Light tongue weight

Blue98RF19

As stated in the title my tongue weight is very light. I can lift the tongue with one hand and it’s super noisy on the ball every time I hit a bump. It’s sitting on a magic trail aluminum trailer. The winch is as far forward as it can go so I guess my next option would be to move back the axle. It’s drilled not U bolted on. My question is how far back do I move the axle? Any insight is helpful TIA! 

I took my sled , fully loaded , to a truck scale and got my total weight .

Then used a bathroom scale , on the trailer jack to get tongue weight . Then  , I moved the axel back , putting the fwd hole on the bracket to the back hole , on the trailer , and reweighed .

I was right at the 10% number .

Worked for me 

Maybe for you .

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blue98RF19 said:

F8EDF2E3-1ED1-4DE9-871A-5626B915A9C8.jpeg

40EA3D5F-6FC7-411E-9437-EE7951C7137C.jpeg

A7AF81A0-62D6-45C4-984E-647C8205958D.jpeg

First let me say, Nice Sled,   So to be totally honest with you the trailer is short for the boat. Bunks extend to far behind the last cross bar. That being said if you decide to move the axle back, and if your going to continue to use the trailer you should. I would estimate two to four inches. If you have a Torsion axle like Outlaw I would try his method. One less hole to drill. 

• Like 2

An easy fix to the overall problem is to  simply  buy a longer tongue

This will let you move the winch and bow stop forward and then move the boat forward  on the trailer.  I agree there is too much boat on unsupported bunks past the end of the trailer. 

I like for the back of the trailer to be at the transom plug.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, smilemaker said:

An easy fix to the overall problem is to  simply  buy a longer tongue

This will let you move the winch and bow stop forward and then move the boat forward  on the trailer.  I agree there is too much boat on unsupported bunks past the end of the trailer. 

I like for the back of the trailer to be at the transom plug.

The only problem I see with moving the winch forward that far is the keel hitting the end of the tongue where it connects to the cross bar. 

1 hour ago, jh141 said:

First let me say, Nice Sled,   So to be totally honest with you the trailer is short for the boat. Bunks extend to far behind the last cross bar. That being said if you decide to move the axle back, and if your going to continue to use the trailer you should. I would estimate two to four inches. If you have a Torsion axle like Outlaw I would try his method. One less hole to drill. 

Thanks u sir! Yeah I believe this would be the best solution without having to adjust all the bunks. 

1 hour ago, HoneyB said:

Find a used trailer and sell that one. Would be close to a wash as far as money goes. That trailer is too small which means the axel is likely undersized and it will eventually lead to the axel bending and uneven tire wear. 

Definitely got some uneven tire wear happening. Just repowered the boat I think my wife might have a conniption if I say I want a get a different trailer 

Moving the winch is the reason for a new tongue. When you  move the winch stand it may be uncomfortably close to the vehicle.  12 in or so should be  all it needs.

When the boat is moved forward rework the bunks and place some keel rollers. 

If you need space for storage now would be  the  time to add a swing tongue.

• Like 1

I agree with previous posts that the trailer is the wrong size for the boat.  For your safety, and that of others, I would not tow that boat anywhere, until the weight of the load is shifted forward or you replace the trailer.  Here is a simulation of what happens when a trailer is back-loaded without enough tongue weight:

Credit to fellow member Lurem for this video

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, HoneyB said:

https://brunswick.craigslist.org/bpo/d/waycross-magic-tilt-boat-trailer/7364135368.html

not mine just an example of what one might could find on the inter web 

I’m in central Florida so shouldn’t be hard to find one. Finding one that’s not a rusted POS is another story.  Still weighing my options though. Leaning toward moving the axle back. 4-6 inches. Seems like the least complicated option 

It sounds like you are set on trying to resolve the problem without spending coin. I am with smilemaker that the cost of a tongue is likely your most cost effective way to make do with the trailer you have. Moving the axel is going to be a pain in the butt. Obviously you will have to be very certain the holes are drilled square so the tires are true.  My opinion for what’s it’s worth is you are taking the most difficult solution to your problem. Save a Dime to spend a Dollar.   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HoneyB said:

It sounds like you are set on trying to resolve the problem without spending coin. I am with smilemaker that the cost of a tongue is likely your most cost effective way to make do with the trailer you have. Moving the axel is going to be a pain in the butt. Obviously you will have to be very certain the holes are drilled square so the tires are true.  My opinion for what’s it’s worth is you are taking the most difficult solution to your problem. Save a Dime to spend a Dollar.   

9 minutes ago, HoneyB said:

Thx for the advice fellers. I looked at it today after work and seems like it’s definitely doable to move everything forward. Get a longer tongue, a winch post with less of an angle and move it in front of the A section. Main bunks can be unbolted and re drilled. Keel/middle bunks can be raised up a few inches to clear the end of the tongue. Also gonna replace the trailer tires with radials. 
As far as a longer trailer goes there would still have to be a lot of adjustments made to make it work for my boat and who knows what probs I could be inheriting. Just my thoughts 

Agree with all others, longer tongue, same post.  I noticed in the picture that your vessel is not all the way forward as well.  It is not resting against the bumper on the post.  and it may be an illusion but it looks like your trim tabs are hitting the rear bunk edge keeping the vessel from going all the way forward.  Am I seeing things or is that the case.  You want to make sure that the vessel is resting against the bumper so that it does not bounce and hit going down the road. This wills save wear and tear on the bow.  Send pics when job is complete, would love to see how it came out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RacerxV6 said:

Agree with all others, longer tongue, same post.  I noticed in the picture that your vessel is not all the way forward as well.  It is not resting against the bumper on the post.  and it may be an illusion but it looks like your trim tabs are hitting the rear bunk edge keeping the vessel from going all the way forward.  Am I seeing things or is that the case.  You want to make sure that the vessel is resting against the bumper so that it does not bounce and hit going down the road. This wills save wear and tear on the bow.  Send pics when job is complete, would love to see how it came out.

Yeah you are seeing it correct. When it’s in the water it’s cranked all the way up. Then when I pull it out of the water it rises up an inch or two so it not touching. So I definitely have some adjusting to do. Anyone know the thickness of the tongue metal? Trying to order a piece locally and they need to know what thickness I need. Y’all have been super helpful and it’s much appreciated!  Thx! 

1 hour ago, Blue98RF19 said:

Yeah you are seeing it correct. When it’s in the water it’s cranked all the way up. Then when I pull it out of the water it rises up an inch or two so it not touching. So I definitely have some adjusting to do. Anyone know the thickness of the tongue metal? Trying to order a piece locally and they need to know what thickness I need. Y’all have been super helpful and it’s much appreciated!  Thx! 

Been looking at my trailer and some others on the web. I think your tongue may be long enough to get things much better. I have seen many trailers now that you got me looking that have the bow stop/winch stand mounted front of the A- frame. I saw one trailer that had a roller mounted where the back of the tongue mounts to the cross bar to protect the front of the boat from ever hitting any metal. If it were me and I had to make this trailer work for now (feel free to completely ignore me, I am going by pics) I would remove the spare tire mount and tongue jack. I would winch the boat forward  until I get the proper tongue weight (10 percent of total weight) and then reconfigure the tire mount, winch stand and bunks so all is clear and happy. I think you can get that done with the length of tongue you currently have at no expense which means happy wife and more cash for fishing. 

The tip of the bow of my boat is only 4 feet back from the tip of my trailer. I have a factory rigged Ameritral.

Just my Opinion, maybe it will help LOL 

• Like 1