What reel to buy?? Need help/opinions please

Island Style

I use Daiwa BG reels and noticed many others switching that way as well.

here is my reasoning:

they seem to be at a great point on the value scale, it is a great reel at the $100ish range

non mag sealed means you are able to service yourself or have a local shop do it without sending it in.

all I do is spray them off after a trip and do minimal maintenance, just replace when they get rough and keep the old for spare parts. (I will not let anyone fish a reel with a bad bearing or grimey retrieve as it drives me mad)

I have had them dropped and thrown over, fished with locked down drag for structure and generally beat the snot out of them, they hold up well.

Penn Battles for all the same reasons as SouthernWake states above.  I have 2500, 3000, 4000 and 6000's They play very well with brad line, are smooth and durable. 

I grew up using Daiwa BG reels. My FAV was a BG 10 with 6 # mono on an 8 ft. Custom Biscayne Rod. Would cast a mile, perfect for WW Bay. That was way before Braded line.  Can not remember why I moved to Penn but they are both Great for the Money.

2 hours ago, Bamaskeet said:

I’m with fishmanjj, I’ve had great luck with Shimano Stradics.  Diawa makes some good reels but spare parts can be a problem.

I went to daiwa as I had issues with my shimanos holding up (mainly bearings). I did love my old wood handle stradics.

spare parts have always been an easy call and order from daiwa when needed.

• Like 1

Shimano (Stradic) moved operations out of Alabama and sent it over sea's to Taiwan or Korea, years ago. The white reels, what were they FH's were the last ones built in Alabama and parts for those are hard to come by because when they moved operations they went with all new tooling. This is what was explained to me by my rod & reel repairman. Maybe quality decreased a little as well?

I have heard nothing but good things about the Quantum Smokes from buddies who fish HARD! Diawa has stepped up there game but I recently bought a 5000 BG and have a few issues with the bail no locking properly.

16 hours ago, SouthernWake said:

I use Daiwa BG reels and noticed many others switching that way as well.

here is my reasoning:

they seem to be at a great point on the value scale, it is a great reel at the $100ish range

non mag sealed means you are able to service yourself or have a local shop do it without sending it in.

all I do is spray them off after a trip and do minimal maintenance, just replace when they get rough and keep the old for spare parts. (I will not let anyone fish a reel with a bad bearing or grimey retrieve as it drives me mad)

I have had them dropped and thrown over, fished with locked down drag for structure and generally beat the snot out of them, they hold up well.

I bought 2 BG reels on the advice from Islamarado tackle shop, said all the guides are using them.  That was in 2017 and have since purchased 3 more and all have held up great.  

• Like 1

I am not happy with the newer Shimanos.  I have a couple of CI4's that have been disappointing.  I have some Penn Battles that are tough little reels and I have had few issues and parts are available if needed.  I just bought a DAIWA PROCYON AL SERIES.  It is my first Daiwa reel in my 50+ years of fishing, so far very happy.  I have also heard good thing about the Quantum Smoke.

I was shimano for many years...all makes and models...

Now, they lasted for a good 10 years....but, I decided I wanted match rods and reels...

about 3 years I went with the penn battles and st croix avid rods....all the same...battles 2500

I find that this is the most important aspect...each rod and reel combo feels the same in your hands...I bought extra spools and spool with 10 lb suffix 832 and 15 lb 832...

each time you pick it up it casts the same in your hands vs a different weight of the rod and reel combo.....

I have 4 rods and 4 reels....normally 3 go on the skiff per trip....1 popping cork, 2 others with artificial....

But, I only fish with one at a time :)   unless of course I have the "chunk" rod out :):)

dc

• Like 1

On 9/23/2021 at 10:06 AM, Limitless said:

I've started using Florida businesses products the past few years and really like the Florida Fishing Products Osprey reels and their carbon model.  I've also picked up a couple Bull Bay rods and I'm very pleased with them as well.

I’ve used Stadic Ci4’s for the past 5-6 years and loved them but unfortunately they are not sealed very well. Had to keep replacing bearings they were rusted and anti reverse mechanisms that kept failing. I swapped them out for the FFP Carbon’s and so far I’m extremely pleased with them. Very well made.