Power pole - real world thoughts on which model?

whichwaysup

Hey all - 

After all the glowing reviews or Power Pole's customer service, I am very strongly considering installing an 8' powerpole on my MA this year.  I've never been 100% sure what the real difference is in the three models (sportsman, pro, blade).   Obviously the Blade is top of the line - I guess it is faster.    I'm a "value" guy, and I'm not a tournament fisher.   On the other hand, I've underbought before and regretted it.   

I'd very much appreciate a layman's explanation of exactly what is different in the three models, and, if you have had the experience with multiple models, I'd love a "real world comparison".    Most of my fishing is in 4-8 feet of water, but most of the time I'd "pole up" is going to be in 2-5'.    Also, would consider a 10' version at a lower model level if anyone would suggest it.    

• Like 1

First of all I LOVE the company. All of the support accolades are 100%, they are awesome. I've had 4 poles now through the years so I have some experience, including one of the originals from 15+ years ago that is still going strong on my brother's boat. My two older PPs had no remote and a wired switch so already I think the new ones are amazing (once I remembered I had a remote around my neck and stopped running to the console switch). My newest is a brand new 8' Blade. I went with the 8' over the 10' because I felt like the 10' stuck up too high when folded. Both for garage storage and for throwing a castnet off of the back of the boat. I love it but honestly, just speaking for me, it is similar to the 8' sportsman on my Dad's pontoon. I'm not sure really what I would be missing, although I do like how sleek the Blade looks on my boat so there's a difference. The speed and noise from the pump seem the same to me. I'll be interested to see others' feedback on anything I'm missing. 

• Like 2

Well, funny I saw this...I bought a 1996 18.5ft MA a couple yrs ago.  It had an 8ft Blade PP on it.  It has been very erratic to work.  I had a new motor installed back in Sept., 2020, and they did some warranty work on my PP.  Used it in Sept, it worked.  Used it in Dec, it worked.  Boat has been covered and under my pole barn.  Rewired my trailer this weekend, cranked the boat...and the PP did not work....I think its broken more than fixed.  And it is used VERY sparingly...maybe that's the issue.  No clue, but reliability has been weak.  Now, their Cust Serv is great.  I called PP today...told them my issue.  I have to give them the serial # and they said they would mail me a new motherboard..seems to be a common problem.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, guys, really appreciate it.   Looks like the only version that goes 10' is the blade, am I seeing that right?   Why WOULDN'T I go with the sportsman 2?   I still can't see what the Pro does that the sportsman doesn't.   Any one know?

Also, want to avoid mounting to the stern, so looking for the bracket- any reason that would be a bad idea?

2 minutes ago, SouthernWake said:

Power pole is a huge help when fishing solo without a trolling motor.

Yep - I love my Ipilot, but there are many times I want to have the bow facing the point I'm working, vs. the stern.   The kids love having the poling platform facing the target, but being able to put the boat broadside or bow forward to the target is better.   Plus, it drives me nuts when I hit spot lock and have any momentum going.   Minn Kota really needs to program a "stealth mode" into it's spot lock.   I'd rather take a few extra minutes to return to a desired position than to blow the spot because the TM goes into a panic to try to reverse course and push 3,000 pounds instantaneously in the opposite direction it was going.   

I forgot to add yes I would put a new pole on a bracket too. Mine are mounted to the back of my boat but if I did not have holes I would not drill holes I would use the bracket. 

I think the blades all come with nice rubber hose now rather than the smaller plastic lines. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Shallowminded6 said:

I am in the same boat as WWIU. Has anyone had the grasshopper leg effect in shallow water with the 10’? Or is that over dramatized?

Yes. I was just about to reply and point out that. I ran 8's then 10's and now back to 8s for that very reason. In shallow water if the 10's dont deploy they will have a grasshopper leg effect and flex a ton. On dual blades anyway.

5 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

Thanks for the replies, guys, really appreciate it.   Looks like the only version that goes 10' is the blade, am I seeing that right?   Why WOULDN'T I go with the sportsman 2?   I still can't see what the Pro does that the sportsman doesn't.   Any one know?

Also, want to avoid mounting to the stern, so looking for the bracket- any reason that would be a bad idea?

If thinking of 10s...see the earlier post I replied to on flex above. I only run duals and only run blades. So much depends on how you fish. I fish in less than 4-5' of water 95% of the time. When not I use the Rhodan. Its stealthy and dead on in the deep stuff so I am not using the PP for deeper than couple feet.  I run my blades up and down many dozens of times a trip and running a couple trips a week so they get used. A lot. No issues. An older one had a reversing relay go out but the top notch service had me one next day. No issues on their end anyway. 🤣 I have forgotten a time or two and jumped on plane with them not up all the way and broke spikes once or twice and a knuckle or two along the way.  Mine are transom mounted but I will move to the brackets when I re-power. The brackets will allow you to change them out so much easier than the direct transom mount. As for which model...unless they have changed the Blades are the fastest and easiest to adjust on the remote. They may all run the same motor now. Call PP and they will school you up right quick. Rich at Hydrilla gear is very knowledgeable too on each model. I prefer the look of the blades and on set 3 or 4 so I havent studied the newer versions of Pro and Sportsman. 

Depending on your fishing, you will need at Stick IT to keep you facing into a current bow forward...

Remember, the PP will stick well, but, then it will spin on the Pole in the current...you need to either use a push pole or get a 8-10 foot Stick It to hold the bow.

ALL my boats, with the exception of the RF18 in 2003, have had a PP....very hard for my style of fishing not to have them (I use twins to hold me in current bow forward in Choko.)  

With my restoration, I'm changing out ALL my bolts after 6 years....I also changed out the power units last year when I was having board problems.. Powerpole was great...they sent me two boards, but each time they blew out....we couldn't figure the reason.....so, I said the heck with it and bought two new units and they have not missed a beat...a few $$$ but, it's the hobby and after the 2nd time, I said I'm spending $$$ and time to drive two hours...each way....I want something that works...

DC

• Like 1

Has anyone in the forum used the MinnKota Raptor or Talon setup.  Haven't heard of too many faults with those.  I understand that PP CS is outstanding but wouldn't you rather have the unit work and not have to count on the CS aspect?

this is a setup option that I am looking to add in the future.

Edited by RacerxV6
Addition

6 hours ago, SouthernWake said:

Run, don't walk, away from the Talon. Not sure how that one even escaped R&D.

Duelly noted!!!  I have only heard good things about the Raptor!!!  couple of my bass buddies have the and they rave about them.  They fish a lot of tourneys and so far so good.  

So what might be the difference in raptor and power pole?  I mean it's a copy of power poles design so what might make it better than the guys who have been tweaking that design for what 20 years? I do not mean to sound rude, but if you have bass buddies that RAVE about them, share how they compare raptors  to PP.

• Like 1

There is no marine equipment company that comes close to the amazing customer service you get with Power Pole.  If you know one marine company that compares , please let us all know so we can buy their products also. I’ve had a USCG Master 100 Ton Captain License for over 40 years now and been in all corners of the world on Sportfish Yachts and many many inshore and offshore fishing tourneys and have never experienced a customer service group that asks no questions about what happened...all they ask is your mailing address to ship you replacement parts. It’s incredible .....

i am not knocking Raptor,  because I have owned nothing but Power Poles since their introduction of shallow water anchors, however....history speaks for itself.  Just my opinion. 

Raptor better be decent, they just waited for the Power Pole patent to expire and then copied the design. I have had both company's products for year. The difference is customer service. Contact Minn Kota and they will take a week to get back to you and refer you to an authorized repair facility. Contact Power Pole and they respond immediately and ask you for your address so they can send you the replacement. 

• Like 1