Mirage push pole holder

Flychukar

I have a 1996 Mirage and am looking for some ideas on how to correct a issue with the middle pop up push pole holder. There are two recessed holders. One at the front and one in the middle. The rear holder is a fixed surface mount holder. I believe the middle one was a retrofit after leaving the factory. Anyway the recessed holder in the middle tends to get water in it after a day of fishing. There is a small drain line running from the holder pocket into the cockpit but it sits a bit high and some water never runs out. I have the pocket completely sealed with 5200 but I'm sure there is some water intrusion into the foam around the hose. I was thinking of removing the flush mount middle holder and fabricating a base plate to attach a fixed holder like seen in the picture.

I was wondering if anybody has any other ideas. I am open to anything even replacing all three holders as long as is looks right. Thank you.

1455741897-thumb_IMG_2814_1024.jpg.84d93

1455742218-thumb_IMG_1186_1024.jpg.d98ee

1455742248-thumb_IMG_2813_1024.jpg.193a8

1455742266-thumb_IMG_2810_1024.jpg.c2bcb

1455742953-thumb_IMG_1174_1024.jpg.286e5

I agree with your strategy. You really only need a flush mount PP holder in the bow (for fly fishing) so would not lose much functionality with the surface mount PP holder midships. You could use a small anodized aluminum plate or a stainless plate to cover the recessed area and keep the PP holder close to the deck.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

I would recommend filling in the opening with foam and gl*** it in. Then its just patching up with non skid.

Then purchase the V Marine Push pole holders. Worth every penny and when you want you can remove them leaving only the small base plate. even when I have a client fly fishing I use the holders for transport and once I grab the pole, I store the holders in my 3 rod bank. I will never look elsewhere for push pole holders

I know the first gen V Marine clips were hard on poles if not clocked perfectly and the new "spool design" clips are probably better. But something to think about before using metal clips, this is from the Stiffy website...

"Our limited warranty cover's manufacture defects, not Push Pole breakage due to wear, use or metal clips."

My Carbon Marine pole broke in the clips, right at the center clip while coming back in one day. The first question from Carbon Marine was, "do you use metal clips?" I use plastic Stiffy clips so we didn't get into it so I'm not going to speculate on their stance but it was the first question out of the guy's mouth.

I had to buy a new pole a couple weeks ago and I went with a local South Florida company. While we were talking about caring for poles, durability, etc... he stated, "as long as your not using metal clips you'll be fine". Again I didn't get into an in depth conversation about it but that's three of the four (that I know of anyway) push pole manufacturers recommending against metal clips. The largest, Stiffy, saying they won't warranty their pole if you use metal clips.

Im not saying these guys are right or V Marine clips are bad, just sharing my experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Flychukar...agreed. You would need to spray and mark new non-skid. Just a thought. Let us know what you end up doing.

JasonP...you are absolutely correct. I do have the Spool version. I purchased the polished aluminum spools when my boat was being built. After buying a new Stiffy 21' Guide I changed to their black plastic spools. Not as nice but I maintain warranty!

• 2 weeks later...

Update. CaptDavis was very generous and sent me a extra push pole shim he had. It turned out to be one of the newer ones and did not match the original plexigl*** one I had on the boat. I thought I could just change the one on the boat to the newer style and then add one to the other push pole holder but the original shim had been set in 5200. So, I decided to fabricate a plexigl*** shim. Turned out to be pretty easy. Sized it on the chop saw and then beveled it on the table saw. Sanded and  buffed the edges. Final product is a perfect match.

boat spacer 3.jpg

boat spacer.jpg

Archived