25 hybrid fish box

Fisherman

Macerator installed at factory so that it did not drain to the bilge. Why they can't/won't let it drain overboard without that pump is beyond me. The macerator does nothing but move water. There is a pretty fine mesh drain cover in the fish box that lets nothing of size go through to the pump anyway. Great way to force us to buy an unneeded pump.

I have been looking into this issue which I have as well. I believe that it may be doable after the fact. I am tearing into it tonight to see what would be involved to add the mascerator pump and thru hull. When I trailered the boat, it was not really an issue, now that it sits on the lift, different story. After every offshore trip, I let all the ice melt (I made a plug for the drain) and than use a shop vac to clean it out and than dump overboard. PIA !

On 3/28/2021 at 3:53 PM, FINCHASER said:

They will install a direct drain overboard without a pump.... many have had it done you have to specify that for the build. IF you choose not to go with macerator option and dont specify to drain it overboard it drains into the bilge standard

Well that wasn’t an option when I bought the boat. It is absurd to drain the fish box into the bilge. 

• Like 1

Well if you mean it wasnt listed on the options list... that is correct.   They accommodate special requests very well and did for my last boat (2012) and current one as well.  For example Ive requested different color caulking, different color soft top and made changes to  the trailer etc etc.... all (at the time) not listed as options on an option sheet.  

Anytime I look at a boat model I thoroughly research how different aspects of how things are done standard then look at options for that aspect.  In my case I asked around about the fish box drain and asked where it drains without the macerator option.  That was more for my FYI than anything as I prefer to use a cooler for fish storage but wanted to know in case I ever did have a need to use it for fish Id know.   

The salesman offered his opinion that he wouldnt go with the macerator (I was already leaning that way as Ive heard they constantly have issues) and said we could have them drain it direct overboard and if not it would drain into the bilge.   My "fish box" is used to store all my fishing gear Im sure Im not alone in that so point is its only a "fish box" if you are going to use it for that purpose

• 5 weeks later...

Yes it is possible to drain the fish box overboard after it has been put together. I removed the bottom of the front box panels and can reach the drain fitting that just dumps into the hull. I don’t see a way to get it to drain out of the front box to the rear thru hulls. There is a header going across right at the fish box. Will have to install a thru hull fitting somewhere up front to pump out through the side of the hull. There is a mounting plate for the macerator pump to mount to just in front of the drain fitting. I looked at it and have been so busy have not had time to get it done. The wiring might be an issue as well for the pump. Not 100% sure on that yet. Not a whole lot of openings that I could see on the initial look to get wire to the pump.