John @ Maximum Outboard - Pompano - A True Find For US In So Florida

Wanaflatsfish

My 1995 115V Yamadog was over-heating at 5,000 rpms.

I had installed a new impeller, two new thermostats and the pressure relief valve....

still overheating...

Given the age of the engine, 27 years, I spoke with John and he said most likely it was going to be the water jackets were clogged.

Rather than do this myself, I decided for a few hours of professional time, I'd take it to John.

On Wednesday I got the call....John started by saying, I have some bad news.....I thought, here it comes...

He said, the jackets were clean....some slight corrosion build, but, nothing that would result in overheating......so, good and bad news he said...

I said, so, what next?  He asked when I installed the pressure valve if I installed the new type of mushroom head...I said, "No, I replaced the old one as it looked fine, but, changed the gasket and spring...he said, the new one could be one of the problems.....

I asked him, "what else", the only other item he said that could be going is the sensors....so, I said, let's just replace them....one on each head, and I brought him over the mushroom poppet valve.

when I picked up the skiff, I asked him about how the pistons looked ?   He said, "the pistons still had the "score" lines which is the sign of an engine with very low hours, he said, after what we have done, the power head cooling system  is practically  brand new (they sandblasted the jackets, installed new gaskets, etc).

Ran the skiff today, 5500 rpms, WOT, 38,7 mph and no overheating.....

It's rare that you find a professional and HONEST mechanic these days...

John is one of these people...we are lucky here in so florida to have him.

She's ready for FALL fishing....new plugs and fuel filters (on engine/and off), fuel lines, etc......

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1