UPDATE: AUGUST 15TH - INSTALLED AND WORKING.....XM / Sirus Weather - how many have it

Wanaflatsfish

I have Sirus XM Weather, not the Radio, I like peace and quiet when on the boat. I use it to help circumvent the storms and alert me to lighting and such thru the Lowrance. We use it often to move around in WWB and find clear spots to move to and keep fishing. As you know in ENP when you are tight to the coast the storms can sneak up on you from the east and the last thing you want to do is run west out into the gulf to avoid them. The WM-3 receiver was $700.00 dollars but worth it to me. I think there is a new WM-4 receiver that is less expensive but I have not done any research on it so do not know.     

• Like 1

Had a subscription for a year and thought it was expensive for what I got. Our home waters are a little different from what you are talking about. Inshore we have only the ICW and the back country all with good cell service. Switched to the My Radar app on my iPhone and tablet. It shows real-time data and is perfect for my application. It has saved my butt a couple of times 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jh141 said:

I have Sirus XM Weather, not the Radio, I like peace and quiet when on the boat. I use it to help circumvent the storms and alert me to lighting and such thru the Lowrance. We use it often to move around in WWB and find clear spots to move to and keep fishing. As you know in ENP when you are tight to the coast the storms can sneak up on you from the east and the last thing you want to do is run west out into the gulf to avoid them. The WM-3 receiver was $700.00 dollars but worth it to me. I think there is a new WM-4 receiver that is less expensive but I have not done any research on it so do not know.     

new one is now $449 plus or minus...seem like it could be useful as you stated.....

interest in many other opinions as well....

Headhunter....yes, cell phone service is gone about 10 min into running around ENP.....heck, you can't even get good cell in Chokoloskee or Everglades City :)

dc

I have been a Sirius weather subscriber for a long time.  Fishing around the bay, it’s not that helpful because you I can get radar weather on my cell phone.

Fishing offshore in the summer is where Sirius weather really shines.  Very often we have water spouts and thunderstorms around us.  It’s nice to know when to stay and when to run!  Sometimes we run into afternoon thunderstorms on the way in.  It’s nice to pick through them getting home, without getting your brains beat out.

If you have a subscription for your car, you get a substantial discount for weather and I put my subscription on hold during the winter and start it back up in the spring.

12 hours ago, lobbys said:

DC , We've had it for years. well worth it if your 20 plus offshore. Good to see your still on here! 

Have you been down this way yellow tailing lately?

Lobbys

Haven't been tailing in years...my buddy sold the big boat about 3 years ago and I sold the Pathy over 10 years ago....how time flies.

dc

• 1 month later...

Update: 

Got it installed and finally figured out how to see it over the FMT map.

1.) You need to have the SIRUS  on and then choose OVERYLAYS (on Lowrance systems)

2.) Then adjust what features you want to see and how you want to see them

Very simple install....plug and play.....the weather module has the antenna feed and then you run the connection to the Lowrance.   Simple connection to the power...I have mine just power up when the switch comes on  to power up the skiff.

Took about 1 hr to install.

simple puck....I fit the connection through my original connection with the power and sonar connections...just fit

IMG_1309.thumb.jpg.ba1459002e1982b4a6f67f792943d1f1.jpg

Just installed it on the inside of the console wall below the various switches...

IMG_1310.thumb.jpg.d86e7a6439664f3f78b5f55d3da49aab.jpg

thanks everyone for the help and comments....

For me, worth the few $$  a month to run it if it saves one trip in 10.

dc

• Like 1

• Wanaflatsfish changed the title to UPDATE: AUGUST 15TH - INSTALLED AND WORKING.....XM / Sirus Weather - how many have it