New lesson learned

DavidG

As some of you already know, I am anal about how clean my boat is especially before covering it and storing it. Well this morning to my surprise after pulling the cover off, I found out where 2 male feral cats had been fighting and spraying over the entire inside of it. As soon as the first strap came off I was hit with the odor from hell! Not to mention all the “ goodies” they left for me to clean up! I usually bring my cover in the garage while using the boat but decided outdoors was better! But yes I learned a valuable lesson on how to cover your boat with no entrance for a cat!!! I’ll be in the water early tomorrow as the weather is great! I expect to catch my limit of catfish in no time!

• Like 1

Hard to imagine anything more disgusting !

I have the same dilemma: ventilate the cover or get mildew.  I lifted the cover to vent the stern area and had a rat get in the boat.. He couldn’t get out and hid when we moved the boat.  Wound up taking to the Keys with us. Saw him one time offshore.. Had to trap him quickly before he got too hungry.. 

MM

I Hate to say this ,but that's one reason I use shrink wrap up north for winter storage.  I know how wasteful shrink wrap is,but we recycle it. Once that's on nothing gets in .  I had a canvas cover I used when I was staying in NE for the winter.but you have to be there to watch it when the snow builds up etc. I don't think wrapping down south works because of mold ,and mildew.  

I got a cat story for ya; My old Redfisher (89) had the gas tank mounted above deck and it was visible like most older Hewes and it had gaps on the side that went into the forward storage compartment. Well one day I went out and the carpeting on the boat is ripped to shreds, yes exposed side of gas tank was carpeted along with underside of the gunwales. The deck on the forward hatch was all scratched up, boat was a mess! Well come to find out my little mutt dog was jumping around the boat and then jumped in the boat and went straight to the front hatch, that's when I realized who did the damage and why! Opened up the front hatch, cat jumps out and the chase was on!

Lesson learned sealed up the boat, no hiding spots for critters! 

Edited by MuddyBottomBluz
  • Like 1