ECOS Required by Law

Big Dave

Saw a posting on another site about this.  Starts the first of the month I guess.

Here is the official law:
Section 503 of the Coast Guard Authorization Act of 2018 required manufacturers of covered recreational boats (less than 26 feet in length, with an engine capable of 115 lbs. of static thrust) to equip the vessel with an ECOS installed as of December 2019. Owners of recreational vessels produced after December 2019 are required to maintain the ECOS on their vessel in a serviceable condition. It is recommended that recreational vessel owners regularly check their existing ECOS system to ensure it works, following manufacturer’s instructions.

Section 8316 of the National Defense Authorization Act of 2021 requires individuals operating covered recreational vessels (less than 26 feet in length, with an engine capable of 115 lbs. of static thrust; 3 HP or more) to use ECOS “links.” Using the ECOSL is required only when the primary helm is not within an enclosed cabin, and when the boat is operating on plane or above displacement speed. Common situations where ECOSL use would not be required include docking/trailering, trolling and operating in no-wake zones.

2 hours ago, smilemaker said:

I  would think that the  wrist is the last place to attach it. you run the risk of it wrapping around the steering wheel.

a simple clip on your belt or plier holster would be much safer.

Hmm, never really thought of that.  I attach it to my right wrist which is always on the throttle or down by my side.  I steer with my left so its never in the way.  But I will be more conscious of it and see if that is a possibility.

• Like 1

Racer, we’re never to old to learn new ways or do things differently. I learned 2 very valuable lessons right after I bought my boat never owning a flats boat before. #1 Don’t stand up on the poling platform without a pole or sissy bar in the middle of winter! Trust me when I say the water is down right cold that time of year! Mistake #2, While waiting your turn to pull up to the dock, tie up to go get your truck and trailer, NEVER turn around to lift your cushion and open the compartment to get your truck keys. My left “ cheek “ shoved the throttle wide open and I came so close to running the boat by itself up the ramp! It did though bring laughter among all the people eating right next to the ramp at Safe Harbor Seafood. ( I still think they owe me for entertainment though)......David

• Haha 1

Polliwog,  You gotta remember these guys blast off and hit 68-72 in a matter of minutes and when they are running and only thinking of getting to their hole that's about all they got on their mind.  I feel the mistake he made was not backing off when he was between another boat and the bank.  If he'd a laid off he would have been fine.... I amazed the boat held it together, i thought for sure that he had a huge hole in the bottom.  Lucky that spot he hit was some what sloped...

• 2 weeks later...

I understand the urgency to getting to a spot,but this type of running 50-60 mph with nothing in the water  but the engine lower unit you have no control, I've seen multiple videos of exactly what happened here,usually the guy goes flying ,sometimes without a kill switch which results in a bad outcome.

21 hours ago, polliwog said:

I understand the urgency to getting to a spot,but this type of running 50-60 mph with nothing in the water  but the engine lower unit you have no control, I've seen multiple videos of exactly what happened here,usually the guy goes flying ,sometimes without a kill switch which results in a bad outcome.

Oh I know, I see it almost every weekend.....

This soon to be law was started by the parents of a 10 year old boy who was taking a sailing class in a group. At 1 point, the 10 year old fell off the sailboat and one of the instructors went along side of him and reached out to grab him but accidentally fell on the throttle. The young man was killed instantly by the prop of a 90 hp motor.

tragic accident but this  law would not have stopped that accident. 

like many laws the intention is good but you cannot regulate stupidity. the very people that need the device are the ones that could  care less and will just break the law. reasonable people will thus pay the price of more laws and governmental intrusion. 

• Like 4