manufacturer can be problematic.

• Like 1

Sorry you feel that way.  Feel free to remove my account as I guess I have nothing to bring to the MBGForum as a boater.  If posting pics and or videos of other boat manufacturers and having conversations about the industry and the way it is going in the General Forum of this website somehow turns into pushing a product, then do as you see fit.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RacerxV6 said:

Sorry you feel that way.  Feel free to remove my account as I guess I have nothing to bring to the MBGForum as a boater.  If posting pics and or videos of other boat manufacturers and having conversations about the industry and the way it is going in the General Forum of this website somehow turns into pushing a product, then do as you see fit.  

Agreed!