Boat problems if kept on lift ?

Benefitman

I have kept the Hewes in garage most off-the-water time since 2007. Great condition with engine and boat, electrical, plumbing, pumps, rubber, et. al.  I now plan to keep it on a new lift most of the year except cold months in NC.  What new problems am I facing with engine and boat maintenance issues that might happen due to being in the weather and hot sun so much. What should I be looking for?  Thanks for your ideas.  Ray

Your not facing any problems just some maintenance. Have had boats in water for 50 years. First, make sure lift fits and supports boat properly like your trailer so as to prevent transom hook and stringer issues. Keep the boat and engine washed and waxed when needed. Have a cover for the engine cowling and over the console to prevent sun fading and damage.  If not going to use for long periods may want a full cover for the boat. Carver makes excellent pre made covers for entire boat including engine. Less expensive than custom made. Keep scupper drains clean for water drainage. Can have Battery Tender to keep them fully charged. If away from boat for periods of time have a friend or neighbor check on it every couple of weeks and buy him a case of beer. Really not to worry it will be fine. I’m in Florida and several of my neighbors are snowbirds with lift kept boats and leave them for several months at a time, 6-12 months and all is well with their boats. 😀👍️Fin.

X2 to Fin Addict, Both our boats are on lifts all year. The pathfinder is on a sling and the Maverick a trapeze. I have the scupper drain on the Maverick turned around so you can pull it from inside but in order to make that work I had to move the bilge pump a little. Can't do that on the Pathfinder and I don't know about a Hewes. Battery charges are a must just to make sure the battery powering the bilge pump has a full charge all of the time just in case the drains plug with junk. Wax protection is a big deal unless you are going to pull the boat a couple of times a year. I have switched over to Top Coat F11 for all of my polish work. Once you get half a dozen coats on the boat you get great UV protection. Our Maverick is black and has its stern facing west and I have had nothing but TopCoat on it since 2017 and it has never been buffed.

Just one last comment: My neighbor had a clear UV protectant wrap put on his boat. Works great but his straps rubbed through the wrap so if you are thinking about that make sure the boat is on a trapeze.

I don’t own a trailer, boat has been on lift since new. Verify bunk spacing on lift to support boat accordingly. I have a float charger for all batteries, but I also pull my drain plug to not rely on the bilge pump and to allow the hull to air out. On my boat the bilge pump will not pull all the water out of the bilge; having the drain plug pulled allows the water to drain and provide air circulation to the hull. I ceramic coated boat; ceramic significantly outlast any wax product. I’ve also had a full mooring cover since new to keep the boat fully protected from the environment.  

600CFC0D-0EEA-4C1E-B429-107083B8FC4D.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks Fin, Chuck and AFE, I appreciate your suggestions. Any thoughts on possible deterioration of pumps, plumbing hoses, electric wiring, gauges, etc? The Hewes 18 Redfisher has side drains. A particular challenge is to consider keeping the fancy transom drain open, but difficult to close it when ready to fish. I guess I could ride the kayak to the stern to tighten it up., and hope the boat and engine don't come down on my head. 

On a side note I just got word from my dock and lift contractor. Said aluminum cost going up over 20%.  The lift manufacturer has just announced an average 21.5% price increase, their first since 4/30/20.  It may impact my decision for the anticipated lift, dock, ramp, landing. Wow!  Ray

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Benefitman said:

Thanks Fin, Chuck and AFE, I appreciate your suggestions. Any thoughts on possible deterioration of pumps, plumbing hoses, electric wiring, gauges, etc? The Hewes 18 Redfisher has side drains. A particular challenge is to consider keeping the fancy transom drain open, but difficult to close it when ready to fish. I guess I could ride the kayak to the stern to tighten it up., and hope the boat and engine don't come down on my head. 

On a side note I just got word from my dock and lift contractor. Said aluminum cost going up over 20%.  The lift manufacturer has just announced an average 21.5% price increase, their first since 4/30/20.  It may impact my decision for the anticipated lift, dock, ramp, landing. Wow!  Ray

Not to worry about those items, they will be fine. As suggested, cover the console. Do not know of anyone who pulls their drain plug while on lift. As far as your lift. Look into used ones. Their are several for sale. Next door neighbor had one for sale for a 31 footer. Was asking 4K I think. Nothing wrong with used. 

Above comments covered most of it. I have a covered lift. I still cover the center console, leaning post and motor. I can't get to my drain plug, wish I could. Just looking at a little extra preventative detailing work. I still have my trailer as I pull the boat once or twice a year for extra cleaning and engine maintenance. I would add I recommend keeping your breakers to the lift turned off for extra precaution.