Prop Suggestions 18hpxv F-115 **Updated**

Tender

Looking for a prop for my new to me 2012 18HPXV with standard F-115 mounted at the lowest hole. Currently running a Solas 21p 3 blade. Pretty happy with speed and RPM 48mph at 6000rpm, however at cruise speeds very little trim results in quite a bit of prop slip which gets worse in turns. High cruise speed to WOT I can trim through the roof with no issue.

Usually I run 1-2 people with empty livewell and minimal gear. Would the Yamaha Talon SS4 in a 20pitch be a good setup? Anything better? Just looking for some advice and direction.

Thanks!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well after reading the threads on here I tried the Mercury Spitfire X-7 19p and the Yamaha Talon SS4 18p which seem to be the top contenders. Motor is standard F-115.

Mercury Spitfire

4300 rpm trimmed with a little tab 34.3mph

WOT trimmed 48.8mph at 6k

WOT no trim 41.9

Yamaha Talon

4300 rpm trimmed with a little tab 33.7mph

WOT trimmed 47.2mph at 6100

WOT no trim 41.1

Here is my thoughts on the 2 after running them both within the same hour. I ran each prop through multiple hole shot runs/WOT/cruise speed/ and tight turns with and without livewell full. The Yamaha seemed stronger out of the hole and noticeably quicker to plane after the livewell was loaded. Both props I was able to trim up considerably without losing bite or blowing out. The Mercury did seem to slip a little more in the corners and also seemed to have a little slip in the hole shot.

The SDS on the Yamaha is great and smooths out shifting in and out of gear. Both props I feel are great options and are leaps and bounds above my current Solas 3 blade 21p. I am keeping the Talon and will most likely try moving the motor up 1 hole to see how it runs because it has some much grip and so much range of trim.

Hope this helps someone.

• Like 1

• Tender changed the title to Prop Suggestions 18hpxv F-115 **Updated**
  • 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to follow up on this one more time. Anyone tried the Talon SS4 in a 20p with this setup?

Still digging this prop trim is insane as is hole shot and handling. Just curious what a 20p would do since I normally run pretty light. If anyone is around Charlotte Harbor and has one to I'd love to borrow it, I'd throw in a case of beer of your choosing for demo fee. LOL

• 4 months later...

I run pretty light as well. Can’t remember the last time I used my livewell or live bait.

Did you ever move the motor up one hole to see how she performs? 

I’ve had a few sources tell me the best all around prop for the 18HPX/F115 is a Yamaha Pro 21p which is now discontinued but I think Powertech makes a replicate model. That’s probably what I’ll go with when I repower this spring. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/28/2022 at 4:33 PM, conocean said:

Thanks.

F115. Pretty sure I’m going to stick with a 21p Yamaha Pro I found new on ebay thanks to Geeviam. I got really great feedback on it from a guide who ran the same setup. The 19p Yamaha Pro has been awesome on my F90 the past 10+ years. 

When you get it done post up the numbers. I searched all over for the Yamaha Talon SS4 20p and no one anywhere has one in stock, Yamaha is back ordered with no available date. So unfortunately that prop is out for the time being. Would like a high tide summer/loaded light prop in addition to the holeshot wintertime prop.

• 3 months later...

Well I finally ordered the Talon SS4 in a 20p. After having the 18 pitch and running it all winter, the speeds I was seeing in my initial testing have come down a bit. I have been consistently seeing 44-45 ready to fish, casting platform cost a little speed also. I consistently ran out of RPMs with the 18p since my F115 only runs to 6100.

To the 20 pitch, after having to wait on it to come in I got a chance to run it for the first time last night. As expected I continued to see the great lift and great grip/range of trim without blowing out. This prop just stays hooked up. Cruise speed is excellent which is what I was after with this prop. By myself with 3/4+ tank fuel, 2 batteries in the bow, trolling motor and casting platform it would touch 50.

Overall VERY happy with this prop and stoked about the performance of it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I’ve put 8 hours on my new F115 so far. It’s mounted on the top hole. Feels like a different boat & handles more assertively with the extra hp. I sometimes run long distances so I like the 21p Yamaha Pro prop, overall. It likes to run straight & lifts the bow plenty but will not stay stuck in fast turns. That’s about the only thing it doesn’t do well. The boat gets up on plane instantly, compared to my old F90.  

I hit 50.3mph @5900rpm by myself, 20gallons, 45Rtic, TM, PP, gear etc. 46mph @5900rpm with another person aboard. Maybe one day I’ll push her into 6k rpm but I highly doubt it. 4400rpm / 37-38mph felt & sounded best for all around cruise speed. 

I’ll post fuel burn info after I put more hours on her. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, conocean said:

I’ve put 8 hours on my new F115 so far. It’s mounted on the top hole. Feels like a different boat & handles more assertively with the extra hp. I sometimes run long distances so I like the 21p Yamaha Pro prop, overall. It likes to run straight & lifts the bow plenty but will not stay stuck in fast turns. That’s about the only thing it doesn’t do well. The boat gets up on plane instantly, compared to my old F90.  

I hit 50.3mph @5900rpm by myself, 20gallons, 45Rtic, TM, PP, gear etc. 46mph @5900rpm with another person aboard. Maybe one day I’ll push her into 6k rpm but I highly doubt it. 4400rpm / 37-38mph felt & sounded best for all around cruise speed. 

Nice !!!

Gotta be loving da extra ponies :)

dc

8 hours ago, conocean said:

Congrats Conocean!  I predict you will see upwards of 8 mpg at 4200 RPM cruise with your setup, based on what I got with my 115 SHO - and the fact your hull is a little more efficient than my RF 16 was.  I think the VF115 SHO and F115 are the same motor coming off the assembly line, with a different paint job.  You may want to reach out to Dabear on the prop slipping in turns.  I'm not sure but I think he raised his 115 SHO on the transom to the 2nd bolt hole and had a little bit of special sauce added to the cup on his Yamaha Pro Series 21-K for better grip and speed.