Possible to install Rabud without drilling transom?

cmorales

Is it possible to install Rabud scuppers without drilling the spacer onto the hull?

I use a hull-saver for my transom, and it attached using an epoxy and has held the transducer great for years -- no drilling necessary.

Has anyone used similar approach for Rabud scuppers? Only thing I dont know is: what kind of epoxy those hull saver's come with!

3 hours ago, cmorales said:

Is it possible to install Rabud scuppers without drilling the spacer onto the hull?

I use a hull-saver for my transom, and it attached using an epoxy and has held the transducer great for years -- no drilling necessary.

Has anyone used similar approach for Rabud scuppers? Only thing I dont know is: what kind of epoxy those hull saver's come with!

Im installing a hull saver on mine tomorrow. Will post what epoxy it is when I get home in the AM for you. Not sure about the rest of tour question tho. 

1 hour ago, smilemaker said:

You will need to make a round  spacer out of a pvc type of material  will need to be about  1/2inch thick. Diameter  you will lneed to match the raybuds . Epoxy to hull and then attach raybuds with screws. 

Easy to do  with the right holesaws.

Thank you for the information. When you say spacer I take it you mean RING spacer not solid. Sorry if that sounds stupid. Familiar with the buds but never installed.

I have not used stern saver epoxy, but I would be surprised if it sticks to Starboard.  I would bet, if to don't want to mechanically attach the rabuds, you will have to find some spacers that are not Starboard.

From my experience I would not want mine glued on.  I but mine on in 2003 and have found that every once in a while I take them off to clean them.  Every so often something will get in there that is much easier to get out if you can remove them.  That would not be an easy option if glued on.  If you decide to mechanically attach them, be sure to drill and tap the holes, Do not use "self tapping, sheet metal, or drill screws.  If you do, sooner or latter the gel coat will crack around those screws.

Good luck.

4 minutes ago, Chief5130 said:

I have not used stern saver epoxy, but I would be surprised if it sticks to Starboard.  I would bet, if to don't want to mechanically attach the rabuds, you will have to find some spacers that are not Starboard.

From my experience I would not want mine glued on.  I but mine on in 2003 and have found that every once in a while I take them off to clean them.  Every so often something will get in there that is much easier to get out if you can remove them.  That would not be an easy option if glued on.  If you decide to mechanically attach them, be sure to drill and tap the holes, Do not use "self tapping, sheet metal, or drill screws.  If you do, sooner or latter the gel coat will crack around those screws.

Good luck.

I was still planning to use a spacer -- just mount that spacer using an adhesive (hence the stern saver reference -- trying to use a similar approach).

I just want to avoid ANY screws / bolts through the transom.

The stern saver pad doesn't rely on a weld from the epoxy, but a mechanical hold as the epoxy seeps into threaded holes on one side of their spacer. I think it welds on the boat side, however, against the gelcoat. So, the rabuds spacer does have counter-sunk holes, and if the epoxy can ooze in through those, it might work in the same way.

1 hour ago, Shallowminded6 said:

Well the stern saver epoxy doesnt list what type epoxy or any ingredients to try and find a close match. Maybe you can email them or see if you can buy straight thru them. 

image.jpg

Thanks for the photo!

Doesnt look like they have an SDS on their website for this (which they probably should), given it's hazardous. I also cant seem to find a perfectly matching retail epoxy syringe.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Moderator said:

Just a thought, Wouldn’t it be better to bed the PVC onto the transom with 4200, so it could be removed/ repaired with de-bond ?  The epoxy is forever and would not allow for new Rabuds or replacing a broken one.. 

My hope was to attach the spacer using an adhesive. Then the rabuds to the spacer, making it easy to remove the rabuds since they were screwed into the spacer

If you sufficently attached the spacer to the transom with some form of adhesive you could then attach the actual Rabuds to the spacer ring using  drilled & tapped stainless steel machine screws...  This would allow for easy removal for whatever reason... 

I know that StarBoard will definitely not with bond using any sort of adhesive...  I'm not sure about the bond integrity using  a PVC material for the spacer material because some PVCs are brittle.... 

If it were me and I didn't want any holes drilled in my transom I would use 1/2" sheet fiberglass for the spacer material and I guarantee that would bond to the hull and it can easily be drilled and tapped... 

• Like 2