Pathfinder Re-Wiring?

Slo Poke1

I took my 2003 2200V in for some work and the mechanic is recommending that I have the boat re-wired.  He's saying that marine wiring has a life expectancy of 10-12 years and that it is rotting from the inside of the insulation.

I'm already not happy with his work and now he drops this bomb on me.  He doesn't do free estimates, but does anyone know what this would cost and if he's full of it? 

If I need to re-wire, any recommendations in Clearwater Fl area?

Are you having electrical issues or is this his recommendation based off his "experience"?  a full re-wire is very expensive if it is indeed needed.  

FYI... I had a 1998 RF 18 for years.  It had an all original boat harness.  I never had an issue with the actual wiring.  It is normally switches, connections, fuse panels, breakers etc that go bad or corrode.  Normally wiring can be stripped back and new connections and terminals added. 

A lot of "mechanics" hate boat harnesses because they are bulky and ugly, but wire is wire (as long as its quality tinned) so if you take your time and clean it up and modernize the switches and connections you should be ok.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Slo Poke1 said:

I took my 2003 2200V in for some work and the mechanic is recommending that I have the boat re-wired.  He's saying that marine wiring has a life expectancy of 10-12 years and that it is rotting from the inside of the insulation.

I'm already not happy with his work and now he drops this bomb on me.  He doesn't do free estimates, but does anyone know what this would cost and if he's full of it? 

If I need to re-wire, any recommendations in Clearwater Fl area?

So if you are not happy with his work I would not let him do anything else. He could be an awesome mechanic but Neither of you will be happy at the end. Especially when doing wiring. There does come a time in a boats life when a re wire may be necessary. When the wire insulation gets hard and starts cracking, or when you are replacing a connector and can not cut back far enough to find clean wire. It really comes back to the quality of the wire that was used and how the boat was cared for as to how long it might last. I second Boatronics on your side of the state. Get another opinion for sure, especially if you are NOT having power problems.

Slo...I say poo poo. My MA is a 96 and mostly OEM wiring and fine. I re-do things as they need such as when trim tabs went out I ran new wire and put in new switches etc. I have had to re-do the engine cables due to some corrosion and not enough slack to cut and repair but even those lasted 24 years. I am helping a buddy with a gremlin in his switch panel wiring but I think total re-wires at 10-12 years as a rule would not be accurate. With that said OEM wiring is disappointing. Nothing is tinned marine grade wire and usually barely at the needed amp rating to carry the stated load I have discovered on our boats so that alone contributes to shorter life span.

16 hours ago, triplec said:

Slo...I say poo poo. My MA is a 96 and mostly OEM wiring and fine. I re-do things as they need such as when trim tabs went out I ran new wire and put in new switches etc. I have had to re-do the engine cables due to some corrosion and not enough slack to cut and repair but even those lasted 24 years. I am helping a buddy with a gremlin in his switch panel wiring but I think total re-wires at 10-12 years as a rule would not be accurate. With that said OEM wiring is disappointing. Nothing is tinned marine grade wire and usually barely at the needed amp rating to carry the stated load I have discovered on our boats so that alone contributes to shorter life span.

Yep...my MA17 of 27 still had lots of life in the wiring...I just decided to completely change the console, etc.

POOOOO POOO and double POOO on 10-12 years....and ?????? Charges for estimates....run @ WOT away !!! 

Lots of recommendations around the forum for rewire services.....but, you are looking at about $100 -!25 / foot for re-wire....the price of wire has nearly doubled in the last year....depending on the extent, it will be more....there is a good video on youtube by Born Again Boating on rewire costs....if you add in new switches, etc. it goes up by $700-1000 really quickly......

I just finished mine and it's not fun work.....

DC

• Like 1