Question regarding set-up with livewell AND recirculating pump set-up

MikeH

I have a 2008 21' Maverick Master Angler. I bought it used. The main livewell has both a regular livewell set-up fed by a Rule 800GPH pump. It also has a Tsunami pump set up to operate as a recirculating system. For what reasons do people use the recirculating function? Crabs and shrimp? 

50 minutes ago, MikeH said:

I have a 2008 21' Maverick Master Angler. I bought it used. The main livewell has both a regular livewell set-up fed by a Rule 800GPH pump. It also has a Tsunami pump set up to operate as a recirculating system. For what reasons do people use the recirculating function? Crabs and shrimp? 

Recirculating pump is good in July and August here in South Georgia when the water temps are very high....if you get a couple dozen pogies in a live well while looking for Tarpon or Tripletail, and they get too hot..they will start dying off. I sometimes even throw some ice in the well to refresh them.  I’ve never had a problem with shrimp or mullet. Just menhaden.

• Like 1

I use mine when I go from the coast to deep inside because of the salinity change.

Also I have found that My recirculating system will pull grass and debris to the  suction screen which helps me get ahold of it for disposal keeping my live well cleaner after a straight from the net bait dump.

Also like Capt. Troy says... For shrimp and crabs use a shorter stand pipe.

Yes I agree.  "Just menhaden"  Here we call them Herring which I realize is not really correct. The Hard scale baits we call Pilchards do so much better. Much hardier bait.  

We fill, reseal and freeze water bottles to cool the water in summer. 

• Like 1

On 5/17/2021 at 6:28 PM, smilemaker said:

you must have a stainless steel ziplock bag to prevent them from pocking holes.

ONce you get them on ice, they just go into a state of annimaiton

No digging around a hot live well only to find pink shrimp floating around 

Also, I learned many years ago, as Capt Troy says, you only need a small amount of water.....I used to use a plastic bin, filled with about 2 inches of water and several bubblers and a large fan blowing on it....I could keep shrimp live over nigh without about a 10% yield loss per 24 hours....also, when I used to keep them in a live well, you keep it low, without water changes and keep a clean chum bag in the well so they have something to hang on to...shrimp in too much water die from constant swimming.

dc

I  agree with  minimal water and something  to hold on to 

I  have some fiberglass window  screen that works good.

I  have always been leery about getting them too cold for overnight.

How long will they live in cold water suspended  state.

the port livewell on a 04 2200te is great for shrimp as it has a large surface area

Recirculating are good for keep your catch alive for weigh-ins as stated above.  Also, bags of ice dumped in every once in a while help keep the bait "herring" healthy when carrying from bait shop to lake.  My recirculating systems has an adjustable spout that I can adjust the amount and pressure coming back in to the well. 

• Like 1