Thru hull vs in hull transducer

East Coast Dave

I’m getting ready to pull the Pathfinder (23 HPS) off the lift and get a bunch of nagging misc stuff done for summer. Have have a side scan transducer and have the issue on losing bottom at speed.  I’m a little funny about the thru hull because the idea of drilling the hole through the bottom but do I need to worry about the lift and trailer skids damaging it too?  What about in hull that shoot thru?  I do mostly inshore but want to start try to fish the near shore wrecks etc. Any suggestion on what to go with?

Has anyone modified their live well with bubbler or two pumps?

Not looking to waste money but I was thinking while I have it out and have someone working on it I might as well have it done. 

I was think about taking it to the Skiff Shop in oak hill area. Anyone have any experience with them?

• Like 1

Because of the step and the turbulence it produces, you need a transducer mounted in front of the step.  Most people use a Airmar B60 thru hull transducer and then mount their downscan/sides can transducer on the transom but for slow speed use only.

I suggest you find a Pathfinder dealer that is familiar with the mounting of a thru hull transducer in a 2300.

I mounted my own B-60 thru-hull. There is a hole in the gas tank for that purpose. It is ahead of the step. And, this area is about 1 ft. to the port side of the keel, so the trailer or lift bunks should not interfere with the transducer. I have an Ameritrail trailer and also keep my 23 HPS on a lift and the bunks do not touch the transducer. 

26 minutes ago, East Coast Dave said:

Fishmanjj - LOL. You’re making my decisions so much easier. That’s why I want someone that has installed a ton of them and I’m not about attempt doing it myself.  The in-hull was my way trying to avoid the hole in the hull but you don’t ever hear anyone talk about in-hull. 

I think it you were talking about a big sportfish boat , having it professionally installed is a must....but for a bay or flats boat the newer transom mounts work fine. I have the Garmin 94v with the long transducer for side scan, direct down, etc and it reads fine at all depths from 0 to 45 mph with no issues. I did add the “ no spray “ Garmin accessory to prevent the spray from coming up the transom and soaking the engine and back of boat....but, once I added it...I have very little if any spray.

image.thumb.jpeg.8c9229f42d3bca8e76a8d59b9071081e.jpeg

I just re-installed my in hull transducer in my 2300. The transducer that was originally installed somehow disconnected from the hull which caused my HDS12 to lose bottom readings.  The access hole is located under your console which allows access to the bottom of your hull.  I'm 6'1", 225lbs and it was kind of tricky to maneuver in the small space but with some ingenuity I was able to sand and reinstall the transducer to the hull.  All I did was attach a sanding pad to a 36" wooden rod that attached to my drill to sand bottom to prep site.  I then cleaned bottom with a solvent to remove debris caused by the sanding.  I then applied adhesive to the transducer bottom and attached same to a wooden rod and was able to place and secure to bottom.  I've always been able to get good bottom readings while running with the in hull transducer.  It must, however,  be installed in front of step to get readings while running. 

I, like Fishmanjj's Dad, Just don't believe in drilling a whole in the bottom of my boat.  Not saying it's wrong, just my opinion.  Hope this helps.