Costa or Maui Jims progressive prescription glasses ?

THE OUTLAW

Getting a new pair of glasses soon and have been a long time Costa customer , but am thinking of getting some Maui Jims .

I have had my single vision Costas , for about 8 years , with zero issues .

I know people dont like their customer service , but I have never had a problem .

Never had Maui’s so just wanted to see how they rate .

The progressive lens’ are expensive , and want to make the right choice .

Thanks in advance .

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️

I have been a Costa wearer for many, many years. There was a time I was very impressed. The last four or five years have put them in the same as any other category, they no longer stand out.  I have never had Maui Jims so I can not say they are a stand a out among the rest company.  JMO  and recent experience.

Can't speak for either but would like to give my 2cents on what I did.  I have worn glasses since my early 20's due to computer screens.  When I started looing at getting a new boat and my ultimate purchase, I wanted to be able to be out on the water with out having to worry about prescription sunglasses.  At age 54 I decided to do Lasik.  I love it because I can wear any type of manufacturer glasses and not worry about it.  The only draw back is i lost some of my close up vision due to age, nothing readers can't handle.  Outlaw, I know how much progressive sunglasses cost "$450-$550" and they are not cheap especially when they are made from varilux lenses. Perhaps getting the Lasik is the way to go that way you can choose any manufactures glasses that you want.  Again, just my 2 cents.  I currently wear Costas.

I use only Mau Jims and I buy them for the Eye Center in Pembrooke Pines.

Have been buying them for years.....I get a new pair about every 4 years or if my eyesight changes...

I don't like to do the discount online progressives as they must be fitted properly.

@ OUtlaw where are you getting them from ....and yes, they are $$$$$....so you need to weld a few more towers :)

dc

I've been wearing Maui's with progressive lenses for about 5 years. The lenses are awesome and I only had to use their warranty service once, in 5 years. The warranty process was painless and without cost.

My eye DR. sells both Costa and Maui but they have a lot better luck and service with Maui. The time from exam to picking up the glasses was about 2 weeks, so that's not to bad  

My wife and I recently switched from Costas to Smith sunglasses. I have had progressive lenses in both. My wife and I both agree the Smith lenses are noticeably better than the Costa lenses. They just seem clearer and easier on the eyes than the Costas. It's hard to explain, but you'll know what I mean when you put them on. My wife and I both purchased the Chromapop polarized brown colored lenses. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, flatsdoctor said:

do you guys have problems with polarized progressives, distorting distances or depth perception?

I found my self  getting stuck poling in what I thought was like 10 or 11 inches of water and when I removed them, i was only 5  or 6 inches.

No, have noticed changes in seeing some electronics. 

2 hours ago, flatsdoctor said:

distorting distances or depth perception?

Yes, all my fish are bigger when I'm wearing my Maui Jims :)

No on the real question...I found that they must be properly made where the progressive line crosses the distance....I've been wearing progressives for the last 15 years, and I wear a specialized computer lense when I'm in front of the PC....it took a while when I first got the progressives to get the "head tilt" down, but, after many years...it's second nature....

dc

On 8/13/2021 at 9:38 AM, MikeH said:

My wife and I recently switched from Costas to Smith sunglasses. I have had progressive lenses in both. My wife and I both agree the Smith lenses are noticeably better than the Costa lenses. They just seem clearer and easier on the eyes than the Costas. It's hard to explain, but you'll know what I mean when you put them on. My wife and I both purchased the Chromapop polarized brown colored lenses. 

My wife and I switched to Smith's, too about 3 year ago. I still have some Costa's lying around, but with Luxottica (sp) buying Costa out a year or so ago, the only way for them is down. 

With that being said, Smith's warranty service has been much better than I ever would have imagined. MY initial "buy in" for the Smith glasses were a composite lens, which delaminated after 18 months. I sent pictures in to their warranty dept. and they gave a code to use on their website good for the purchase price of those specific glasses. No mail in, no shipping back, etc. I was responsible for additional upgrade charges and shipping to me. My upgraded glasses arrived from Oregon a week later. I finally broke said glasses out of the dresser about 3 weeks ago. While browsing a local produce stand, a lady bumped into my and my glasses fell off my hat brim and shattered the left lens on the concrete (glass now). I emailed Smith asking for options and repairs costs as they're brand new. I was met with an email the next morning with another code to use on their website for the purchase price of the glasses....I was to cover shipping or upgrades. This was 100% my fault and I outlined that to them, yet they still ponied up a replacement pair. This is above and beyond in anyone's book. Smith it is. 

With that being said, and I can't speak to their progressive lenses or if they have them, Bajio is a new brand out of New Smyrna, and they used to supply the lenses to Costa. Maybe they're worth looking at as an option. 

• Like 1

So I just got back from my exam and after listening to everyone here and the staff at Jazzy Eyes , I went with the Maui Jims .

You were right .

Costa has been sold , and the new owners are not the same and the product is not as well .

Went with the Southern Cross and the HCL Bronze lens .

Thanks again everyone !

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️

• Like 1

On 8/20/2021 at 4:49 PM, THE OUTLAW said:

So I just got back from my exam and after listening to everyone here and the staff at Jazzy Eyes , I went with the Maui Jims .

You were right .

Costa has been sold , and the new owners are not the same and the product is not as well .

Went with the Southern Cross and the HCL Bronze lens .

Thanks again everyone !

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️

I'm going to move to Maui.  Looking for an everyday driver plus will use for spying on those linesiders.  I have an XL frame face/head.  Maui is limited in that dept and we don't have any local dealers.  Any suggestions on XL frames that cut out light for fishing?  

I went with the Southern Cross .

XL frame and fits better than my Costa Permits .

The HCL Bronze lens , seems much clearer and sharper , than any Costa lens .

They were  not cheap , thank goodness for insurance .

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️

If you go on Maui’s web site , you can try on any pair virtually .

16D2E512-C783-4B0E-AC81-6D4AB6A6DB4B.thumb.png.427fa6ce77281f510dc6cdfefd3af078.png

• Like 1