Accessing 2020 2600 TRS batteries

K D

I have been having some intermittent electrical issues, and was going to pull the batteries out to load test them, but can't figure out how to get them out. On my 2600 they are forward of the console order the deck, with the access hatch just forward of and above the four (4) batteries. If I remove the screws that hold the trays to the deck, I still can't get to the aft screws, and I can't remove the batteries due to the hold-down bolt being in the way. Am I missing something? How do you get the batteries out? 

IMG_3623.jpeg

IMG_3624.jpeg

I may be way off base here but I have to take a stab at this. It appears you need to take the nut off the stainless hold down rod. If you can’t get to the back one you should be able to lift the hold down over the stainless rod on the front. The rod will rotate and snap out or the bottom tray and you should be able to work the battery out of the box. 

• Like 1

Well, after looking at the tray's (T-H Marine - photo below), and trying to remove one of the stainless steel rods, I am at a loss. All four batteries are held in place by the trays - may have to remove the battery charger, to slide the fwd port battery out first, then slide the others out after getting that one out of its tray... Any other ideas?

battery-holder-trays-with-rod-hold-down-493693599772_2000x.jpg

Well here goes; those are great battery trays if you have room to work and lift. In you're case they are just a pain in the azz. You have to remove the hold-downs with very limited space and run the chance of shorting a battery with the tools you are using. Then you have to lift each battery over the front lip of the battery trays. Personally, I would remove those trays and cut the front edge off all four battery trays. Then replace the rods and hold downs with a strap type hold down. The strap type hold downs, run under the battery tray and over the top of the battery.  

Then you can easily unbuckle the hold down straps, and slide each battery to the front, then remove. 

I know this does not help now but             Seachoice USCG-Approved Premium Marine Hold-Down Battery Tray, Black

These battery trays have the rods on the sides and a lower side lip.

Looks like you are going to have to wrestle those out. 

One thing is you can load test at the other end of the battery cables. I do that to test my cables at the same time. Just be careful when disconnecting and maneuvering, the cables will be hot.  

6 hours ago, smilemaker said:

for a true load test it needs to be done on the terminals with nothing else on.

can't  say I  would do it using  the cables as connectors. 

You will find that if you have a cable failing as I did and all my batteries load tested good, That load testing at the end of the cable will give you a great indicator and a bad load test if a cable is bad. That is how I was able to find this hidden under the shrink tube.

Bad Cable.jpg

I have this setup and it is very difficult to use.  I have had to get all five of my batteries out several times and you lay on your belly and peek upside down into the hatch.  You take off the top plastic straps off the front two and lift one up and away from the other and let it rest on the side of the bottom tray.  Then force and twist the other battery out between the two rods.   Repeat for the next set and then the next set

After all, it turned out that my Group 27 starting/house battery was toast after 1 year of use... To get it out for load testing/replacement, I ended up cutting the rod out using a Dremel, and replaced the battery hold-down with a temporary strap while I await the mailman bringing me a new TH-Marine tray with a strap...  Bought a Die Hard Marine Group 31 to replace while I contemplate spending $1K for four new AGM batteries... (yikes!)... I tried to reuse the hold down post, but couldn't figure out how to make it stay in place absent bending a "hook" in the bottom, which I feared might do damage at some point to the battery... Not sure what Pathfinder was thinking here - the trays are great if you can access from above, but of course, you can't....

IMG_3653.jpeg