Pathfinder 2400trs electronics upgrade

Ms. Magoo

2 hours ago, Ms. Magoo said:

Thanks I was looking at installing a thru hull transducer but not sure if that is wise. 

I’ll only repeat what my Daddy told me about 30 years ago. I was installing a thru hull on my 20’ Boston Whaler Outrage and he looked under the boat as I just about to start drilling with the hole saw. 

He said “ Son, the two places you NEVER drill a hole are the roof of your house and the bottom of your boat. “

I’ve never forgotten that....unless there is absolutely no other alternative....I still live by his words of wisdom. JJ

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ms. Magoo said:

Thanks for the advice. I am now leaning to a 1243 with a GT56 transom mount transducer 

You can see where mine is mounted in pic above, it works great , very clear with no “ noise” or false depth readings at all speeds.  My unit does have the preloaded Blue Chart g3 maps and they are very accurate. The clear vu and side vu scan are also very high definition and you can clearly see out both sides of boat. The fish and bait that hang around structure such as dock pilings, bridge support post, etc. are also very clear. One note : I did have to buy the Garmin Transducer Spray Shield because water was spraying up the transom and splashing on motor and back deck. Not a lot of water, but enough to be aggravating in the winter. The simple spray shield eliminated all spray and was an easy install. You can actually see the shield in the picture sitting on top of transducer and pushedup against the transom. 

I looked up the 1243 with GT56 and it looks like the spray shield is included. 👍

i hope this helps. JJ

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

I would not consider a Garmin anymore...I was a GARMIN owner for 18 years...I went SIMRAD and now to Lowrance to run the FMT chip...they are significantly more accurate and if you are going to run any shallow water areas I would definitely run anything but GARMIN due to FMT not being able to run on it.

dc

Wanna.... I am not familiar with the FMT chip mainly because I fish Ga and South Carolina waters....I do understand the usage on the Florida Marine Tracking....but, currently I’m happy with the service that my Garmin provides. I do however totally agree that Simrad makes some very good high quality units. I’m just a simple South Georgia fisherman that doesn’t require a lot of electronics to get to my fishing areas. If I lived down in Florida, I would certainly look into the FMT. 

Because Florida has so many more licensed fisherman and registered boats I’m sure the big companies will cater more products for them because of marketing.....Georgia doesn’t have anywhere near the amount of coastline that Florida does. 

Thanks buddy, JJ 👍🎣

9 hours ago, fishmanjj said:

I do understand the usage on the Florida Marine Tracking..

Google it....it's transforming shallow water fishing...in a good and bad way....I fished Chokoloskee for 15 years with my Garmins...

I have owned a 3210, the 740, and the 741xs....did they work..yes, offshore, the 3210 was great for sounding the reefs (on my PF22); the 740 was probably one of the better units and most accurate....but, the 741xs was horrible..every time we'd be within 50 feet of the mangroves, it would have you in mangroves and not in the water...

The SIMRAD is probably the tops and fastest processor when it first came out; however, now that the lowrance is upgrading it's units, their processors have become very robust and you need a fast processor when running the FMT as you are running a red line track at cruise, and if you stray in some areas, you literally will be up on an oyster bar in the back country.....

The advantage of the FMT is it has opened up many areas to fisherman that has only been run by guides with local knowledge..

Garmin is a world class company - nearly every airline has Garmin GPS and aviation guidance....large ocean going freighters are Garmin equipped...I just think that for the inshore fisherman who wants to use the open platform for mapping - the NAVICO, Simrad, and lowrance are the better choice.

DC

• Like 1

Honest question. Do you guys using the Florida Marine Tracks feel as if some of the adventure has been lost while searching new areas for fish? It has got to piss off longtime guides and fisherman who learned it through years of exploration. I’m up here in SC so no FMT for us. I grew up fishing and learning the creeks with my dad in a Jon boat. His depth finder for the longest time was a 4ft boat paddle. 

5 hours ago, Carolinadrifter said:

Do you guys using the Florida Marine Tracks feel as if some of the adventure has been lost while searching new areas for fish?

For me, the FMT has allowed me to explore some areas that were not accessible based upon my Garmin...I had my own tracks for over 10 years....but, it does provide guidance to new areas I did not normally fish....examples are: areas of White Water Bay, out front in Flamingo, in and around the river mouths of the Harney, Rodgers, LostMan, etc.

The FMT takes you along known routes but you still have explore well off the routes to get to fishing spots..

It's a useful tool....but, it has added many more people into the shallow water game - at least for now....

It's not really a "fish finder or something with spots"...it just takes you across areas to allow you go out and back safely.  There really is not many spots that I have fished where the FMT has allowed me to stop and catch fish...well, to be honest....I can't seem to catch fish anymore...it's more like a Saturday boat ride :)

DC

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
11 hours ago, Smoak352 said:

Do you want to be able to read bottom while causing speed? If so then you need to go through-hull. 

Sorry, not true it’s all in the placement  of the transducer. Every boat I have owned has had readable speed/bottom at any speed be it transom mount or in hull. Have been on boats where thru hulls have lost bottom/speed at certain speeds.

• Thanks 1