Plastic Fuel Tank Gone Bad? Advice Needed

Travis Davis

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a 2003 Pathfinder 2200 and was recently filling up at the gas station. While filling up I was heads down packing cooler, putting rods in holders etc. I had a half a tank so I was planning to fill up while there and as I looked up the number was getting close to what it would costs to fill it up from empty. Then the dreaded bilge came on and I thought it was just water but realized quickly it was gas, a dangerous situation. The gas ran out until it was about half way full then it stopped bilging, so if it's the tank it has to be at the top. My natural inclination is that it's the tank, but the current tank is plastic and for it to go bad would be extremely rare. Reaching out to the community to see if there is anything else it might potentially be? If it is the tank, is there a forum post that shows step by step how to do do the job? I done several google searches and youtube and while I see how to replace tanks, I don't see very much on doing it to a Pathfinder. Open to any suggestions you all my have, this is my first Pathfinder and this happened on around the 5th trip so hoping for the best and a speedy recovery back to the water. 

Thanks in advance for any help you all can provide,

TD

I had an '04 2200 and when replacing fuel lines I was thinking to myself I sure hope that poly tank never goes bad, it would be a MAJOR project to replace. I'm assuming the gas pump never automatically shut off, you never said, if it did not and you were pumping gas in the bilge it sounds like a filler hose issue or complete failure of the sending unit gasket assembly. I can't think of any other leak that would keep up with the gas pump's volume. If it was a small "pin hole" size leak, up to a broken fuel line, the gas pump would have filled the tank and shut off. My $.02.

Had a very similar issue happen in the Keys with a hole, actually multiple holes half way up the side, in the main tank of my brother's SeaVee, it was an aluminum tank, filled it up in the evening and the next morning we noticed the bilge pumping which was strange, yep it was gas. Oh yeah it was a real fun day fixing the problem. We were able to pump the gas out, used an electric fuel pump from NAPA from the main tank into the secondary tank and five gallon cans to fill my boat. Not to scare you but to have the tank removed, new tanks built, replaced and fiberglass repaired was a smooth $7500.

In any case be careful.

Thanks all for giving me input here. I have someone looking at the boat today and will report back findings but wanted to give some more context as we work to diagnosis and fix. After the gas stopped bilging we looked under the console and I saw that my battery tray was loose and you could tell that it was ajar since the last trip. I thought initially that must be the problem, that the batteries moving around must have caused a hole in the top of the tank or potentially a hose to come loose. When we took the batteries out and looked underneath we didn't see anything that looked abnormal at all and it looked very clean. 

Another factor to keep in mind is that the top of the tank was completely dry. No gas on top at all, which makes me think it's the tank. As opposed to sending unit, fill hose etc. To answer your question Don V, the pump never clicked off. So to your point that is a lot of pressure/volume for it to never click off and the bilge was pumping very strong by the time I went inside and bought drinks, ice etc. so it happened very quickly. If it's the tank I know it's going to be quite the job & $$$. 

After that additional information I'm not sure if anyone else thinks it could potentially be something else? Given plastic tanks don't go bad often, the severity of the flow and not having even a minor gas problem the previous 4-5 trips, does it sound odd for it to go from having what seems to be a stable tank to one that must have quite the hole in it? 

Not sure if anyone has a link to anybody in the community who's done this before and has step by step pictures but I've done searches and came up with less information than I hoped. 

Thanks again for the help and open to any additional suggestions. I should be able to give additional information this afternoon as the plan is to get the gas out and fill with water and see if that gives us any more of an idea. 

Question; do you have a rod holder next to your fill cap? Was your gas tank topped off after all this? A leak that major would have been found in the tank long before you filled up on that particular day.

You would not be the first person to fill up a bilge via a rod holder mistaking it for the gas tank fill.  I wasn't the first either, I know that!:D  

• Like 1

Thanks Donh for sending that information over, I'll take a look at that page. 

MuddyBottomBluz - I wish I could blame it on a bone headed moment but I used the boat gas cap key and was sure I put gas in the gas cap labeled "gas". Sounds like it would be a lot cheaper if I just made a simple mistake, but I agree with you, I think the problem would start smaller and eventually get to the point at the gas station. Unless the seller knew there was a problem with the tank and was able to perform some type of short term fix and that day is when it gave? (not saying that happened at all, just thinking through all possible options)

I'll chime in one more time. Had a friend who bought a new AquaSport around '86 -'87 and on his third or fourth time putting gas in the boat he decided to fill it up versus just an even amount of money. Anyway he's filling it up and after a long time asked why it was taking so much gas. Well the fill hose had not had the clamps tightened properly, actually at all and the hose slid back off the tank and he had pumped a bunch of gas in the boat at the marina's fuel dock. That will give you serious "pucker power" :)

I used a gas cap key as well removed the cap but in a rush, had someone talking to me about the boat and put the nozzle in the rod holder. The boat was an old Mako 17 and had rod holders everywhere since it was owned by a keys fish company and one was inches away from the gas fill, both stainless steel. 

I just wanted to address the what many may have been thinking. Good luck and keep us updated.

Could ypu do a pressure test on the tank? 

I also would put money on it being a fuel hose popping loose under pressure when you were inside the station.   That would explain it not happening immediately.   To keep up with the flow of gas, that would be one massive hole in the tank.   

Whichwaysup - yes that the plan. Was able to get all of the excess gas out of the tank today and will pressure test tomorrow and that should give more of an idea of what the problem might be. Fingers crossed that it isn't the tank and I appreciate everybody's help. Will update tomorrow.

21 hours ago, MuddyBottomBluz said:

Question; do you have a rod holder next to your fill cap? Was your gas tank topped off after all this? A leak that major would have been found in the tank long before you filled up on that particular day.

You would not be the first person to fill up a bilge via a rod holder mistaking it for the gas tank fill.  I wasn't the first either, I know that!:D  

I have a friend that did this TWICE!!! on a 19' bay boat.  Fresh fuel straight to the bilge.  

Just went through this on a Poly tank in my 21 MA.

It was the fill hose and wasn't obvious to the eye.

The hose had rotted on the bottom where it was laying on the tank. When it cracked open it really cracked and I put a lot of gas in the bilge.

The top of the hose looked fine as did the clamps.  Get a portable can and pour in a few gallons and keep your eyes open.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...