It doesn't hurt to ask

Hobo

I fully realize that  its a long shot,,,,  but it doesn't hurt nor cost anything to ask....  

I am in the market for a late model (or new) Yamaha 200 SHO, 25" shaft with low or no hours on it...  This will be to replace the 2005 Yamaha 200 HPDI currently on my 2005 TE 22' Pathfinder...    There is absolutely nothing wrong with this engine that has only 352 total hours...  This engine  preforms flawlessly pushing my boat right at 50 mph at wot....  The only reason I am looking to upgrade is because of the engine's age and my desire for the quieter four-stroke and the latest state-of-the-art-technology...  Right now I'm pushing 77 years old and even though I'm not planning on kicking off any time soon I just don't want the aggravation of having to do a swap-out several years from now...  I had a Yamaha F150 on my previous Pathfinder which totally spoiled me with it's quietness and economical operation...  I considered opting for yet another of the F150's but my current Pathfinder has a T-Top and I figure that additional drag would slow my performance down to the low to mid-forties...  

Currently finding any dealer with any new Yamaha engines for sale is just about impossible,,,,  but I thought I would still give it a try... 

I've been told by a couple of my previous sponsoring dealers that currently all new engines that Yamaha is building are going to the various boat manufactures and they can't even meet that demand...

Any tips will be appreciated...

---------------<" ){{{{><

• Like 1

Hobo,

Being the proud owner of a 2012 TRS 22' with a SHO 200 I can only say consider the 250 over the 200. The 200 is kind of a slug mid range and top end. I had an endless struggle to prop my boat correctly and never got good square numbers. Now with a 250 (ECU) I truly get much better fuel mileage, plus all the perks of having more power even if you do not ever use it. My RPM and Speed are perfectly square thru the entire range with the 250. I have two completely different props that give me great results that I could never get with the 200. What a difference the +50 makes. 

Good luck with your search.

Just Thought I would share.

Having owned both a VZ200 and own a VF250, I will say both are great motors and hardly any difference in sound.  The big block SHO is a very loud and throaty 4 stroke though.  Wayyyy louder than the standard grey 4 stroke.  If you can find a VF250, get it.  Only difference between it and the VF200 or VF225 is the computer program.  The 250 is a mighty strong motor.

A special thanks for all the responses and kind words so far.... 

jh141, thank you for the insight from your personal experience with both the 200 as well as the 250 SHO's...  I've had a couple of the older model F250's on both 22' and 24' Pathfinders with nothing but good experiences...  I am especially disappointed to hear about the noise level of the 200 SHO....  Lately I've been fishing several times with a buddy using his 24' Century powered by a late model Yamaha F-300 four-stroke and I have had to remind him several times to turn the engine off after we had stopped at a fishing location,,,, it is that quite....  I was hoping all the newer Yamaha four-strokes were also that quiet... 

triplec, Is this Karl you referred me to a dealer in St Pete???  If so what is the name of this dealership...  This distance doesn't bother me at all...  I bought my present Pathfinder from Naples last year...

Hopefully, Yamaha production can catch up with the economy and demand before much longer and some form of normalcy will return within the marine industry...  Just this last week I had a doctor acquaintance of mine seriously offer me within 2K of double what I paid for it last July...  This market is unreal!

--------------<" ){{{{><

My 200 sho on my 2200TRS was my first large four stroke. It was very peppy and ran about 53mph before the flash.  This SHO felt as strong as any two stroke I ever owned. All in all if you find a good 200HP sho I do not think it would disappoint you in any way. 

14 hours ago, Hobo said:

Hopefully, Yamaha production can catch up with the economy and demand before much longer and some form of normalcy will return within the marine industry...  Just this last week I had a doctor acquaintance of mine seriously offer me within 2K of double what I paid for it last July...  This market is unreal!

I run a global juice and ingredients  supply chain and I can tell you it's absolutely NUTS......container rates from the far east have gone from $2500 to $15K if you can get one to load on-time.

one of my friends is looking to build a skiff and he's had to wait over 1 year to just get in the molds due to lack of availability of an engine from Yamaha.

good luck in finding your unicorn....

dc

On 7/29/2021 at 1:11 PM, Hobo said:

A special thanks for all the responses and kind words so far....

triplec, Is this Karl you referred me to a dealer in St Pete???  If so what is the name of this dealership...  This distance doesn't bother me at all...  I bought my present Pathfinder from Naples last year...

--------------<" ){{{{><

It is. Central Marine.