1 or 2 Power Poles?

B2TB

For those of you that have a bay boat in the 22-23 foot range and have a power pole installed, what has your experience been? For example, those with only a single pole, do you wish you had a second one installed? What problems if any do you have holding the boat?  If you already have 2 poles, what comments do you have.

Thanks 

I have a 23’, and just added a second pole last weekend. Holding power with a single pole is fine in creeks or where there is limited wake, current or traffic. The sandbar we frequent has a bit of traffic the current runs pretty hard. Last summer we saw a huge increase in boat traffic, and I broke loose more times than I like. Outside of pivoting with just one pole, I didn’t mind fishing with it too much, but more because my trolling motor has a spot lock feature, and I relied on that to keep me in place while fishing. For me, the second pole is almost 100% due to our sandbar and play time on the water. We have a 5 y/o and do a lot of sandbars, so....I hope this helps with your decision. 

“ but babe , it’s for the you and the kids more than me ‘ 🤣🤣🤣🤣 well played sir well played 😎😎

Kidding aside I would love to have two poles. I do not really like Putting one pole down and spinning round for waves to lap against the stern. I would prefer to drop two poles and keep the bow where I want it.  Twins are high on my wish list, 

• Like 1

Amen on the value of a PowerPole but an option to the second PowerPole is to use a "Stick Pin" or similar.  I use it on the front side in conjunction with the PowerPole  to keep the boat from swinging when Chuming/Cast Netting for bait or fishing.  Cost is $100 vs $1500 for the second PowerPole. Would like a second PowerPole but hard to justify.

Alright I have a thought and want to put it out there and see what ya'll think.......................

I think that the biggest problem(s) that most face when using a single Power Pole is two fold, again this is what I think so correct me if I am wrong................

• With a single pole you still spin on a single pivot point so depending on wind and tide you are dancing around the boat trying to cast in a specific area.
  • In higher winds and currents, having that single anchor point it can pull or drag off position.

Now in my twisted mind and avoiding having to add more power poles, pumps and controls; what if they/you were to eliminate a single spike and install a dual spike on a single pole? For example like a pitchfork type spike that has multiple contact points for anchoring. That would eliminate multiple power poles, prevent spinning and help from dragging? I know that it would be bad for business at power pole but for smaller boats I think it would be the way to go.

Again this is just a thought, what are your thoughts in regards to this?? 

• Like 2

On 4/24/2021 at 9:21 AM, HoneyB said:

“ but babe , it’s for the you and the kids more than me ‘ 🤣🤣🤣🤣 well played sir well played 😎😎

Kidding aside I would love to have two poles. I do not really like Putting one pole down and spinning round for waves to lap against the stern. I would prefer to drop two poles and keep the bow where I want it.  Twins are high on my wish list, 

Add it you your play book! You're welcome! 

On 4/25/2021 at 6:55 AM, Bamaskeet said:

I use the spot lock on my trolling motor most of the time, except in real shallow water where my trolling motor kicks up too much mud.  Two power poles are helpful in 2’ of water or less.

Which is where I fish 99% of the time. Spot lock can be a bit too much during initial lock up and often spooks fish when it does it's dramatic direction change. 

On 4/24/2021 at 10:08 PM, Mike45q said:

Amen on the value of a PowerPole but an option to the second PowerPole is to use a "Stick Pin" or similar.  I use it on the front side in conjunction with the PowerPole  to keep the boat from swinging when Chuming/Cast Netting for bait or fishing.  Cost is $100 vs $1500 for the second PowerPole. Would like a second PowerPole but hard to justify.

I used this for many years on the pathy 22....it's just alot easier to hit the button and they both head down...plus you don't have all the mud and crud on the bow when you pull up the stickit.

works fine.....just if you have the $$$ the duals make life on the water so much easier.

dc

On 4/25/2021 at 6:02 AM, MuddyBottomBluz said:

Alright I have a thought and want to put it out there and see what ya'll think.......................

I think that the biggest problem(s) that most face when using a single Power Pole is two fold, again this is what I think so correct me if I am wrong................

• With a single pole you still spin on a single pivot point so depending on wind and tide you are dancing around the boat trying to cast in a specific area.
  • In higher winds and currents, having that single anchor point it can pull or drag off position.

Now in my twisted mind and avoiding having to add more power poles, pumps and controls; what if they/you were to eliminate a single spike and install a dual spike on a single pole? For example like a pitchfork type spike that has multiple contact points for anchoring. That would eliminate multiple power poles, prevent spinning and help from dragging? I know that it would be bad for business at power pole but for smaller boats I think it would be the way to go.

Again this is just a thought, what are your thoughts in regards to this?? 

I'm imagining the issue is around failure due to torque on the unit.

• Like 1

Interesting discussion. I have never had two power poles. Always used one and a stick it and it worked fine for 10 plus years on 2 pathfinders and 3 Mavericks. My opinion two power poles is too much stern weight in a maverick (not a master angler so don't get started on that one) but fine for a pathfinder. All that being said, we are now doing a lot of dock fishing and I sure wish I had two for that. I guess my bottom line is "How you fish, where you fish and what you fish from" should determine if you need one or two.

• Like 1

I'd like to personally NOT thank the OP for starting this thread.   I'm about to buy a power pole for my MA.  I was so giddy and excited and just couldn't wait to get that ONE power pole . . . . then you started THIS thread, and now I'm suddenly realizing that I want TWO power poles.    Man, how quickly we get greedy!  ;)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, whichwaysup said:

I'd like to personally NOT thank the OP for starting this thread.   I'm about to buy a power pole for my MA.  I was so giddy and excited and just couldn't wait to get that ONE power pole . . . . then you started THIS thread, and now I'm suddenly realizing that I want TWO power poles.    Man, how quickly we get greedy!  ;)

I just want mine to grow up from 8 to 10!!!!

• Like 1