Can't fill gas tank all the way up 23 HPS

BLAINE

I can't get the full 58 gallons into my 2018 23 HPS. I figure I am getting 48-50 before pump shuts off. After that, I can get about a tenth of a gallon in at a time in before it shuts off. I usually quit after a gallon or so extra. After some research it appears to be because of the charcoal cannister and EPA regulations? I tried adding a 5 gallon gas can worth of gas to the boat after I had "filled up" the day before and it worked with no issues. The boat was lifted up all the way on the jack. Not sure if that was why? Any ideas? Is it a bad idea to remove the charcoal cannister? Thanks in advance.  

If you were able to add an additional 5 gals, by raising the front of the boat, then it's possible that the problem is how the boat sits on the trailer. When in the water, the boat sits stern down and bow up. Have you tried filling up while on the water?

The charcoal cannister has been blamed for problems relating to filling the tank on several occasions. My understanding is that the cannister is required by EPA on newer models and probably would be some sort of violation to remove it. 

You can add from the gas can because the gas can doesn’t have an automatic cut off like a pump does.

The vent is probably clogged just enough that when the tank gets close to being full there isn’t enough vapor passing through the vent and it trips the pump mechanism.

The system is probably clogged from being overfilled, and, over time crud gets built up. This is why you should never overfill your tank - some cars, like Honda, are notorious for having the fuel venting systems damaged from overfilling the tank.

On 10/13/2021 at 2:12 PM, fin-addict said:

Also check the run of the vent tube, May have a kink or bad bend, common. Good luck 😀👍

On my old 2300 i had quite a problem filling.  I chased it down to vent. I  ended up cutting about 2' off the vent tube

and reconnected it.  problem solved.. it was literally wrapped around the center console, all through a little access hole.. 

Blaine, 

On my 2013 HPS there is an access to the gas tank vent system. It's located in the port side rod locker, directly below the gas tank fill cap. 

You mentioned that you raised the front of your trailer 4". Just keep in mind that you want your trailer as level as possible when towing. It makes a difference in the stability of the trailer and how your tires ware. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The vent (the actual metal part welded onto the fuel tank) on my 2500 was inoperable from the factory. Numerous attempts to resolve slow and incomplete fueling were made by my dealer. The fix was to drill into the tank top and install a new vent that the tank manufacturer provided. It's worked as it should ever since then. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I have been having a problem filling my 2017 Pathfinder. It took a very long time to fill the tank. Removed the carbon filter in the tank vent line and it was hard to blow through. I bypassed it yesterday. Hopefully that will take care of the problem.

Any reason the carbon filter needs to be there other than regulations?

49E61370-6FC5-4011-86E2-03EC6228FAB4.jpeg

• 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi All, 

I recently experienced an issue where the tank was not venting accordingly and was limiting the fuel supply to the engine due the fuel system creating a vacuum on the tank with not allowing air in the tank. I went to order a new charcoal canister thinking it was just as easy item to order, but that proved to be a challenge (significant back order currently). I decided to research other options to maintain the charcoal canister in place, but certainly had the brass barbed fitting on standby in the Amazon shopping cart if I could not find another option. I stumbled upon this option in the video below. I didn’t have an air compressor or air tool in the video, but this gave me a good reason (excuse) to buy an air compressor. I can say after following this video, it did work. At first with the fuel cap off and the vent cap removed, I attempted to inject air like the video and all I got was back pressure as the air was not passing through. I attempted this a few times, then reversed the air flow with injecting air into the fuel fill area, then went back to injecting air into the vent hole area, and then the air was flowing freely. 

There is further discussion on this fuel canister that goes into more depth, as I wanted to learn what caused this issue and how to prevent the issue. Apparently from the research I observed with the charcoal canister in place you are supposed to limit the amount fuel in the tank to 80% of capacity to not saturate the charcoal canister, which would reduce range by 20%. My 2300 HPS is a 2015 and since new I have always filled to full capacity and just experienced this venting issue after 8 years of use, so I’m not going to limit fuel capacity to 80%, but just thought I would share in case any others experienced the same issue. 

• Like 2