Wood for bunks

whichwaysup

Finally hoping to add a pair of bow guid bunks to my trailer.   These will be fairly long and will bend a bit to accomodate the bow shape. 

Question, should I use pressure treated 2x4s or non pressure treated.   I know the PT wood plays hell with metal items when in contact with saltwater.    Its also a heck of a lot heavier/stiffer than the regular wood.

WHICHWAYSUP,,,

I also recommend cypress  if you can find it...

Assuming you will be cushioning these guide bunks with some sort of carpet there certainly isn't anything wrong with using the pressure treated lumber as a close second choice to using the cypress...   I have gone both ways many times with great results either way...

If you decide to go with the pressure treated lumber,  I would however recommend considering using the 5/4" treated decking lumber instead of the 2" stuff...  This special decking is always top grade #1 lumber with very few (or any) knots or other defects....  These boards also come with the edges already rounded in case you don't have a router...

One more thing,,,,,  I strongly recommend using monel staples when applying the cushioning carpet,,,,  especially around salt water...   

There is also another option you might want to consider...  It will cost a little more however it will last longer and make launching and retrieving your boat much easier...  This option is lining your wooden bunks with StarBoard strips...  I have always used 1/2" thick white StarBoard cut to the same width of the bunks and applied to the wooden bunk tops using stainless steel either flat-head or oval-head wood screws...  Just be sure you countersink the mounting holes so that you will have at least 1/8" clearance between the top of the StarBoard and the top of the screw... This Starboard material is almost as slick as Teflon and makes winching a boat up on a trailer totally effortless...  The only drawback I can think of using this method is that it is so slick that you need to make sure when launching your boat not to release the winch lever until the trailer is already in the water,,,  and then when retrieving the vessel  make sure the winch is attached to the boat and locked in position before pulling the vehicle and trailer out of the water,,,,, especially if it is a relatively steeply angled ramp...  They will slide off the trailer!!

• Like 4

wthree3,,,

I concur 100% with you statement, "Use monel staples, not stainless."

I don't know what I was thinking,,, of course monel is the better choice especially for use around salt water because of the high nickel content...   went back and edited my post..  Monel is all I have or use in my shop...    I wish they made a pill especially for brain-farts...  I need to take a couple!!

• Like 3

Thanks all!   Good news is that I have the monel staples, carpet, and brackets, but have been missigg the boards for 6 months, trying to figure put what to use.    I cant find cypress anywhere, but like Hobos idea of the 5/4 PT deck boards, they would flex better and be easier to deal with.   

One dumb question.  I have 2 long 2x4, non pressure treated.   Since this is saltwater, would those really be a bad idea?   If I am not mistaken, a lot of the new PT wood is just saltwater infused . . . or am I completely wrong here??

Cypress sized for bunks is hard to find for sure. I have replaced mine a few times on various trailers but suggest using dock lumber not your home center PT. The PT approved for docks is much much heartier than home center lumber. I am on the coast so there are several but I would think you could google up couple locations. They will have non dimensional and larger sizes usually as well that closer match your OEM.