Livewell drain

MainLineFLa

I have a 1996 16'Hewes Bayfisher with a Yamaha 85 two stroke. I recently started a project to add a raw water supply to the existing livewell. On the supply side I installed a 3/4" scoop intake through the hull, seacock valve, strainer and 600 GPH pump. The drain is the question. Most of my research has recommended two times the size of the intake for the drain. Will a 2" drain at the top of the livewell, and exiting the boat above the waterline, allow for the livewell not to overflow with the boat moving at 25-30 mph?

I did same as you, but added the overflow though back of well into splash well and water ran out of the scuppers. It's how the newer redfishers at the time were done so figured it would work for me. 1.5" if I remember. I did upgrade my bilge access to a bigger TH one with gasket to keep water out.Thats a must do anyways since the small little pie hole was horrible to work through.

It worked well

Yes, the 2" drain will work, but is not necessary. Theoretically, the surface area of a drain pipe should be 3 times the area of the inlet.

The area of the 3/4" inlet is .443 and the area of the 2" drain is 3.14. Plenty big.

Three times the area of a 3/4 inlet is 1.329, so a 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" drain is sufficient.

Archived