21 MA vs 22 Pathfinder

chrsRedfish

I am trying to figure out what boat to go with. I have 30k to spend so I'm looking at early 2000 boats primarily.

I'm in Charleston, SC and I fish 80% of the time up rivers in the inshore waters, the other times are in the harbor and around the jetties with an occasion trip nearshore (2-10 miles) on nice days

I know I can do the fishing I want in the 22 pathfinder as I have done it out of a 24 bay boat so I am not worried about that. However, with my budget I can get a better boat if I go with the 21 Master Angler and I like the performance and layout for true inshore fishing better. 

My question is if I go to the 21 MA am I missing out on the versatility or is the ride going to be similar to that of the 22 Pathfinder? Will I be able to run the harbor as much or go nearshore. Am I limiting myself with the 21 master anger?

21 MA is a fantastic boat as is the 22 Pathy. The only limit with the MA may be the increased offshore distance the Pathy MAY gave you on any given day. IMO only, think the 22 is more of a family friendly all around sled more so if more people or children. Can’t go wrong with either. See no cons on choice except wanting T Top. 👍😀fin 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lap it Up said:

It comes up in conversation from time to time.  

IMO the 21 MA gets the nod in pretty much every category.  The 22 pathy is nice but the 21 MA is a purpose built hardcore fishing machine.    

If you were on the Gulf Coast of FL, I'd probably say hands down, for what you've described, the MA would offer more.   However, if you are running offshore on the Atlantic coast, the Pathy would give you a wider window of conditions.    I run an 18 MA offshore of Wilmington, but I pick my days.   Those short period wave days can wash over my decks if I'm not careful, especially when I'm getting into and out of the inlet.   

If offshore is your "20%" and rivers/inshore is your "80%", get an MA if you can find one in good shape.   

If you'd rather be ON your boat deck instead of IN it, the MA would get the nod.   

The nice thing about the Pathfinder is that it is still being made.   2011 was the last year I'm aware of that the 21 MA was made.   You may struggle to find an MA in your price range that is in the condition you want.   I'm not 100% sure you'll find a 21 MA any cheaper than the same year 22 Pathy, but I could be wrong.

Either way, you'll have a great boat, you'll just be way cooler if you have a Master Angler.   We can send you your secret "I'm part of the MA Cult" membership pin once you prove ownership and learn the secret handshake.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We are pretty close geographically with you in Charleston and me in Savannah. I have owned a 24 PF , 18 MA and now a 22 PF.  As stated all of these are excellent boats . I do fish a 21 MA quite a bit with a friend. My opinion is that the MA is a better fishing platform in the rivers and creeks and the PF is safer and drier for the beachfront. We fish a lot for Tripletail and Tarpon on the beaches and I promise you that if you are in a MA out front and you get some NE blowing , have your foul weather gear handy because you are going to get wet from spray. In my PF we fish from North of Hilton Head all the way down South to Jekyll Island on various days. So, I run the beachfronts a lot. The PF is drier and you will be standing at the helm rather than sitting lower in boat. However....this will be your personal choice because both of the boats you are looking at are fantastic boats. You can’t make a bad choice. Again....this is just my opinion from fishing and owning PF ‘s and MA’s for over 25 years.

either way, go buy one and get ready, the water temp is up to 63 F here and the fishing only going to get better. 👍🎣

• Like 2

11 hours ago, fishmanjj said:

My opinion is that the MA is a better fishing platform in the rivers and creeks and the PF is safer and drier for the beachfront

ding ding ding...winner winner....chicken dinner....best describes it.

I've fished the MA 22 many times and owned a PF22....

it's about higher gunnels and center standing console to grab when off shore or in rough inlets...

they will cross the same chop and I feel the MA has an advantage due to you are sitting down vs standing and can actually run a bit faster.

80/20 rule.....what do you do 80% of the time?

dc

• Like 1