Lowrance guru’s?

Miss Jazzy

I’m currently running a 12” HDS gen 2 touch. I found a good deal on a 9” HDS gen 3. I’m thinking about adding it along with my gen 2 mainly so I won’t have yo run split screen anymore. My gen 2 has regular skimmer transducer and the structure scan. The gen 3 has skimmer and total scan. Would I benefit by replacing the ss with total scan or is there that much difference? I know it adds chirp but is it worth the trouble? 

2 hours ago, FINCHASER said:

Theres mixed opinions on total scan vs SS but quite a few say TS is a bit of an upgrade but not sure the GEN 3 will run it.  IMO if you use the structure scan or want to, look for a carbon or bite the bullet and get a live unit and get active imaging it is amazing 

Yes I use the SS quiet often. I fish a lot of offshore structure like reefs and hard bottom and I love the SS for pin pointing those spots. Do you think the active imaging would be best for that type of fishing over the SS? 

3 minutes ago, smilemaker said:

If you fish offshore structure like  I do the best accessory is hummingbird 360 and spotlock 

This allows you to know  your  orientation over the structure so you can fish the edges.

Keep wondering  how long for Lowrance to get  in on the action.

Thanks but I’m definitely not switching brands. I have no trouble with my current machine and not looking to upgrade. But if I can go to dual units fairly cheep and possibly get better resolution I’ll go that direction. If money was no object I’d be running Simrad. Lol 

2 hours ago, Miss Jazzy said:

Yes I use the SS quiet often. I fish a lot of offshore structure like reefs and hard bottom and I love the SS for pin pointing those spots. Do you think the active imaging would be best for that type of fishing over the SS? 

Yes 100% would be best.... thats exactly how I use mine.  Previous boat had a gen 3 and an LSS2.... new boat HDS live / AI, the difference is night and day... it will read much further out (higher range) which is needed in the deeper water offshore and has better detail and clarity.  1st screen shot has some interference as it was choppy that day but note the sand ridges in 2nd 1

Screenshot_2021-05-13_09.10.13.png

Screenshot_2020-08-12_12.33.05.png