Submersible fishing lights

DavidG

I have yet another stupid question. As the heat here only allows very early fishing, I’m considering night fishing. I’ve read about the submersible fishing lights that supposedly attract plankton which then draws other fish. Has anyone used one and noticed a increase in fish caught?  Or is this just another gimmick! Any input is appreciated….David

Umm, if u are in florida, simply launch your boat after dark and hit the canals.  Many docks have them dowm there and it gets stupid.   I mean, sally-bar-the-door kind of stupid.   However, putting your owm temp light out may have mixed results, as it may take time for fosh to show up.    

Oddly, very few people do this up here in Southeastern NC, and the few I have found are pretty vacant of any fish.   Funny how that is??

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, whichwaysup said:

Umm, if u are in florida, simply launch your boat after dark and hit the canals.  Many docks have them dowm there and it gets stupid.   I mean, sally-bar-the-door kind of stupid.   However, putting your owm temp light out may have mixed results, as it may take time for fosh to show up.    

Oddly, very few people do this up here in Southeastern NC, and the few I have found are pretty vacant of any fish.   Funny how that is??

I’m up here in north Florida where there isn’t a whole lot of canals. There are a few marinas and docks some lighted, a lot of them not. I’ve just got back from buying one and I’ll let members know how it works out. When the heat index hits the triple digits, it’s to hot for me.

In my canals there are a few lights where mojo snook are stacked like cordwood, others nothing and using same lights anchored on the bottom. I had one that was suspended off the bottom for a few years. Nothing but mullets we’re attracted. Green light hanging from boat at night does attract bait fish in turn the big boys. Hit or miss.

there are small bobber types that attach to your line that bring in baits in turn what your looking for. Many of these are used for deep dropping for saw fish at night with great success. 

good luck, 😀👍️Fin.

• Like 2

Hey Fin,

Lots of docks up here in the upstate do this on Hartwell.  My buddy does it for me when I have a night tourney.  Not once in three years have I caught anything from under his dock while the light was on and it was on for 4-5 hours prior to me getting there.  Now with that said I did see swarms of bait swimming in circles....just never caught anything.  Me personaly I think there is some truth to it attracting bait.  Whether the fish follow is another thing I have yet to see....

Best to you....

• Like 1

As a boy my grandparents lived on Lake Murray

We would fish from the dock at night for crappie with cane poles. Always was puzzled why those fish swimming in circles would not bite. Later in life I learned they were shad. In todays world a well thrown cast net would have some great bait.

Some of the bigger fish were always on the pole in the morning after the lights were cut off and gone to bed

On a similar  note when I shrimp at night it is with the lights off

• Like 2

I’m always Honest when I say that 90% of my fishing “ History “ even as a young kid in Living in Key West ( my Dad was Navy ) I’ve fished offshore. I used to work a Head boat at 9-10 years old during the summer untangling lines, handing outbait to tourists etc… after moving to Jax, I’ve owned several boats and headed offshore before the sun hit the horizon. After selling my last boat 15 years ago, I swore I’d never buy another boat. Then I saw the Hewes 18ft Redfisher! What I’ve learned since then is there’s a difference in offshore fishing and inshore fishing! And I’ve got a lot to learn! FWC doesn’t even “ inspect” my boat anymore as they know there’s no fish on THAT boat lol. I appreciate all of you as I read all the threads here and learn . Again, thanks to all of you!……..David

• Like 1