First Moon in June

rubble

This is a time my Dad used to talk about quite a bit.  He always said “we need to be on the water during the “first moon in June.”  I’ve read some about the moon in June but nothing is specific to when the “First Moon” actually happens.  Is it when the new moon phase begins?  Is it when the first full moon happens?  At what point in the moon phase is it actually considered “The First Moon in June?”  

18 minutes ago, THE OUTLAW said:

The full moon in May and June were the ones

Thanks Ralph.  Figured it was full moon, since you were night fishing - but just making sure.  Going to fish the salt marsh at high tide around the full moon in June.  Hope I have some good fish stories to share here!

The new moon is usually stronger because the moon and sun are pulling in the same direction . During a full moon they pull in opposite directions . So tides are usually highest on the new moon . So like Capt Troy said the June new moon should have a advantage over the full moon . Tides bait wind direction water temperature and water clarity are all part of the hunt for fish game . The best time to fish is when you can go . The above information can also be used as reasons you didn’t spend the day with your pole bent and your reel screaming . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dabear said:

The new moon is usually stronger because the moon and sun are pulling in the same direction . During a full moon they pull in opposite directions . So tides are usually highest on the new moon . So like Capt Troy said the June new moon should have a advantage over the full moon . Tides bait wind direction water temperature and water clarity are all part of the hunt for fish game . The best time to fish is when you can go . The above information can also be used as reasons you didn’t spend the day with your pole bent and your reel screaming . 

Great Explanation!  Makes sense.  Thanks to you and the rest!

My question was more geared to what we do here in KY & TN during June.  It's a night fishing area.  Cherokee Lake (Morristown, TN) has always been my favorite.  One of those bodies of water where when you showed up at night and turned on the black lights, you just knew something awesome was about to happen.  For Bassers, great feeling but nothing compared to the tugs to the other end of the lines you guys experience down in FL.