Trolling Motor Prop

Chief5130

I had a kipawa prop on a freshwater boat, with tiller handle MK.  I didn’t not get good results.  Advertised as more speed, it was actually slower (measured by gps). When I used reverse it vibrated like crazy.  The company sent me a new prop and it didn’t vibrate as much in reverse but still vibrated.  I ended up putting the factory MK prop back on.  This was my experience with them

12 hours ago, craSSh said:

I had a kipawa prop on a freshwater boat, with tiller handle MK.  I didn’t not get good results.  Advertised as more speed, it was actually slower (measured by gps). When I used reverse it vibrated like crazy.  The company sent me a new prop and it didn’t vibrate as much in reverse but still vibrated.  I ended up putting the factory MK prop back on.  This was my experience with them

craSSh - If you don't mind me asking, was this recently or years ago? The reason I ask is because if you experienced these issues, and I have no doubt you did, I would assume everyone else did as well and maybe they have improved the design since your experience? Thanks.

20 minutes ago, Redrum said:

I have Motorguide with machete prop.  I find it to be quieter than factory standard.  Boat moves faster at same speed setting vs 2 blade prop.  Much improved prop.

I will second the Machete Prop for the Motor Guide. whisper quite and very durable. I also have the aluminum version, it is not as quiet and vibrates a little more.

On 7/15/2021 at 10:04 AM, Chief5130 said:

After ten years of use and a recent encounter with an unexpected underwater object, I want / need to get a new one.  Is there an after market prop that you have used that is better than OEM or just get one from Minn Kota?

TIA

The Kipawa is really the only other option for Minn Kota.  Same problem with my Rhodan. Only one prop available. 

9 hours ago, polliwog said:

This a great thread. I have 2 MKs a 70 and a 55.  I would like to try the kipawa on my 55 ,if you all think it will get some more speed, use it a lot on the back country,so a little more output would be great. I have the 55 troller on my mini 15ft HPX.

Weather permitting I am going to try it tomorrow for the first time.  Everything I see online says it is going to be a little faster.  I never checked the speed with the old prop, so my opinion will be somewhat subjective.

I will say that the Kipawa prop doesn’t perform well on a trolling motor with a true reverse setting.  I had one on my old tiller handle 74lb Minn Kota.  It was great in the traditional “forward” settings. I imagine it’s not really designed to use in a reverse spin. That’s not an issue on the new trolling motors that just spin around the opposite was to obtain a “reverse” direction of movement.  The first time I tested the Kipawa on my current TM, I ran against the current during the middle of an 8ft tide swing and I was moving 2.3 mph as indicated on my GPS. That’s a lot of work for that motor to push a 19ft boat with 2 grown men, full fuel, and fishing gear in a fast current like that. 

17 hours ago, Chief5130 said:

Got out today for the first time with the new prop.  I am not too interested in top speed, but I do think the speed required to work a shore line is better.

Normally 3 to 3.5, now 2 to 2.5.

The only reason why I even measured the top speed with the new prop was to see how much better performance the Kipawa gave the trolling motor.  

On 7/21/2021 at 4:11 PM, Chief5130 said:

Got out today for the first time with the new prop.  I am not too interested in top speed, but I do think the speed required to work a shore line is better.

Normally 3 to 3.5, now 2 to 2.5.

That is very similar to the results I experienced, seemed the low to mid speeds were better with the Kipawa. Did not measure, but high speeds seemed about the same. Since I use low to mid settings the most it was a win.

• Thanks 1