Master Angler 17 outboard control cable replacement

OhoopeeMAV17

21 year owner of a 96 Master Angler 17 here.  2006 Etec Outboard.  My shifter control has always been fairly firm, but it is now about impossible.  Shifting into forward and reverse has gotten VERY difficult as of late.  I unhooked the cables at the control on the console and the control works smooth and fine.  I hooked up the two control cables individually and BOTH were hard to move.  Very hard.  I "you tubed" the problem and even went so far as to  hook the cables to the air compressor and force oil through them.  Both had some nasty water come out before the oil did.   That made no difference in the shift stiffness.  I think I am at the point of needing to change my control cables.

My question is this:

Is there a specific brand and length cable that you would advise using for the Master Angler 17? A local guy rigged the motor initially and I always questioned the stiffness of the shifting even when new.  I am not sure he used the correct length to begin with.

Secondly:

Do you folks have a preference on an aftermarket shift/throttle control box?  I always liked the simple looks of the old Seastar controls and currently have no desire to fork out the cash for Lavorsi controls.  Just curious.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.  Long, long time lurker on the site.  Die hard MA 17 fan here.

Many thanks,  Jim

5 hours ago, OhoopeeMAV17 said:

21 year owner of a 96 Master Angler 17 here.  2006 Etec Outboard.  My shifter control has always been fairly firm, but it is now about impossible.  Shifting into forward and reverse has gotten VERY difficult as of late.  I unhooked the cables at the control on the console and the control works smooth and fine.  I hooked up the two control cables individually and BOTH were hard to move.  Very hard.  I "you tubed" the problem and even went so far as to  hook the cables to the air compressor and force oil through them.  Both had some nasty water come out before the oil did.   That made no difference in the shift stiffness.  I think I am at the point of needing to change my control cables.

My question is this:

Is there a specific brand and length cable that you would advise using for the Master Angler 17? A local guy rigged the motor initially and I always questioned the stiffness of the shifting even when new.  I am not sure he used the correct length to begin with.

Secondly:

Do you folks have a preference on an aftermarket shift/throttle control box?  I always liked the simple looks of the old Seastar controls and currently have no desire to fork out the cash for Lavorsi controls.  Just curious.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.  Long, long time lurker on the site.  Die hard MA 17 fan here.

Many thanks,  Jim

I'm not familiar with Etec binnacles....but, on the Yamaha there is a screw which sets the tension...check here first....but, if you have water in the throttle lines, that's not good...you could have excessive corrosion..

please post some pics....you could also have a kink in the line?  

dc

1 hour ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

there is a screw which sets the tension.

Dino is correct, the E-tec binnacle has a rubber cover on the front, facing the driver that has a tension screw under it, if you have the E-tec binnacle. They are very nice binnacles by the way, I don't know what you currently have but water should not be getting in your cables.

Where are you located? My brother-in-law is a Mobile Master Mechanic for E-tec outboards and has factory OEM cables in stock at very reasonable pricing. Look at the cables currently on the boat, they should, or are typically stamped with part numbers and lengths, just order the next available length if your concern is the current ones are to short. 

Keep us posted.

14 hours ago, MuddyBottomBluz said:

Dino is correct, the E-tec binnacle has a rubber cover on the front, facing the driver that has a tension screw under it, if you have the E-tec binnacle. They are very nice binnacles by the way, I don't know what you currently have but water should not be getting in your cables.

Where are you located? My brother-in-law is a Mobile Master Mechanic for E-tec outboards and has factory OEM cables in stock at very reasonable pricing. Look at the cables currently on the boat, they should, or are typically stamped with part numbers and lengths, just order the next available length if your concern is the current ones are to short. 

Keep us posted.

great info !!!

dc