imput on possible avenues to go with my old MA17

FooFoo502

Ok, bear with me as this may come out weird. I have a 94 MA17 with the side console and I truly love this boat....on the days I'm not cursing it and wanting to make a reef out of it. It has the original Yamaha 130TLRS that had the power heads rebuilt a few months before I bought it in June of 2005 from the Ships Chandler in Destin and to my knowledge, I am the third owner. Got rid of the trailer when I moved to Sarasota in 2006 since I keep it on my lift in the back when not in use. Don't know the actual motor hours but it's a lot...I'd estimate 800 give or take and although I take care of stuff, I am not one of those type A people who clean it every single use. Probably doesn't help that I've put enough little weird holes in it to make even Wanaflatsfish nervous... but it's been a solid, solid boat. But it needs some work, not ridiculous amounts but enough that I just don't have the time or energy to do everything it needs and still be able to enjoy it. So here's my dilemma.

1. I could sell it as is, to somebody who likes projects and put that money into a newish, larger boat (I'm thinking 21-25 flats or shallow draft bay boat)

2. I could repower with a newish, used motor and maybe recoup a little extra cash to put towards the new boat.

3. I could have it hauled over to the Skiff Shop ( I live on Siesta Key they are willing to come get it) and have it professionally redone from stem to stern to better than new, with updated motor...then sell it or trade it at the higher value towards the new ride

It's a daunting task either way so any insight from you guys would be helpful in deciding. If I end up selling it without trading it, I'd post it here first for awhile and only do the boat trader route if it doesn't get snagged here.

Has the fuel tank been replaced?   If not, that's the first place to start.

I've been restoring the Holy Ghost since March and it's been slow due to amout of time I have to spend at work.

I would be very interesting in hearing what Skiff Shop would change for a restoration without engine...

Bottom line, if you are going to stay in boating, as you said, you have a few options:

1.) stay with what you know and have it upgraded for the basics - new fuel tank, etc. 

2.) full restore -skiff shop -  I would imagine - $20K min without engine.

3.) sell it as a project - and look for something newer - NOW IS A GOOD TIME AS BOATS ARE IN SHORT SUPPLY - but, you have the same dilemma on looking for newer....a new skiff will be $70K plus, good used - $50-60K nicely outfitted.

ping me with your cell on a PM and I'd be happy to discuss further...

dc

Foo, from my understanding on your post is that pretty much no matter which way you go you eventually want to upgrade to a larger bayboat platform correct?

If so and you are sure this is the route you want to take then clean it up and sell it to a new home. After 16 years it has served you well but it appears the times for Foo are-a-changing so invest no more money and time into it and price it right and let a young buck that has time and money get a project Maverick. Then you can move on and spend the time you would have spent working on the old girl on your new ride!

• Like 1

100% w/ Muddy Bottom - 

Whatever you put into that boat, you will likely lose in value on resale.   If the boat is working, solid, and "turn key" but not perfect and really isn't what you want longterm, sell it as is to someone who has the interest, time, and money to make it the way they want it.   You re-power used then sell it, and the buyer wanted a new suzuki, you just lost money.   Let the new owner take the blank canvas and make it their own.    

If you want something different, here is what I'd do:

- Fix every "reasonable" thing required to get the boat turn key - all lights, all pumps, all components.

- Address any "simple" cosmetic issues - wet sand, buff, wax, bleach, polish, etc - make her shine as much as she can.

- Anything that is a major project - motor issues, fiberglass work, re-wiring, etc, inventory and be honest about in your ad.    

At the end of the day, there is a perfect buyer out there for your boat.  Someone who wants a "discounted" useable boat, but one that they can, over time invest in and make their own.   If it isn't your dream boat anymore, then you won't have the vision to make it someone elses.   Let them have that joy - and the expense.   Just be honest (as you have here) about what they are getting.   

Just my .02.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, FooFoo502 said:

Ok, bear with me as this may come out weird. I have a 94 MA17 with the side console and I truly love this boat....on the days I'm not cursing it and wanting to make a reef out of it. It has the original Yamaha 130TLRS that had the power heads rebuilt a few months before I bought it in June of 2005 from the Ships Chandler in Destin and to my knowledge, I am the third owner. Got rid of the trailer when I moved to Sarasota in 2006 since I keep it on my lift in the back when not in use. Don't know the actual motor hours but it's a lot...I'd estimate 800 give or take and although I take care of stuff, I am not one of those type A people who clean it every single use. Probably doesn't help that I've put enough little weird holes in it to make even Wanaflatsfish nervous... but it's been a solid, solid boat. But it needs some work, not ridiculous amounts but enough that I just don't have the time or energy to do everything it needs and still be able to enjoy it. So here's my dilemma.

1. I could sell it as is, to somebody who likes projects and put that money into a newish, larger boat (I'm thinking 21-25 flats or shallow draft bay boat)

2. I could repower with a newish, used motor and maybe recoup a little extra cash to put towards the new boat.

3. I could have it hauled over to the Skiff Shop ( I live on Siesta Key they are willing to come get it) and have it professionally redone from stem to stern to better than new, with updated motor...then sell it or trade it at the higher value towards the new ride

It's a daunting task either way so any insight from you guys would be helpful in deciding. If I end up selling it without trading it, I'd post it here first for awhile and only do the boat trader route if it doesn't get snagged here.

I would take it to the Skiff Shop and then re-power.  Those hulls are wonderful--I think the best boat MBC ever made.  Skiff Shop does amazing work (they did the refurb on my skiff and it looks brand new).  

Just to sound like everyone else here I will throw on my 2 pennies. The only way I would pay for restore would be if I wanted to own a restored 1994 MA.  If that is not your endgame take advantage of the sellers market and let it go down the river so to speak. 

Every option you mention references moving up to different boat. Thus...as others have said...in this market I would not spend a penny on it just to sell or trade. Offer it as is. Thats not a lot of hours on that engine in my opinion and should bring a surprisingly decent amount as it is now. No trailer may hurt on sale. Thats the one thing you may want to look for is a used one to put under her for the prospective buyer. 

Ona. aside note...there is one flat beautiful 2021 21' Redfisher with like 10 hours on it that just popped up for sale on here...🤷‍♂️😆

10 hours ago, triplec said:

Every option you mention references moving up to different boat. Thus...as others have said...in this market I would not spend a penny on it just to sell or trade. Offer it as is. Thats not a lot of hours on that engine in my opinion and should bring a surprisingly decent amount as it is now. No trailer may hurt on sale. Thats the one thing you may want to look for is a used one to put under her for the prospective buyer. 

Ona. aside note...there is one flat beautiful 2021 21' Redfisher with like 10 hours on it that just popped up for sale on here...🤷‍♂️😆

Triplec makes a good point - I'd agree.   Buying a trailer is probably going to be a break even proposition and help you sell the boat.  

On 5/21/2021 at 5:25 AM, whichwaysup said:

Triplec makes a good point - I'd agree.   Buying a trailer is probably going to be a break even proposition and help you sell the boat.  

My $.02...not sure....if you want to get a "used" one to just have the owner drive it home or wet test or get it at the ramp....might be an option...but, you don't know what the next owner might want...

I bought my MA17 with an original 1995 trailer...put a new axel- used it two years...then bought an Ameratrail for $4.5K....so, if you can find one for $500-700 an ezloader...you would break even....if not, I'd say you are looking to get something new...they are $3K plus for something decent.