Trailer question

fin-addict

Grandson in-law is having a problem with the trailer for his 98 18’ Redfisher Lappy. Trailer in very good condition but the Y guide on with the pvc tubes up front has corroded away where the v starts at the post. Thinking of doing away with the v guide on and putting a bow roller in its place or adding forward bunks. States nothing is supporting the front of the sled except for the rear bunks. Concerned with flexing and stringers while trailing. Also needs to know size and placement of forward bunks if going that route. Any recommendations and suggestions would be appreciated. Photos if possible. Thanks muck fellas. 😀👍🙏️Fin.

C765A999-3B21-4B38-A887-D4B403EA5C53.jpeg

If you put a roller, make it a wide one. While a 6 inch wide roller will support the boat just fine, lining the keel/centerline up with a small roller everytime while loading will be a challenge. Have seen many of keel get scarred from the roller brackets. The centering "V" is very effective and in my opinion is the way to go, the keel has no choice but to fall in the center of it everytime.

55 minutes ago, MuddyBottomBluz said:

If you put a roller, make it a wide one. While a 6 inch wide roller will support the boat just fine, lining the keel/centerline up with a small roller everytime while loading will be a challenge. Have seen many of keel get scarred from the roller brackets. The centering "V" is very effective and in my opinion is the way to go, the keel has no choice but to fall in the center of it everytime.

Thanks, how about a keel roller to support the bow and the v for centering. Trying to help the kid out. 👍

My vote is for the smaller type centering bunks up front if you can do it. I don' know his trailer or how it's set up but if he can do that it's a great option. Some of the trailers I have had only had the two bunks at the rear and it stunk getting it loaded. My last two trailers have had the four bunks, the ones forward for centering and it makes loading so much easier along with the benefit of the added support. With the Peterson trailer I have now my center bunks go the full length, you can be blind drunk with a 50mph crosswind and load with no problem once you hit those centering bunks. 

Ask Dino, he went from an EZ Loader two bunker to an Ameritrail with centering bunks and his MA that has that sharp entry is cradled like a baby.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Coto said:

My vote is for the smaller type centering bunks up front if you can do it. I don' know his trailer or how it's set up but if he can do that it's a great option. Some of the trailers I have had only had the two bunks at the rear and it stunk getting it loaded. My last two trailers have had the four bunks, the ones forward for centering and it makes loading so much easier along with the benefit of the added support. With the Peterson trailer I have now my center bunks go the full length, you can be blind drunk with a 50mph crosswind and load with no problem once you hit those centering bunks. 

Ask Dino, he went from an EZ Loader two bunker to an Ameritrail with centering bunks and his MA that has that sharp entry is cradled like a baby.

This all day.^^^^^

That sharp entry at the wrong angle will peel gel coat.

No V guide and no roller is my policy. You won't see one on a Ameritrail trailer for a reason.

• Like 2

I don't have a lappy but its similar and use a standard venture trailer.

I use centering bunks as mentioned above. Once loaded you want the weight on the 2 main bunks though as the front ones are not really  load bearing.
I can try to take a picture when I pull the boat off the trailer in a little.

Also, properly set up, I can launch my boat without putting the hubs in the water.

• Like 1

I just replaced the V guide on my trailer (pictured a few posts earlier by DonV) with centering bunks.  I ordered the parts from Loadmaster who manufactured my trailer. Much better setup and better on the keel.  I thought it would be a 1 hour job, but I was wrong again.  But the effort was worth it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DonV said:

Yes the post has rotted away. But that lends no support to the bow and that is his concern. He may be overthink thinking this. My trailers have had fwd bunks for additional support but they have been bigger boats.

16 hours ago, Coto said:

Could not agree with you more. 👍👍👍👍

17 hours ago, Coto said:

Can you please post pictures? I have a Peterson trailer with only two bunks that I am struggling to adjust now to load/unload easily. Also a side shot to see the attitude of the boat relative to the trailer, think the bow is too low on the trailer as is, but not sure.

Current setup.

Sorry for the derail.

979315C1-C11F-4305-A7F7-BD91C9F2E2DA.jpeg

3 hours ago, smilemaker said:

you are putting  it on backwards 

spray the front to reduce friction but do not spray the  back as it lifts of trailer when backed in. This will also help keep it on the trailer while backing in. Either way keep the front strap/safety chain on until in the water. 

Absolutely keep the safety chain on. Thought I'd try the spray myself a few years ago, had no idea it was so slick!! First time using it I was backing down the boat as I always do and noticed it was sliding very slowly off the trailer going down the ramp, I kept the same speed down to the water and did NOT touch the brake. As it turned out it all went well, however watching the boat slide slowly off the trailer by itself will give you serious "pucker power" 😬

I like Coto's setup.  My new Continental is similar, with 4 bunks for the best support over a larger surface area, but also a guide roller on the keel up front between the bunks and the bow stop.  The guide roller will save you from hitting the bow stop at the wrong height, if you back the trailer in a little too deep at the ramp.  Learned that the hard way, and paid for some gel-coat repair because of it.  My Ameratrail for my Hewes RF 16 came with only two bunks and no guide roller up front.  I am currently swapping out the factory guide roller on the Continental with a much larger 8" Stoltz V-roller for added support:

Stoltz-RP-85-HR.jpg