Pay it forward

DavidG

SCFD, it honestly was like watching a disaster movie in slow motion. Here they sat ANCHORED on a outgoing tide, right in the middle of a shipping channel, in to small of a old boat, watching the waves going into the boat. It had disaster written all over it. ( at least they both put their life jackets on! 
But to add the Hewes pulled it with no trouble!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HewesYourDaddy said:

David, you and your son possibly saved lives. Thumbs up!

Hewes your daddy, I’m not patting myself or my sons back, but I honestly know that with the outgoing tide , 2 older men in their mid 70s, one close to 300# both with way to small life jackets stood no chance. ( especially after all the other boats had already moved in ). Anyone whose driven the StJohns inlet during tide change understands. I honestly knew I would read about 2 old men missing. The current was moving so bad that no one ( including my son who hopped on their boat ) couldnt get the anchor to break. A long slow tow, to get the boat to the Mayport ramp, followed by another 4-5 miles to take 1 of them to another ramp where he could pick up his truck and trailer. To me was a very successful fishing trip! Just the initial pulling up to them , you could see so many mistakes already made. Hopefully they learned something! To small of a boat with a motor not running right. Anchoring off the starboard cleat. And way to small of life jackets for their weight to name a few. Secondly, being anchored in the main shipping channel didn’t help. And mostly most important, I know every member on this forum would have done the same thing as my son and I did! I have no doubt about that! They of course offered money which was denied! But we’re told to pay it forward! So yes it was a great fishing trip!......David

PS.. One concern I did have was the flush mounted cleats being pulled off while towing so much weight. The cleat held up fine!

• Like 1

there are many ways to tow a boat.

I prefer a harness/bridle that allows the tow line to slide.

another way to decrease stress on the cleat is to run it through the stern tow eye before attaching to cleat.

another rule is to always have a sharp knife available to cut line in case of emergency. 

I  know with the shape of the guys transferring to your vessel was probably not possible but preferred. 

others with more experience may speak up

l

1 hour ago, smilemaker said:

there are many ways to tow a boat.

I prefer a harness/bridle that allows the tow line to slide.

another way to decrease stress on the cleat is to run it through the stern tow eye before attaching to cleat.

another rule is to always have a sharp knife available to cut line in case of emergency. 

I  know with the shape of the guys transferring to your vessel was probably not possible but preferred. 

others with more experience may speak up

l

Smile maker there are probably a few ways this could have been done. Unfortunately the titanium Rods,plates, and screws that run down my neck won’t allow my arms to reach over my head. ( I’m not complaining) . Transferring them to my boat would have been impossible especially in a washing machine lol. I always have a knife in reach mounted on my console. But I will say I kept a great eye on that cleat!