Running Livewell Overnight

JFro

Thanks!

Just didn’t want the charger to have some “safety” feature on it that wouldn’t allow charging and pulling voltage at the same time. 
then I show up, bait is good but boat won’t crank 🤷🏻‍♂️

An ideal setup would be a bubbler system with a timer on the livewell  pump. That way the pump could be set to come on for a short period of time to turn over the water but reduce the chance of filling the boat.

Depending on the bait the bubbler alone may be enough. 

since you are plugging the  battery  charger in  I assume you have shore power. Just get some aquarium 110 pump and plug it in.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2021 at 7:16 AM, JFro said:

If I stock up my live well, can I plug my battery charger in, at the dock, overnight and leave the live well running to keep bait alive?

Like Bamaskeet I have run my bait well pump all night with dock side power plugged into my Stealth battery charger with no problems and good success. I leave the baitwell lid open an inch so if it were to overflow the water would "self bail" from the deck or splash well. I just turn the latch to lock position and close the lid, leaves the lid slightly open like I want. 

If you are really worried, get a spare battery, fully charge it and build a "FUSED" cord to go from the spare battery to the bait well Pump plug. (I used an old extension cord to do this on my old boat) On my 22 TRS the bail well pump Deutsch Connector Plug is easy to get to. You can set the spare battery on the dock or on the deck of the boat, which ever you are comfortable with.

You could even get a 120 volt ac  to 12  volt dc transformer and do the same thing.

Some of this is assuming you have a MBG boat in good condition.

All that being said....Most guys use bait pins but if you do not have access to one then...

• Like 1

First don’t overstock the well. What type of bait and type of water, salt or brackish and water temp. Have had both good and bad results. If shrimp, I used a cooler with a fish tank air system and keep it in the house the day before going out so I can get an early start. 5 doz. hand picked size. Many who travel to the Bahamas by plane use a cooler with layers of newspaper with shrimp in between and the paper being wet. Very effective. Have done that on key trips knowing shops would still be closed at time of arrival. Fin

I would not run my live-well overnight. I sunk a boat at the dock years ago, doing the same thing. Some bait died and clogged the over flow, boat filled with water and sank. The problem with leaving the live-well lid loose is that; if bait dies and get pushed out of the top of the live well, they will clog up the floor drains. 

The only bait I keep overnight is Pinfish. I made a bait pen out of a round, plastic laundry tub. Drilled a hundred hole in it and added a Plexi-glass lid with hinges.  

• Like 2

Collapsible bait pen wont take up truck space.  We use them all the time for white bait.  My baits stay very fresh overnight as long as water flow around the dock is decent.

Like others have said... I wouldn't run a well unattended all night unless you REALLY TRUST your setup.    

• Like 1

Thanks for all the great feedback. 
the boat is a 2021 2600TRS, so I’m confident in the system, but based on the feedback and leaning towards playing it safe, I plan to pick up a collapsible bait pen. 

On a side note, i reached out to the charger company and got this response:

Make sure the battery that's powering up the livewell if connected by the charger's bank #1 (the output that's right next to the AC power cord).  Bank #1 can sense the draw on that battery and push charging to keep up with the draw.

278AC3C6-2401-477A-99C6-9BAD77B7BF10.jpeg

ok, probably 10 years ago, left mine running on a timer overnight with only a 4" standpipe w/strainer. Conflation of cluster-flocks followed. Just enough eel grass mixed in with the shrimp to clog the strainer...live well filled up and overflowed into the bilge. For some reason, the timer took a dump so the live well pump kept pumping and even with a float switch, the bilge pump couldn't keep up. My buddy across the canal called me at 6am saying my boat was underwater...about crapped myself. Luckily for me, this all happened at an extreme low tide so only the starboard side stern was submerged just barely above the cap. The lines to the front of the boat held her at an upward angle so no water got beyond the starboard helm hold area. Together, he and I were able to drag the boat onto my lift, and with an extra battery (water had shorted starter battery), got the bilge running and pumped it all out. Immediately flushed the entire bilge out with fresh water, salt-awayed everything, then filled the bilge up with fresh water again and drained it then let it sit with the plug out and the hatches open for about a week. The old workhorse 139 Saltwater started right up too...so long story short...I simply got lucky as hell. I did have to rewire everything within that first year as gremlins and shorts began to happen often enough that it could only have been from the dunking. So to me, just isn't worth the chance when there are so many viable and relatively cheap options. Case in point, my floating bait well that hangs off the front of my dock now...I'm on a canal off the ICW so get plenty of water flow to keep them frisky and I don't keep them in there longer than a day or two to keep the crab burglars at bay

Get a collapsible one with soft sides, netting, kinda what Lapitup was talking about. You get a hard sided plastic container they will beat themselves up. Make sure it is big enough to allow them to swim freely.

Mine keeps them alive and well only to have some scumbags come by in the middle of the night and steal my bait!!!

• Like 2

On 6/2/2021 at 8:09 PM, MuddyBottomBluz said:

only to have some scumbags come by in the middle of the night and steal my bait!!!

I hear ya.  Had this happen the night before a tournament on LGI.  You wouldn't think your bait would get stolen on a barrier island you can only access by boat!  😞