Battery question

Waterman18

My 2020 22trs came without a Trolling Motor and now I'm adding one. (Finally found one!)

The boat came with 2 Brute Force Marine starting batteries rated 800CCA and reserve capacity of 105.

I need to add a 3rd battery, plan on using  an Interstate Group 27 Deep Cycle (has 160 reserve cap.) for the TM and ideally I would like both of the TM batteries to be Deep Cycle or Dual Purpose but the 2nd stock battery is brand new. Would there be any issue "mixing" the different types of batteries for  Trolling motor use?

I WOULD ( IMO ) Use the current matching brute force batteries for your trolling motor circuit. Buy a new House (cranking) battery. Wire one one of the trolling batts as a backup cranking batt. Battery's seem to charge and last longer in parallel when they are alike. I am assuming your trolling Motor is 24 volt?

As you use the new TM you will get a sense of what you really need as far as size and type of battery's "you" really need. Use what you have till they wear out.

I have a 22 TRS, I have a 36 volt Trolling Motor. I have a Group 27 AGM Optima Blue as my main cranking Battery 1, ( House 1)  I have three Group 24 AGM Deka batteries in the console in a custom made starboard box for my 36 volt TM circuit, The third batt in my TM circuit doubles as my Battery 2 (House 2). If my Batt 1 has a problem I switch my switch to Batt 2, (has only happened once and was a cable problem). If I need more to get going I switch to Batt 1 and Batt 2 Both together. Never had to do this except when testing the redundancy of the system.

If you need any help feel free to PM me.

My setup for 22 Pathy with 24v Tm.

2 start/house cranking 27 batteries in stern with 4 way battery switch, 1-2-both-off.

2 DP 27’s in console for 24v Tm.

all tied into a 2 bank battery charger in console. I run my start/house batteries on BOTH all the time. Never had a problem in 50 years running that way. Some will disagree in doing so. On rare occasions at anchor at night I might use 1 as house and 2 to start depending on what electronics are on to be safe.

If the brute fore are not deep cycle, I would not use them for the TM.  You want your TM batteries to be deep cycle like GaFullCircle stated and you need 2 of them for your 24v TM if that's what your getting.  Wire your TM directly to them with a circuit Breaker in between 50AMP I believe.  Also, purchase an onboard charger just for the TM batteries, if you don't you will regret later...

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, fin-addict said:

My setup for 22 Pathy with 24v Tm.

2 start/house cranking 27 batteries in stern with 4 way battery switch, 1-2-both-off.

2 DP 27’s in console for 24v Tm.

all tied into a 2 bank battery charger in console. I run my start/house batteries on BOTH all the time. Never had a problem in 50 years running that way. Some will disagree in doing so. On rare occasions at anchor at night I might use 1 as house and 2 to start depending on what electronics are on to be safe.

This is a very good setup. May be more than Waterman18 needs but very Good.

The boat is pre wired and ready to go with the 50 amp breaker and separate TM battery switch. All newer Pathfinders come this way. It’s also rigged the “Hobo” system with one of the TM batteries tied to the boats battery switch to use in case of low main battery. This is my 3rd 22 and previous boat had 3 battery set up and worked fine. My only concern was that they set it up with 2 cranking batteries.  I guess the most prudent thing would be to just buy a pair of Deep Cycles for the TM.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Waterman18 said:

The boat is pre wired and ready to go with the 50 amp breaker and separate TM battery switch. All newer Pathfinders come this way. It’s also rigged the “Hobo” system with one of the TM batteries tied to the boats battery switch to use in case of low main battery. This is my 3rd 22 and previous boat had 3 battery set up and worked fine. My only concern was that they set it up with 2 cranking batteries.  I guess the most prudent thing would be to just buy a pair of Deep Cycles for the TM.  

Yes sir you can do it a number of ways. Personally if I were going to go with three batteries I would do as you stated in your first post. Buy two new trolling batteries and wire one as a back up to the starter. The problem with that is that if your switch is currently the on/off type rather than 1/2or both the house battery stuff will likely always draw on your trolling motor pack. That’s just the way the on off switch is set up. Personally I would buy two deep cycles and leave the current batteries as they are. Keep in mind I haul 5 batteries around everywhere I go. Starting and house set up on ACR to automatically charge as needed and protect the starting battery from being drawn down. The other 3 for the 36 volt trolling motor. 

I think for a good recommendation on which way to go in your boat the first thing to know is how your current battery switch is set up. 

On 3/26/2021 at 7:01 AM, Bamaskeet said:

A lot of people have had good luck with Sam’s Club Duracell battery’s.

Those are DEKA's...I just bought two for my Holy Ghost....6 lbs heavier than the 27's,but, lots of reserve capacity.

Waterman...as stated before....don't mix the batteries.

The best solution would be to carry two house batteries and two Deep Cyle batteries....you should have room in the console...if not, and you don't want to go through all the wiring, nothing says you can't just keep the 2nd house in the stern in a battery box, keep it trickle charged, and throw a set of jumper cables in the boat in the event that the trolling motor batteries run down along with the house...you always have power......

DEKA gam's 31 are brutes...I ran them in my 22 Pathy....lots of weight...but, lots of reserve power for the TM.

DC

If you are inshore then a 4th battery is overkill, if you spend a decent amount of time offshore it is added security. The party crowd can also benefit from a 4th battery. But for the majority of boats a 3 battery system with a portable lithium jump starter is all you really need. A 3 battery system with a Stealth or Power Pole charge system also eliminates the need for a 4th battery.

To me there are too many ways to effectively use a 3 battery system, that a 4th battery is not the best investment.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Waterman18 said:

I went with 2 Interstate Deep Cycles for the Trolling Motor setup. One is tied into the boat switch allowing me to it to provide extra power if needed. 

Thanks for all replies!

Just curious, if the boat had two good batteries and you were buying two deep cycle batteries, why take out one of the first set? 
  Was it room? Placement? Weight? 
 Also on a boat that new did you have to change the switch to use trolling as backup to start? 
Again not questioning your decision just a curious mind 

Weight and space preferences. The 3 bank charger is behind the 3 batteries and  attached to the floor. 
I added charger after delivery and didn't want to drill holes in side of console or glue up some pvc board. The boats come rigged with 2 mini Blue Seas battery switches. One is for the TM (on/off) which is connected to a 50 amp breaker. The main switch is for 2 connectors with a selection for combo use in emergency starting using a TM battery. This is all connected using the so called hobo method. Surprisingly, all the wires all labeled very clearly making it a breeze to connect everything. Although plug in the bow for the TM was wired incorrectly and took a little work with the meter to find the correct wiring order. 

• Like 1